ZAR -> USD -> AUD

Tiermelk

I am not to sure about the capital gains tax, I guess if you made a profit in between the time it takes you to go back to fiat then it might apply. But then again so what? The tax is just on the gains not the full amount? Or what am I missing.....

I think I will ask a couple of the AUS exchanges, I am sure they get the question a lot. Will let you know when I know.

Thanks @Leroy. I think in general, determining capital gains could become complicated if you accumulated Bitcoin over an extended period of time and/or did a lot of trading, because you need to keep track of every purchase cost (i.e. converting fiat to BTC). Personally, I see Bitcoin as a long term investment so I prefer to buy and hold, and wait for it mature into a more stable store of value. At some point in the future it will hopefully become easier to spend on goods and services (although I see you can already pay some bills in Oz with Bitcoin).