New in Sydney and accommodation advice :)

Scarlette

Hi All

We landed 3 weeks ago, myself, my husband and 2 year old daughter and we have been a roller coaster ride for the last three months!!  I was offered a job opportunity and was given only 1.5 months to pack up and relocate.  A whole different story, would save it for another day ;)

For the last three weeks we have been in two AIRBNB accommodation, and tomorrow we have to hunt for our third AIRBNB, because finding a rental in Sydney is very very difficult.

We have been to 4 show houses today, as we did the previous two weekends, in the Meadowbank and West Ryde area and each showing has 40+ people viewing, is that normal?  Is there a way to secure the rental with so many potential candidates?  How much should we increase the rental amount with?

Is there cheaper alternatives for AIRBNB?  

Any advice will be great my fellow Sydneysiders :) 

By the way where are all the ex south Africans hiding we have not met any since we landed ;)

Edited by Scarlette

Scarlette,

Firstly, welcome!

Yip, Sydney is HECTIC RE the rental market, particularly in 'hot spots', here in the City it's even worse! 40+ is pretty normal, especially on the lower end, as it gets up over $1,000+ a week it slacks off a little, but that said our last place was still snapped up by a bunch of youngsters as a flat share split 3-ways.

Recently I've read that rentals have dropped off a bit in Ryde & Meadowbank, particularly in units because there are now newer options in areas like Zetland closer to the City so Sydneysiders have more choice and as the apartments continue to go up there will be more choice.

I've sure you have looked into it already, but I'd get your name down on Childcare options ASAP! It took our name on 6 lists before we could get a slot, even then it was 1-day a week until we manged to get 3 towards the end of the year, it's competitive and expensive, here in the City it's $120+ a day, though there might be more options out your way.

We chose to live closer to the city to be closer to the action as my wife works in the CBD, we sacrificed space, but gained a commute of 10-15mins a day, have great schools and we now have our daughter in a great childcare. Not sure where your work is based, but something you might want to consider.

RE increasing the rental, it may or may not work, the market is competitive and aggressive and you might find the owners might take someone with easily accessible local references etc.

The best you can do is be prepared. It's been covered before, but for us that was an info pack that we provided to the agents which included a welcome/introductory letter about us, an article from REAL ESTATE in South Africa which featured out home, so they could see we took care of out property (failing that maybe a letter from your South African agents who might have sold your property, or if you rented a letter from your former landlord?), a copy of my wife's letter of employment, our local banker also confirmed in writing we had adequate funds to cover a year rent etc.

Just try put yourself in the shoes of the landlord, what would you like to see from prospective tenants?

RE finding the "locals", you'll find a few in Ryde, Monsta I believe is out that way, we find fewer in the City, and to be honest it's a blessing in a way as it's forced us out of "comfort zone" and got us meeting locals, not only Australians, but a broad range of folks that helped us settle in quickly.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Hey,  yep I am out that way. 

That's good advise about daycare.  Moms here register their kids when they are still pregnant.  You might just have to take one day a week at first.  Once your kid goes to the day care she will get preference on any additional days.  Oh and make sure you visit centreline and check on any rebates you are entitled to. Almost all kids at daycare get a sizable rebate. 

As for apartments,  you are looking in the Asian areas. Avoid West Ryde and Eastwood.  There are a lot of Asians there.  As Afresh Started said,  look at it from the letting agent and lanyards point of view. A mate of mine is a landlord,  he rejected an Indian family because it's difficult to get the smell of curry out of an apartment. But my Indian friend who has two rental apartments wouldn't feel the same way about the curry smell. 

In Eastwood and west Ryde there are a lot more Asians (Chinese,  Koreans,  etc..)  so they will be more open to renting to Asians. 

So my advise is,  go for inspections during the week and talk to the agents!  Show them you speak good English. Agents gossip about the people visiting their show houses. So making a good impression always counts.  Even if you see a dump,  it could be your future property manager who is showing it off purely because she is in the area that day. 

Show them you know what you need and that when you find it you will stick around and be happy tenants. If you are not going to rent the place,  be honest and say,  "look,  it's great but we need 2 bedrooms".  Don't apply for every apartment you see. 

Then lastly,  don't aim too high on your weekly rental. If you can easily afford the rent,  then that's huge to a landlord. If you have a good job,  then work it into your conversations with the letting agents. You really want them to think of you as "the Charted Accountant from South Africa who speaks good English" 

Yes,  Th ey love South African's here.. 

Thanks Matt and Monsta for the great advice, appreciate it!

I did not realize finding full time childcare is going to be that difficult :( 

Its a bit difficult to apply for childcare if you don't have a place to stay yet.  Is it an option to apply for childcare and then move to the area where there is availability?

I am currently working in Macquarie Park, and Meadowbank for me is less than 50 min travel, lovely affordable area right next to the Parramatta river and Meadowbank train station. Would they also be more prone to renting to Asians if Meadowbank is right next to West Ryde and Easwood? 

In a radius of about 50min to an hour from Macquarie Park what areas are considered family friendly areas especially when you have a toddler? Preferably below $600 per week?

Hi Scarlett, 

What site are you using to look for places. and how much space do you need. 

I am also looking. it has been difficult and seen some dumps. 

Currently staying with a friend in avoca beach and travelling every day to Epping. 

I have been using domain.com.au

Put my list together of what I want to see and contact the agent directly. 

We must get together sometime. Macquarie Park is just 1 or 2 train stops away from Epping. 

Maybe we could meet for lunch or even over weekend. I am still waiting for my family to come over. Been missing them terribly.

Hi KnoxFamily, we should definitely get together, will send you a PM