How long can I sit on a Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) before having to move

Rudolf

Question

Hello All, 

This forum has been a trove of information - thanks! 

I can't find the answer to a question - maybe searching for the wrong keywords. The Visa Website says that you have 60 days to file for a Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) once your EOI is approved but it does not say how long you have to relocate to Australia once you get the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)?

Do you have 6 months? 1 year? 4 Years? I know it expires after five years.

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Rudolf

7 answers to this question

On your visa grant letter they will state a date before which you have to enter Australia. To activate your visa you can literally just fly in and out of Australia without actually leaving the airport (though who would want to do that). If you do not activate your visa I believe it lapses.

Your visa grant letter will be very clear on both the date before which you need to enter Australia for the first time and for how long the visa is active for (5 years).

• Like 2

Hi Rudolf,

I am also quite a newbie and i find this forum very helpful.

From what information i have gathered i believe that you have to activate your visa in Australia before you PCC (Police clearance certificate) Or medical results expire. I ofcourse stand to be corrected. :)

Regards, 

Kyle

You typically have 1 year to do at least a short visit to Australia (even just passing immigration or turning straight back to board the plane home) . Only exception is if your police clearances or Medicals were completed well before your application was lodged. Your visa will be valid for 1 year from issuance or one year after completion of either your Medicals or police clearance.

after this one year, if you do the short visit, you have four years to make the actual move. 

I'm not an immigration agent so take this with a pinch of salt, but that's my understanding so far. 

Mate,

I would not sit on it if I were you, but that is your choice. It is a very precious piece of paper.

• Like 1

The info above is correct. The medical and / or police clearance triggers the 1 year to activate date more or less, as far as I understand, then you must enter the country before then. You are given a date. The final relocation date will be over 5 years total including the 1 year to enter (validate). We had 9 months to validate when we received our PR. Thatg left more or less 4 years after the validation trip. We moved after 1 and a half years, for the final move. People will give virtually anything to have such a visa, so if you get it use it. Agreed with Surferman.

Its an expensive story and emotionally taxing. But honestly, I don't think SA offers anyone a bright future or much guarantees. That is just my opinion.

• Like 1

I dont know if things have changed but on my original Aus visa it stated the date it was granted, then the date for the initial entry to validate the visa, and then the last date you have to arrive in Australia to take up residence.

The time difference between the initial date it was granted and the last date to arrive was 5 years.

My VISA expired after 5 years. I had to apply for a residents return VISA if I wanted to travel back to Aussie. 

If that's your situation,  be aware there isn't a set list of criteria for obtaining a residents return VISA.  When I got my RR VISA,  I could have uploaded all manner of documents to prove I have made a life here. There was even one for proof I partake in the arts.  If I get a part in a local  theatre production,  then it seems I am very likely to want to continue living here?!? 

But that lack of transparency makes it hard.  We had someone on the forum whose wife wanted to go to Aussie,  but he got a fantastic job in Dubai. He wanted to know if only his wife and kids lived in Aussie full time,  would that be OK or would he eventually be denied entry into Aussie?  Well,  nobody could help him as there is no set list of requirements. 

And lastly,  there is one issue everyone forgets.  Aussie salaries can be as much as double those in South Africa.  Sure your cost of living is insane here.  But most people your age have double the retirement savings you have.  If they bought a property in a Melbourne  or Sydney then their net worth is probably at least double yours. The only way to catch up is to earn dollars and to start saving! 

• Like 1