Finally Arrived !

GandTash

Good going!  True about the police. I have recently come back from a trip to RSA, and the amount of visible police around was astonishing.  My toddlers are now paranoid of the police.  My 4 year old said last week, "I want to be a dog, so the police wont catch me". They also want to know if there is a jail for children! I have to explain multiple times a day that they are NOT going to jail.  

Perhaps take your little one to the local library and see if you can join one of the morning programs.  Or google, free things to do with young kids in your area of Perth. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Australia... I hope the job happens soon as well as a permanent rental... after that, the sky is the limit!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GandTash said:

Everyone wears slops and shorts

Welcome and hope that you settle soon. Once you start earning $ the heart palpitations reduce.

One small correction ... everyone wears "thongs and shorts" (takes a few weeks before you can say that out loud without a smirk on your face) :P

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GandTash said:

Hi all,

After deciding to move to Oz in November 2014 we have finally arrived in Perth this past Monday, a big thanks to this forum for everyone's tips and help, we are currently staying in a small Airbnb apartment in Scarborough until we

can find a permanent rental.

I am sure we are in the honeymoon stage but so far Perth is amazing ! I thought I would break down some Pro's and Cons we have noticed over the few days we have been here, I know I liked seeing what other people described :

Pro's :

• Its clean... very clean... everywhere !
  • Everywhere we have been people have been friendly and helpful
  • Driving is strange - I havent been cut off, side swiped, hooted at - most people just drive the speed limit and get where they are going
  • No minibus taxis
  • No car guards in the parking lots - it seems I am actually able to reverse out of a parking on my own :)
  • The beaches are amazing - the white sand and blue sea
  • Everyone wears slops and shorts
  • The trains and clean and easy to use
  • Most people seem to obey the law even though you barely see police.

Con's :

• Eating out etc is expensive but we were prepared for it, made sure I really enjoyed my $8 beer at Hillary's boat harbor today.
  • At this stage we dont know another soul in Perth but I am sure this will change once we are settled and can socialize a bit (having a 2yr old limits the social scene a bit :unsure:)

Now just waiting on the wed job interview result, once I have employment we can relax a bit, we are feeling very privileged to be able to live in this little piece of paradise - wishing everyone who is on the long VISA application road the best of luck - it is definitely worth it.

G

What a lovely post. So happy for you that you feel it is worth it even at this early stage.

Your comment about enjoying your $8 beer (rather than complaining about the price/ service/ colour of the glasses etc) reiterates my view that you take yourself with you when you migrate and being able to roll with the punches, adjust your plans, and be flexible are traits for a smoother landing and settling. With your positive attitude, you will do well.   Can't wait to hear more. Keep us posted. 

PS I agree with rozellem that you should check out your local library for free toddler activities. They have weekly story time /rhyme time so you'll meet other parents. Also talk to the librarians about being new and what other free activities are on. They have a whole calendar of stuff for all ages (including adults). 

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 4

Hi GandTash!

Welcome to Perth!!
We have recently moved to Perth from Sydney. We were in Sydney for about three and a half years. We are moving into a house over the weekend in Currambine which is a bit north of where you are.

We have two kids a bit older - 8 and 14.
If you like, we could all meet up some time?  We've got some family here who have shown us around a bit so maybe we could share what we know so far ? 
Feel free to get hold of me if you need anything. If you PM me your mobile number (sounds funny I know!) I'll text you mine back. 
Good luck and enjoy your

Thanks all for the warm wishes, agreed - it really comes down to moving with the right attitude !

Malans, thanks for offer I will PM you !

@GandTash

Welcome, about bloody time you rocked up LOL! :P I am up in Yanchep, come up for a swim while I am still looking for another contract, its stunning up here.

Happy to see you guys have arrived in paradise.

• Like 1

On 8 February 2016 at 3:30 PM, SurferMan said:

@GandTash

Welcome, about bloody time you rocked up LOL! :P I am up in Yanchep, come up for a swim while I am still looking for another contract, its stunning up here.

Cool, maybe one weekend we can head up, I google mapped it and seems about an hour and a half by train - would be a nice day out !

had my second interview on wed and got the job so back to the real world from Monday, but very relieved to have an income again, a bit less than planned but it's a foot in the door with room for growth 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, TashyL said:

Congratulations GandTash & thanks for sharing, we leave in 11 days! B)

Good luck, the last few days are crazy but hang in there, its awesome here and so far we feel it was worth the mission :) 

• Like 2

Yeah, hubby and I are getting so little sleep and there is so much to do but definitely worth it :)

Feels unreal!!!

• Like 1

Congratulations on the job.

We leaving in 18 days.. still looking on job front, hopefully better luck once we landed. Cant wait :jester:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2016 at 3:30 PM, SurferMan said:

@GandTash

So we hired a car for the long weekend to explore and found ourselves heading up to Yanchep on Saturday, went to the Lagoon and National Park - amazing place ! Thanks for the tip ! we will definitely be back - maybe meet up sometime there 

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed it! its da vida Loco up here mate. I am going to trade it in for the Sunshine Coast though!

On 2/5/2016 at 11:06 AM, Malans said:

Hi GandTash!

Welcome to Perth!!
We have recently moved to Perth from Sydney. We were in Sydney for about three and a half years. We are moving into a house over the weekend in Currambine which is a bit north of where you are.

We have two kids a bit older - 8 and 14.
If you like, we could all meet up some time?  We've got some family here who have shown us around a bit so maybe we could share what we know so far ? 
Feel free to get hold of me if you need anything. If you PM me your mobile number (sounds funny I know!) I'll text you mine back. 
Good luck and enjoy your

Hi Malans,

Just wondering how you're finding Perth? We will probably be moving over probably towards to the end of the year (from Melbourne). I am excited but a little anxious about it all. 

G, hope you're settling in and the job is going okay. 

• Like 2