Admission as a Solicitor in Western Australia

legallyblond

Hi everyone.

I hope that someone will be able to give me information and/or advice on the admission procedures as a lawyer in Western Australia.  I was admitted as an attorney in South Africa in 1994 and up to the point that we moved to Australia (in April 2015), I practised as an attorney in South Africa.   I already have PR with no restrictions based upon my husband's career as an engineer and as mentioned, have been living in Australia for almost a year.

I have however now decided that it is time for me to get back into the game and I therefore want to apply for admission as a solicitor in Western Australia. My research indicated that in order for my qualification to be assessed, I have to supply information about the precise content of each of the subjects that I wish the admitting authority to assess. Thing is, I obtained an LLB degree from the Rand Afrikaans University (now the University of Johannesburg) in 1991 and the only information that the University of Johannesburg can give me is the list of subjects that I took and that for instance Mercantile Law 1 was Companies Law and Mercantile Law 2, insolvency . This is apart from my academic transcript, which I do have.

My question is this: has anybody recently applied to have their LLB degrees assessed, and if so, how much detail are you supposed to furnish about the subject content? Will the information that I received from UJ together with the transcript satisfy the subject content requirement? If not, where do you obtain this information? 

Hoping that someone can assist.

Thanks

Contact your local law society, they will break it down for you and are very helpful . There are other ways they can determine your curriculum so don't stress. I did this 5 years ago and in Melbourne, but mine was a straightforward case. I, sue they have had similar applications. Get your assessment requirements from the law society and go from there...