On our way to Adelaide

BineMelanie

Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm a Business Analyst and am a mom to 3 children, age 12, 8 and 7. My husband is an IT Manager.

We decided 2 years ago to start the process and eventually lodged the application in September 2015. We got confirmation that our visa was granted on the 20th Jan.

We applied for a state sponsorship so we are going to Adelaide and the plan is to land around April 2016. 

I have trolled thru most of the post and the advice going thru the process have been a great help. We joined a get together in Pretoria last year and that helped a lot to hear from other people and their experiences.

Now we have to start packing up and make all the arrangements. I must honestly say .. I haven't been this scared in a long time.

Must say moving my oldest child seems to be the most problematic as she has lots of friends here and doesn't want to move and leave them. My husband's family is also against the move so that makes everything a lot more difficult.

So now for the next step... a big leap of faith.

Regards,

Melanie

HI Melanie

Good luck with the move and getting your family to Australia. I am in a similar position as you as I have a 15 year old step son who doesn't want to leave his friends, however I am in a slight advantage as I took the family to Australia last year December for a holiday and the kids loved it. 

We visited the gold coast and I took the kids to Movie world, Sea world and Water World and they could not get enough of it. 

While your 12 year old may not see the advantage of moving to Australia now, she will one day be thankful that you did. 

If I were you, I would show them these awesome theme parks in Gold Coast and then promise to take them there one year for a holiday once you are settled:

http://seaworld.com.au/

http://movieworld.com.au/

http://wetnwild.com.au/

Good Luck

Brad

Adelaide is awesome! :D

Have you decided on an area to live - the Adelaide hills sounds like a good fit for your interests.

Hi Melanie, 

Exciting, but challenging, times ahead for you and your family! We will be going to Adelaide at the end of November, so still have a while to go. We are putting our house on the market now, hopefully to circumvent some of the last minute stress!

We also have had issues with family members not agreeing with our decision - in fact they were downright rude to our faces, and then refusing to even talk about it for a long while. However, they are now slowly starting to come around. I don't think they will ever agree with our decision (well not to us anyway!), but all we really want is a peaceful atmosphere. We've really picked up that the people most anti are either the ones stuck here, or those whose life is still just to cushy and they are not willing to make sacrifices to get there. Hopefully things will improve for you too, just remember that it will all be worth it in the end!

Whereabouts in Adelaide are you looking to settle? We have decided on the Hills, and I've just started applying to schools now. My daughter is 13 and will be starting Grade 9 in Aus next year. She initially was not keen on going, but visiting changed her mind. However, she isn't very happy with our choice of Adelaide (we visited all the major cities on our visa activation trip last year, and she fell in love with Melbourne), but as I said to her - what she chooses to do as an adult is her decision, but until then she just needs to accept it! I think teens and pre-teens will never happy. :) 

Good luck, and please keep us informed on how things go!

Ros 

• Like 1

Hi Rosa,

My husbands parents is totally against the move and they feel that we are taking their grandchildren away from them. I can understand their feelings, but I still need to do what I feel is right in my heart for my child.:(

We were originally looking at anything from Crafters to Mount Barker, but my daughter is very interested in the dance classes that they offer at Blackwood High School so now we're looking at Blackwood and surrounding areas.  What schools are you looking at? In which are were you looking at? Sorry for the thousand questions.:D

I was looking at Heathfield and Glenunga as well. The primary schools are easier as there is more of them.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. My husband asked me last night if we are really saddling up this wild horse... He talked to his boss yesterday about resigning and suddenly the reality of what your doing starts to sink in.

Melanie

• Like 2

Hello there! 

@BineMelanie We're also going to Adelaide in April! It's so exciting. 

I went through the guilt of leaving my extended family behind too. It got the stage where my mom would cry every time I called to tell her good news about progress with the Visa application and the booking of the flights. So the guilt persisted until I realised that they (my parents in particular) will be left here, with all the other family members, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents.  They will have a whole web of support with their existing friends. 

I'm the one who should be crying, going to a country where we ave no extensive support system for me. 

They knew this move was coming since May 2014, instead of spending that time crying they should've been saving money to pay us a visit in a few months time (if its really that important to them). 

All the best with your move to Adelaide. I hope that your journey is relatively hassle and stress free.

• Like 5

That is a very good point Charne, and we will try and remember that too! It is easier on my husband's side, but I will be leaving my mom almost alone. My brother and sister have left for UK and Mexico, so I am the last child and only one with grandchildren. She is desperate to come with, but that whole balance of family test doesn't work in her favour. Funny how those who are desperate to come cannot, and those who could get in easily choose not to! However, 'n boer maak 'n plan, and we will do whatever it takes to get her there!

Melanie, we haven't yet finalised where exactly in the Hills we want to stay, but I think we would be happy anywhere! I guess it all depends on the school - we have been looking at Cornerstone College (family recommendation) and Heathfield High for starters. Most will not consider us until much closer to the time, and of course with the zoning being so strict, I think we would need to first choose a school - then the suburb. A friend who left for Perth 2 weeks ago was saying that until she could show a signed lease on a rental in the catchment area, they wouldn't look at her son. She got it today and school starts on Monday!!

We did also look at Mount Barker High, but the feedback that we have from extended family that live in in the region is that it a terrible school.  They have 3 high school aged kids, but have always gone the private route, so I am not sure whether it's a genuine assessment, or snobbery. :) 

Wasn't even aware of Blackwood - but since you mention dancing I know my daughter would make that first choice! WIll check it out. 

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend! :jester:
Ros 

• Like 1