Lodging Expression of Interest

PhatMyles

Hi all

Firstly I want to thank every one on this forum for freely sharing information that have made step 1 a breeze for me. I just received my Positive Skills Assessment from Engineering Australia. It came out as I hoped it would, where they recognize all my years experience, allowing me 15 points, and recognizing my qualification as equivalent to a 4 year Bachelor Degree, allowing me to claim 15 points there as well. So I will be lodging with 65 points. I think I will be on the skillselect system by the February invitation rounds. I now have a few questions.

1) the EA letter says my occupation is Engineering Technologist, with ANZCO Code 233914. It is on the SOL. However my Bachelors Degree and experience is in Mining Engineering, and wanted a 189 as Mining Engineer (Excluding Petroleum) which is also on the SOL. Should I lodge as Engineering Technologist, as the letter says, or as Mining Engineer?

2) Do I need to have ready the documents of dependants, who are the secondary applicants in this case? i.e. passports, birth certificates, etc? My wife doesn't have a birth certificate, but has a passport. can that cover?

3) Can I go ahead and apply for the dreaded Police Clearance Certificate before receiving an invite, or do I need to wait for the invite, or for when a CO is assigned after invite?

4) Can I go ahead and do medicals before invite or do I need to wait for invite or start application?

Thanks. 

Congratulations and jubilations! Well done :ilikeit:

Hi PhatMyles,

I believe it would be a safer bet to submit your EOI as Engineering Technologist, just in case DIPB feels there is a discrepancy / error. There is nothing stopping you from applying for jobs as a mining engineer once you land in Oz.

You can do your medicals and PCC now, however they are valid for 1 year only AFAIK one disadvantage would be that this would bring forward the date by which you must activate your visas. I think. I am not a migration agent, and should not really be giving this sort of advice :unsure:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LeonH said:

Hi PhatMyles,

I believe it would be a safer bet to submit your EOI as Engineering Technologist, just in case DIPB feels there is a discrepancy / error. There is nothing stopping you from applying for jobs as a mining engineer once you land in Oz.

You can do your medicals and PCC now, however they are valid for 1 year only AFAIK one disadvantage would be that this would bring forward the date by which you must activate your visas. I think. I am not a migration agent, and should not really be giving this sort of advice :unsure:

Do they use the PCC date, or the Medicals date for determining the visa activation date? Because I can leave the medicals until the very last minute.Its the PCC that I am worried about.

From what I have gathered it is whichever is the earlier...

Hi there. I would not do the medical or the PCC before a CO has been appointed. I did ours just after we submitted our application which was in April last year. Then had to wait till July to get our visa. However our entry date was back dated. They use the earliest date of either the medicals or PCC to determine your entry date.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SDTCPT said:

Hi there. I would not do the medical or the PCC before a CO has been appointed. I did ours just after we submitted our application which was in April last year. Then had to wait till July to get our visa. However our entry date was back dated. They use the earliest date of either the medicals or PCC to determine your entry date.

I guess I will wait for the case Officer then. I will in the meantime do some research as to how long a PCC takes to be given in Botswana.

I have just submitted my Expression of Interest!!! :ilikeit:. Super excited!!

• Like 1

I missed a step in my previous post...

We did the medicals right after we lodged our visa application in April. The PCC we did later but before our CO was assigned (I wanted everything ready for them, but alas we had to deal with SAPS...) When our Co was assigned we received a letter requesting additional info (the PCC) and giving us 28 days to get it to them, I have been waiting a couple of weeks at that point for the PCC, so I e-mailed the CO and told him the story and his reply was as follows "If you believe that you will not obtain the clearances within the specified time frame you may wish to send the Department evidence that you have applied for the clearances closer to the expiry of this timeframe." I assume that they would take this into consideration and extend the time they have given to supply them with the info. Luckily I did not have to test this as I received and uploaded the PCC a couple of days later...

All the best with your EOI and I hope you receive your invite soon.

• Like 1

Invitation to apply for NSW nomination for a subclass 190 visa

I received an email with this title this morning. I assume this simply means I will be applying to be nominated, rather than applying for the NSW 190 visa itself? And then once they nominate me, I would then still wait for an invite from DIBP to apply for the visa?

Am I still eligible to receive a 189 invitation, while this invitation for NSW nomination is still here? I am believing for an invite in the first round of invitations in February.

Otherwise I think its exciting that someone is willing to welcome me "Down Under"!

Hi there Phat Myles, 

I also received an invite for NSW 190, once I submitted my application (within the 14 days) I waited about a month before I received my final invite for my 190 visa application. Until you received the invite on skill select, you will still be eligible for the 189 visa. You can then choose either one. 

I also applied for my PCC once I received my final invite but only lodged a week or two later. I got my PCC after about 4-5 weeks, and I received a direct grant. 

I found the advise from the June/July applicants to be very useful and I took that advice. It reallly worked well for us. We also submitted the form 80 and 1221 before it was requested by a CO, hence us not getting one at all. 

All the best with your application :)

Tashy

• Like 1

Hello Myles,

I just saw your discussion and one point worried me:  If you have been assessed as an Engineering Technologist by Engineers Australia then this is the occupation you must use for your EOI and subsequent NSW Nomination and visa application.

If you use the occupation of Mining Engineer your application will be refused.

Regards

• Like 1

Question about PCC. it says to add all the places you have lived for 12 months or more, in the past 10 years. Now from 2003 to July 2006 I was a student in the UK. though in total I was there for 3 years, it only makes about 6 months in the past 10 years, from February 2006 to July 2006. Do I need to make the UK PCC?

On another very positive note, I received my invitation to apply for the 189 Visa. Received it yesterday. I now have 60 days. I will probable apply on day 55 or so, wait for CO before doing medicals and PCC, because I want to push out the activation date to late April 2017, to coincide with the Botswana school holidays.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I want to do my application. I am stuck with two things.

1. My wife's unabridged birth certificate

2. my son's passport expires in October this year, and I wanted to do the application when he has a new passport. I don't want to be trying to update passport details once the visa has been granted...

Otherwise all is in order. i have been reliably informed that a Botswana PCC takes about 3 days, so will apply for it the same day I go do my medicals. I am hoping to have everything done by 1st week of March!

With regard to the unabridged birth certificate, @SD_MOA has stated a number of times that the parents do not need them only your children. You can apparently use just the ordinary ones. Send him a PM and check with him.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2016 at 1:00 PM, Mara said:

With regard to the unabridged birth certificate, @SD_MOA has stated a number of times that the parents do not need them only your children. You can apparently use just the ordinary ones. Send him a PM and check with him.

I have seen a number of posts saying that, and I think on the DIBP website as well... I am still uneasy. I prefer having it so that they don't have any other excuse. 

Does anyone know how difficult/painful it is to change details of a passport when one gets a new one after a Visa has been approved?

Will the passport expiring in October this year cause any problems in the visa application, perhaps them requiring it to be valid for a longer period?

As far as I know it's not a problem to change to new passport details once the visa is granted. Some people have mentioned situations at an airport where they had issues, but a phone call to Canberra sorted it out and they were able to fly. (Just don't arrive late already) Apparently it's just some forms to fill in, and they change the info for you, centrally, where your visa info is kept on record.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tremendous news!