My experience with obtaining a rental

KirstyS

Thought I would just share my experience with rentals so far. I landed late on Monday (18/1) and had already registered for a few viewings on Tuesday and Wednesday. I had a 'this is us' pack printed and included character references, bank statements and id's. I got  3 of the 4 rentals I applied for  ( all on Thursday!) and I didn't have to offer months up front, and I don't have a job. I did, however, have to show them that I had the funds to pay from my savings account. I did ask each agent about the option of putting money up front, but they all said they don't like it as it's more of a management issue for them. While there were others applying as well, only one was quite a large viewing, the others were 2 or 3 others.

So to those coming over and worrying... It CAN be done.

Edited by KirstyS
grammar error
  • Like 7

Well done..

1 hour ago, KirstyS said:

the others were 2 or 3 others

Currently not a high demand but in fact an oversupply of rentals in Perth.

Guess many landlords are just happy to get someone into their property.

It's amazing how Perth's rental market has changed since when I first arrived. 

Back in late 2012/early 2013, it was a frenzy. For my little teeny tiny one bedroom apartment in East Perth, I had to compete against around 18 others. I eventually got it by paying more than the asking price and showing I had savings to cover it, AND I had permanent, full time employment. 

Fast forward to today and people don't have to compete... and the place I was renting is now available to rent for 35% less than what I originally was paying. 

Melbourne was largely that way already. Even when I arrived the agents were only to happy to try get me to rent their spots and finding a rental was not an issue. I think Sydney is probably the only place that is still super competitive, but even that will change with lower migration rates and more construction being completed. 

Interesting times.. 

Edited to ask - which area did you end up choosing, KirstyS?

Edited by Donovan83

Congratulations on finding a rental so soon. That is a major step you can check off your to do list. It will also help you tremendously when applying for your medicare and Centrelink. One thing I have to mention though is that renting in Sydney seems a lot tougher. We viewed a property on the 9th of Jan, submitted our paperwork immediately and only got approved last week. The markets flooded over here.

9 hours ago, Donnyvcpt said:

Congratulations on finding a rental so soon. That is a major step you can check off your to do list. It will also help you tremendously when applying for your medicare and Centrelink. One thing I have to mention though is that renting in Sydney seems a lot tougher. We viewed a property on the 9th of Jan, submitted our paperwork immediately and only got approved last week. The markets flooded over here.

Where did you get the rental Donny?

Hi Rozellem,

We managed to rent a 3 bedroom house out in Oxley Park. Its 20 mins from where I'm working and theres a school 200 meters from the house in the same road. We've had the property for a week now, but haven't done any furniture shopping yet so we're staying in Glebe till Monday. We paid for 2 weeks here so we might as well make use of it.

• Like 2

I agree. We got here in Nov 2010, and paid $400/week for a little 4x2. Moved to Yanchep to a 4x2 and watched the landlord screwed us relentlessly. left there at $450/week. Now in a 4x2 with a pool and tons of other stuff @ $470/week. The old rental is now down to $400, PMSL. 

I am in the process of sueing the owners and the agents for not fixing things for years, yes, years. 

Donny, we really like Glebe. We tried getting a rental there when we arrived but there was nothing when we looked. There was however a few rentals up for grabs a bit over in Balmain. We happily lived there for a while till the landlord sold up, then moved to Drummoyne. We loved that whole area. We're actually going to one of my fave restaurants, Blue Ginger in Balmain, on Fri night. In Glebe, we loved "Nawaz taste of India" and went there often. 

I have zero experience of the area where you have rented. I know about Mount Druid because of its reputation in the media. Remember, if it doesn't suit your family, you can always move on later. 

We have JUST gone through the rental experience.  We sold our house to cash in on the property "bubble" before it burst and have just over the last two weeks moved into our temporary home in Rozelle. We love the area! 

Finding a rental was quite an experience!...  

My advice is to pre-load your application for a property you like - even if you haven't viewed it yet as you could always withdraw your application.

Even though the application may not require it, upload any documents which may put you ahead of the pack (eg. a pdf of your current bank balances which reflects your financial ability to pay your rent). 

Some properties are so popular, that more than 30 people show up for an open home. If you love it, go talk to the agent and ask him what you need to secure the lease - for instance offer to start the lease at an earlier date or to pay $50 a week more.  We got the place we are now in (right at the water with lovely views!) by offering to start the lease 2 weeks earlier, which meant that we were paying both rent and a mortgage payment for these two weeks, and the rental was basically unoccupied for this period while we were packing up our home, but that's what it took in our case. If it's worth it, make the sacrifice.

Most rentals will have scheduled inspection times.  I've asked an agent how it is possible that properties could be "under offer"  or leased before the inspection date (in which case the "open home" is cancelled) and she responded that people would call and arrange an earlier inspection with the undertaking to lease it.  If the owner is happy to allow a private inspection, then the deal is done.  We've registered for many inspections which were cancelled due to being leased, so you need to get in there before everyone else.  Have your ducks in a row and your paperwork ready.  Email or call the agent direct - don't contact them through the "contact us" option.

We viewed about 18 - 20 properties before we found "the one" - a tedious, time consuming and stressful process but don't just settle for anything because you are desperate.  Start looking long before your required date so you can get a feel for what is out there, what the lease rates are and what you get for your money - it helps to spot a bargain or identify a ridiculous lease.  It also helps you to narrow down the area where you want to live. We started off in Bondi but we found most places in our price range small, mouldy, dark, dated and poorly maintained.  So we shifted our focus to the Eastern suburbs (same problem without the mould), then CBD (oh my word!) and then eventually zoned in on Inner West where we found the perfect spot.

The closer you get to the city or near the water, the higher the rent and the more popular it is. Decide on a budget and use that as an initial search filter, then take it from there...

• Like 2

Very, very clever Riekie.  I am green with jealousy.  Do check out Blue Ginger in Balmain, go to the Orange Grove markets on a Saturday morning, hamburgers at Bowen Island on Victoria rd Drummoyne, great shopping at Birkenhead point and do yourself a favour and go to My Muffin Top on Victoria Rd Drummoyne.  As you can see I am actually a dark shade of green.....

• Like 1

Printed this off - will try all of them (been to Birkenhead Point already!  :-)

We love Rozelle - used to come to all the markets (Glebe, Rozelle, Paddington & Balmain and never thought we'd one day live right in the heart of it!)  We've tried a few of the local pubs and cafe's too - LOVE it!

Apparently, this is where you get the best cheesecake on the planet:   

http://ppapa.com.au/

And the best coffee... 

http://thelocalpress.com.au/

Haven't tried either yet bu thought I'd share the "inside info"

Some good advice here, I must say I had to settle for a slightly older place than we wanted because I wasn't prepared for how competitive it can be (but its in a good area and ticks all the boxes). I am in Brisbane on the Northside, so prices are quite decent, but I applied for 5, got rejected by 3, and got one (the other never came back to me). I arrived with a full time job, but the lack of local rental references seemed to be against me, and I was looking for a 6 month lease to start off, which probably put landlords off. But I guess if the landlord has a pick of a few applicants, they'll tend to take the local person unless yours is made stronger by offering x months up front etc. Some advice from my side:

• Every occupant must fill in an application regardless if the lease will be in there name (this one confused me)
  • You have to provide 3 forms of photo id to verify your identification, I used passport, SA drivers and SA green ID book. It worked, but if you can get your state drivers license or something else local in time, then that helps.
  • Local is better in terms of bank statements, payslips, references - the Aussies don't seem to like foreign docs, not discrimantory, it just confuses them a little with different currencies, time zones etc.
  • Viewing times are limted to 15 minute windows only, usually in the middle of a workday!

Having said all that, it only took me 12 days from landing to secure a rental, and thats with only doing viewings after work and weekends, which is tricky. Had I been a bit more patient I probably could've found a more ideal place, I was startign to worry though!

Glad you got something even if it wasn't your 1st choice, welldone 12 days ain't bad at all. Enjoy your new place and thank you for the heads up.

On Tuesday, February 02, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Sweepea said:

@DonnyvcptHow much are you paying and what does it include? How did you find it? How did you find your current 2 week rental and what are you paying? Thanks

Hi Sweetpea, 

Sorry about the very late reply, life's been a little hectic. I'm paying $430 per week for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, double garage townhouse. The area seems ok so far we've had no issues.

On Tuesday, February 02, 2016 at 7:10 AM, rozellem said:

Donny, we really like Glebe. We tried getting a rental there when we arrived but there was nothing when we looked. There was however a few rentals up for grabs a bit over in Balmain. We happily lived there for a while till the landlord sold up, then moved to Drummoyne. We loved that whole area. We're actually going to one of my fave restaurants, Blue Ginger in Balmain, on Fri night. In Glebe, we loved "Nawaz taste of India" and went there often. 

I have zero experience of the area where you have rented. I know about Mount Druid because of its reputation in the media. Remember, if it doesn't suit your family, you can always move on later. 

Rozelle

We absolutely loved Glebe, but the small living space ruined it for us. If I had my way though, I would live in Mosman. Even if we had to live in a little 2 bedroom flat. I just love Mosman to bits. In fact it's become our thing now to drive there every Sunday and visit Balmoral beach. My beach day will be spoilt tomorrow because my new colleagues are dragging me off to watch Western Sydney play tomorrow, but it's ok I'll just do it early morning.

• Like 1

I cant remember how old your child is, but here is something that we did for two years in a row and might be useful to those coming over with kids. At the Taronga Zoo in Mosman, you get really well priced annual passes. The adult one is $115 and a transferable guest pass is $139. Plus kids under 4 is free. I got myself the two passes mentioned above and went there every Tuesday, making sure I was there when the gates opened at 9:30. I took a different friend or acquaintance with every time (buy me a coffee) and lent the guest pass out to people often.  I now reap the rewards and borrow theirs. Then you can just focus on a specific atea of the zoo each time, take your own picnic and even park for free in the streets around the zoo ( or enjoy reduced parking rates with the pass) I have seen newbies on here stress about entertaining their kids in Aus on a budget and without help, well here is an option and a bargain. 

• Like 2

Just to add to RozelleM's suggestion of passes.

We've taken out a Merlin Pass 2-years running now. It gives you unlimited access to The Sydney Sea Life Aquarium ,The Wild Zoo and Madame Tussaud's, all in Darling Harbour and adjacent to one another.  It also gives you access to The Sea Life Sanctuary in Manly and The Sydney Tower Eye in the CBD.

There are also attractions in other parts of the country like The Melbourne Sea Life Aquarium.

More info here.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1