First year done and dusted :)

Crossedover

Thankyou for this post crossed over. I laughed a few times as I could relate to many things...I too will have Omo for a very long time ? I am very happy to read posts like this especially as we are just starting out here. Thanks for taking the time to update us. All the best to you and your family for 2016.

I do have to remind myself we left the 3rd world  (ok dualistic economy for us teachers) and have come to the first world so they will have everything!!!! And when Coles and Woolies here have their weekly 1/2 price deals we really don't have too much to complain about ?

So fellow omo 'smuggler' wish you all the best and hope you feel at home here more every day. May 2016 be a good year for you with many happy new memories.

• Like 1

Excuse me if I have asked this before, but where do you guys live in Sydney. Which school did you go for in the end? You can PM me with the answers if you want.  

We now live in Forestville and our girls go to Covenant Christian School in Belrose.

For others ...It takes them 15 minutes on the (free?) school bus. Happy to answer any questions and help where I can. We have had a year of lots of learning ?... AND no doubt we have lots more to discover xx

But looking when you landed ? It's you who can help all of us xxx 

Edited by Crossedover

Lovely informative post Crossedover!

• Like 2

Hi Crossedover,

What a lovely post! It gives my family and I lots of confidence going forward when we see story's so similar to ours. We arrived in Sydney on the 29th of December and have also been wowed by the beauty and safety. The first night here I decided to take a walk to the 7/11 about a km away from where  we're staying at 10.30pm and the only thing I was worried about was spiders lol (I hate spiders). I was so surprised to see ladies walking around on their own at that time of the night. I'm a little stressed out about finding work in Sydney and have just realised that I haven't given myself enough time in our temporary accommodation, but worst case scenario I will have to book another short term rental on airbnb.

All the very best to you and your family in the future I hope you secure permanent employment and that your social circles grow and blossom.

7 hours ago, Crossedover said:

I do have to remind myself we left the 3rd world  (ok dualistic economy for us teachers) and have come to the first world so they will have everything!!!! And when Coles and Woolies here have their weekly 1/2 price deals we really don't have too much to complain about ?

So fellow omo 'smuggler' wish you all the best and hope you feel at home here more every day. May 2016 be a good year for you with many happy new memories.

The Omo smuggler, I like it, maybe I need to change my username ?

Another thing we have in common which I forgot to post about yesterday was regarding commuting. This also has been our biggest adjustment. We are also from Durban so maybe we wouldn't have had this issue if say we lived in Joburg. I have friends and family in Joburg that have to commute an hour each way, but coming from Durban it is not something that we are used to. My husband used to work 10 mins from home worked from 7:30 - 4:30. Was always home on time and had lots of time to spend with our son before his bedtime. Now with the commute he gets home just after 7. So a big adjustment for all of us and yes like you said you have to get used to doing everything yourself and I found initially that it is a really long day. The nice thing though is that we live in a lovely quiet suburb with everything to hand. I really do love it here. ?

@emma.yenkanna

My commute now is between 1h10m and 1h45m, but it is still a fraction of what i used to have in SA. Most time in the week I barely saw the kids. Now I have loads of time even on high pressure projects. Glad you are getting your groove on. 

Informative and beautiful post, glad you wrote about school shoes and takkies will get a children extra pairs thank you for that.:yourock: Hope 2016 will be so much better for you and your family, and you also get a full time permanent job

Edited by Chips

Thanks ladies and Gentlemen.

Chips, most school shoes here seem to be black lace-ups for both boys and girls. Cheap school shoes from BigW are about $29 and they go up to $100-$120. The $29 did not last my 13 year old daughter 6 months before the entire sole on the one shoe came off. AND good luck for your visa grant, anxious times I know!!!

• Like 2

Very pricey $100 ? had bought open ones for my daughter will take them back and get the closed laced ones. Thank again for letting me know, the visa is another story all we can do is wait :(

• Like 1

Crossedover, I live in Belrose (just off Glen street), I work from home as a hairdresser and go to the lovely Northgate Ministries on Forestway. Shout if you still struggling to find some things locally. I buy school shoes at Shoes and Sox at thd Warringah Mall. My son likes the all black " tekkies" by Newbalance. They are velcro and about $70, so soft and looks smart too. They have a reward card system at the shop too. Lots of the girls wear the open (Mary Janes?) around us. He goes to Wakhurst Public and we are very impressed.  There is even ex Covenant kids at the school. I am visiting RSA at the moment, but happy to meet you for a coffee when the school goes back. I really love Forestville, good choice. 

Pizza: We LOVE the thin, woodfired pizzas from Burrosos in North Bridge (South African owened). Order the Porcapeppa one with peppadews on, to die for. Otherwise I make wholemeal dough in the Thermomix (2mins) and make our own on very hot pizza stone in the oven. 

Yes we love our home made Thermomix pizzas ??

i LOVE your post! We are leaving in 2 weeks time and i started feeling anxious and even overwhelmed by the amount of planning still required. I am now going to take a breather and enjoy the last few weeks with family etc knowing that everything will fall into place and even if it doesnt, thats ok too!

Have a blessed 2016 and please keep us updated.

Althea

• Like 1

We landed on the same day, 27 Dec 2014. Things started out pretty ok, with some hiccups, but which put my husband off almost immediately.... I started work two weeks after landing, and by that time we had secured a rental, bought a car and done most of the admin required. My daughter cried every day for a month until she started school, when she started making friends immediately, so that has helped somewhat. What has not helped is that, for the first 8 months, I was the sole income earner as my husband, an engineer, could not find work. To this day, he works in customer services and has not secured a job in his field - at least it's a job, but he does not enjoy it, as it's well below his level, and is quite bitter because of that. Staying home for a long time, doing domestic tasks (except for cooking, which he refuses to do), has not been good for him, or our marriage. It has not helped that I am doing well in my job, and have recently been promoted, plus I'm absolutely rubbish at boosting his ego or generally being supportive apparently.... I've insisted he join soccer clubs and social soccer, and that has probably been our saving grace.

My daughter still has not adapted 100%, she says that in spite of making good friends and getting on well at school, she does not feel like Australia is home. She is 17 and we moved at a very difficult time in her life. Still, having freedom of movement, getting a part time job and earning money has been good for her. She is doing her HSC this year, so another challenge, which I hope will keep her mind off her longing for SA....  

I literally don't have the time to ask myself what or how I feel, because in between working long hours, travelling and housework, I hardly have any time to decompress. 

I keep telling myself that as soon as my husband gets another job, I am hiring help...

What I find funny is that when I travel and fly back 'home', it's Sydney I come home to, not SA. Is this home yet for me? Have not stopped to think about it - but then again, wherever I have a roof over my head and my family is, that's my home.   

Edited by Pell

Advertise your stuff on gumtree for free to collect and believe me, people will come and collect it.

Target do leather school shoes - velcro and laceup for about $30. They are  fine and lasted my son last year

Thanks for the post @Crossedover, I really enjoyed reading it. And will take the 'leave your baggage at home' warning to heart.

aah. what a great post. Thank you so much for sharing and about not taking such a lot over. Im also thinking about what to leave and its amazing how we get so attached to stuff. Why the loads of Omo tho? we don't even have a visa grant yet but just scouting for ideas. Still putting off looking at what property prices go for in NSW as we love our home and that's 1 of the things im not looking forward to - is being cramped in a tiny house. But we will make it all work once we are there

Fabulous post. Kids who have grown up with home help simply aren't "domesticated", but the improvement levels can be amazing. We started with a few small tasks, adding something new every few weeks. I still need to ask (aka nag), but the improvement is amazing - it is down to you to drive it. Pretty hard when you ae knackered and it is quicker to do it yourself, but worth it.

Just back (and duly jet lagged) from SA and very happy that we absolutely made the right decision - wouldn't change a thing. Except not winning the lottery - would change that if I could ?

@Pell,

Sorry to hear hubby is having a hard time of it. maybe he needs a kick in the @ss to cook. :D:P Glad you are making a good go of it and that you are sticking to the plan. Well done!

• Like 2

@Pell

You can only do what you can and, yes, you should be supportive of your husband. However, at some point he has to take responsibility for his own feelings/actions/emotions. Emotions are energy in motion - only you can choose where you will be directing that energy - either positive or negative.

I have a constant battle trying to convince loved ones that their attitude determines their level of success (although I know it is up to them to realise that, I still try :wacko:). If you believe you can't, then you've chosen not to - it's as simple as that. No one has ever gotten anywhere with a 'the world is against me'/'it's not fair'/'add any other negative perception here' attitude. Opportunities present themselves when you change the glasses with which you view your world.

[End of sermon directed at your husband who will probably never read this] :P

• Like 4

:offtopic: Sorry this is pet peeve of mine. You are welcome to skip it, if you've heard the subject flogged to death. ;) 

I have some difficulty understanding why some people choose to assign non-gender specific tasks to a gender??? (I know how it happens: social conditioning, from day 1.) But it boggles my mind why people don't start thinking about life critically the moment they are able to. It helps that my whole family (on all sides, including in-laws) has the same kind of approach: my aunt welds and does her share of home improvements, her husband did his share of taking care of their kids, my dad sews, my husband cooks and if things break around the house I fix them. None of these tasks need a man/woman specifically to do them, so why attach a gender? If you like doing something then do it, if you don't then negotiate around not doing it, but don't use "that's a task for a man/woman" as an excuse.

The best way I saw this summed up was in a joke poster about childrens toys:

How to know if a toy is suitable for a little boy, or a little girl?

Do you operate the toy with your genitals?

Yes- This is NOT a toy for children!!!

No- This toy is suitable for a boy or a girl.

• Like 6