Public primary schools in Canberra

BrendanH

We're arriving in Canberra in 22 days time and have done some research into public schooling.

It looks like most of the schools are pretty close to each other in terms of academic performance. I was just wondering about some of the other aspects of schooling. My son is 7 so will probably be going into year 1 or year 2. Some of the things we are worried about are :

He is an extremely active kid and can't get enough sports so we are looking for a school that will offer him a decent range of sports to channel all of that energy constructively. He is already eclipsing most of his peers on the cricket field and really enjoys soccer, hockey and judo.

He is not the most artistic child in the world despite our efforts to develop that. Other than nagging for a guitar which I feel he is a bit young for he just has no interest in it.

Co-ed is also preferred because I do think that learning to interact healthily with members of the opposite sex is an important part of schooling.

Schools with the ability to deal with mild ADHD without pressuring us to put him on meds all the time would also be great. (Unlike the swanky private school he went to this year. Grrrr.)

Based on this are there any schools that we should be short listing or possibly look at first once we arrive? 

Just some info on Australia in general. Most government schools here are not into a lot of sports. Mostly sports are played at club level, even for the youngsters, so prepare yourselves for that.

That is actually good to know. I was wondering why I wasn't seeing much about school sport out there.

It's going to take a major adjustment to get used to that.