Sydney vs Melbourne climate - experiences?

Donovan83

6 hours ago, Shellfish said:

Perth which, btw, has an average salary of 10k more than Sydney but I'm sure that doesn't matter given that apparently income and cost of living has no bearing on lifestyle

This is unfortunately not true in all industries any more. Part of the reason I am delaying going back to WA is that the economy is struggling a bit. It's not all fall down end of the world, there are jobs, it's just that salaries have dropped a bit and things seem to have moved a lot more towards contract work. Even so... Perth was more expensive than Sydney when I lived there and I was still in that phase of getting Aussie experience, so my salary wasn't exactly great. Melbourne has the lowest cost of living I've experienced so far.

20 hours ago, OubaasDik said:

I dislike Melbourne for other reasons, which I won't elaborate on.

I have other reasons for disliking Melbourne, weather is just the one that is most pervasive. 

It's pretty funny that the weather this week (and for the next week or so) is much nicer on paper in Melbourne than in Sydney. This is definitely the exception to the rule though, I remember watching Sunrise back in September and most of Australia was out at the beaches in all cities except Melbourne, where it was 14 degrees. 

Just for a laugh I had a look at the webcams for both cities - Melbourne is 40 degrees, and has that slightly overcast, gloomy, cloudy look that it always has. Sydney is 26 and has bright sunshine, extremely blue skies with the odd cloud floating around.

Who knows whether it'll actually be nicer for me there but I may as well give it a try :) 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Donovan83 said:

Who knows whether it'll actually be nicer for me there but I may as well give it a try :) 

Yes give it a try.  It can't be worse... 

I've been to quite a few conferences in Sydney during Winter and every time has been bright sunny days (just a cold wind to let me know it was winter).  It reminded me of JHB winters.  I think you'll prefer it and look forward to your posts.

23 minutes ago, RYLC said:

I think you'll prefer it and look forward to your posts.

Yeah it'll hopefully nice to get back to being happy and positive instead of whingeing all the time lol. 

The scary thing is I was originally considering moving to the UK. Back then I remember saying that I am immune to bad weather - a bigger misstatement I could not have made! 

:) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Donovan83 said:

Yeah it'll hopefully nice to get back to being happy and positive instead of whingeing all the time lol. 

The scary thing is I was originally considering moving to the UK. Back then I remember saying that I am immune to bad weather - a bigger misstatement I could not have made! 

:) 

See, now I reckon had you gone to the UK - you may appreciate Melbourne more:D.

All the best in Sydney - I will look forward to reading your updates. 

Donovan83,

I thought I'd take a break from the "rat race" and share a few pics from today's family stroll into the CBD. 10kms round trip over 3-hours as we stopped in at local parks, hit David Jones and Myer, all while enjoying the near cloudless sky.

I'm back in my tee, shorts and thongs as were most Sydneysiders, under blue skies and 25 degree weather.

sydney-stroll.jpg

I then came home and spent 2-hours roasting a honey glazed pork roast with root vegetables, roasted potatoes and braised sprout, onions and fennel.

Tomorrow we are meeting a bunch of friends in the Sydney Park while our kids hit the bike track (again!), ending off with a picnic.

Sunday we'll hit the beach and on Monday we're off to see "The Greats Exhibit" at the Arts Gallery of NSW.

This "rat race" really takes it out of you :lol:

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart
  • Like 3

Just to clarify, my feedback on Melbourne v Sydney is coming from a good place, I do not dislike Melbourne at all, it's just my observation that the weather is easier to like in Sydney. I've been to Perth to visit friends and I can see the draw of the beautiful beaches and the hot weather ( personally too hot for me). The downside of Perth is jobs, if you in IT, financial sector, law etc your options are very limited, I know of people who went to Perth and we're back in Sydney hat in hand because of lack of jobs in Perth, hey loved Perth, they just couldn't find new jobs, a job or better jobs.

I agree with Rozelle on the rat race, it's a choice. My hubby works very long days ( leaves at 7:30 gets home at 8) and with a short commute it is a long working day not travelling time. This I suppose is because of his position ( first to arrive,last to leave) in the company. It's not without its rewards. I'm grateful I don't need to work ( although I do enjoy it when I do work) 

Payoff is you get to enjoy Australia , overseas, beautiful places and experiences. U will get the same if you join the rat race in Melbourne or any other major city ...the weather just might not be as nice :)

Edited by elleneo
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, AFreshStart said:

Donovan83,

I thought I'd take a break from the "rat race" and share a few pics from today's family stroll into the CBD. 10kms round trip over 3-hours as we stopped in at local parks, hit David Jones and Myer, all while enjoying the near cloudless sky.

I'm back in my tee, shorts and thongs as were most Sydneysiders, under blue skies and 25 degree weather.

sydney-stroll.jpg

I then came home and spent 2-hours roasting a honey glazed pork roast with root vegetables, roasted potatoes and braised sprout, onions and fennel.

Tomorrow we are meeting a bunch of friends in the Sydney Park while our kids hit the bike track (again!), ending off with a picnic.

Sunday we'll hit the beach and on Monday we're off to see "The Greats Exhibit" at the Arts Gallery of NSW.

This "rat race" really takes it out of you :lol:

Cheers

Matt

Lovely pics but Melbourne is a ghost town on New Years Day, too - always has been, since I've lived here. 

(I am really not trying to be contrary, I promise just stating a fact).