Areas in Sydney to find ground floor apartments/houses???

kc2stars

Hi All!

My boyfriend and I are moving to Sydney near the end of March. We will be shipping our dog over in May.

I was just wondering if anyone could help with areas to look for in Sydney where there are more rentals likely to have a garden/courtyard? Our dog is small but we would prefer not to be on a higher level apartment where he has nowhere to go outside during the day.

We were looking at the Eastern suburbs, but I have mostly seen high rise apartments in those areas, so is there anywhere specific we should be looking (Northern beaches? North Sydney? anywhere else?)

Any advice would be appreciated!!

It would be more helpful if you pointed out WHICH suburbs you are looking at in the Eastern Suburbs if you are wanting input.

Many of them have old 70's apartment blocks that are only 3-4 stories high and many have garden apartments, Rose & Double Bay for example. The hard part is even if you find a garden apartment or terrace is whether the block itself is pet friendly, some are, most aren't.

You also don't mention where you will be working or likely to be working? If it's North Sydney, well I'd suggest living in North Sydney, if it's the CBD I'd suggest looking in the Inner West - Glebe, Annandale, Leichhardt etc, older homes with gardens and transport links via buses/trains to the City in 20-30 minutes.

I'm sure you've looked into it but Northern Beaches and Eastern Suburbs are pretty pricy places to live, renting a garden apartment or terrace is easily $850 - $1000 a week in those areas.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt, thanks for that.

I will be working in Surry Hills. We haven't got any specific requirements in terms of suburbs just yet - We are just hoping for somewhere closer to the beach if possible, I'm happy to travel 30-45 minutes to work if need be, but I am not sure if anywhere near the beach will be within our budget!

Is Glebe not going to be very expensive because it is so close to the CBD? I'm guessing our budget will be around $650 to start - I'm not 100% sure what my salary will look like     after tax and other living expenses yet...

kc2stars,

No way you are going to get anything for $650 near the beach I'm afraid, even a studio is more than that in those areas and no space/place for a dog.

We lived in Surry Hills and our son is in school there, great suburb and if we could we'd have bought there we would have, but the average 2-3 bedroom terrace costs over R10-million these days! Our rent on a 3-bedroom terrace was $1,000 a week, which was one of the CHEAPER ones in the area.

Surry Hills is even closer to the CBD than Glebe, it's only a 20-minute walk to World Square or 6-7 minute bus ride and there are 4+ buses that route through there. We now live in Waterloo, 2 suburbs over. It's close to the city, is a 15-minute walk to Surry Hills and only 15-min ride to Bondi Beach or 25mins to all the Eastern Suburb beaches.

You can rent an older terrace here for $650 - $800 a week, buses run from Elizabeth St straight into the City and you can be downtown in 8-10mins, we are also a 950m walk to Green Sqaure Station which is 2 stops to Circular Quay and walking distance to Redfern and Surry Hills for cafe/coffee culture and Redfern & Central Stations.

Waterloo forms part of Green Square, which by 2020 will be most densely populated areas in Sydney, but brings with it great new features - parks, library, community center, community swimming pool etc. Even in the 8-months of living here we have experienced some of those changes as it starts to form it's identity and community.

Cheers

Matt

P.S If you filter the results on Real Estate you can select "Pets Allowed" and you'd see just how many options "Go Away", you can always ask, but most list if the place is or isn't pet friendly.

Edited by AFreshStart

Thanks, will add Waterloo to the list. 

What about places like Waverly, Redfern, Darlinghurst, Randwick, or Queens Park?

All nice. Redfern, Darlinghurst & Randwick have the easiest transport links. Redfern has more parks and open spaces to walk your dog, as does Randwick (though further from the city) and Darlinghurst is pretty much on the city's door steep and more built-up/city like.

Cheers

Matt