Perth Schools in 'new' development areas

Kanniewagnie

Hi, We're looking to buy a house & land package in either the new developments of

Catalina (close to Clarkson & Mindarie) /

Pearsall (close to Edgewater Train station) /

Trinity ( close to Butler Train station).

I started to investigate both Primary and Senior Public schools in these areas on the Myschool website and it looks like they are very far below average (no info available on Mindarie??)

Does this mean that I'll have to choose between renting in the 'better' school area - or coughing up for Private schooling in the 'new areas'...

Is there any forumite's with recent first hand knowledge of either Public or Private schools in the above mentioned areas?

I always hear that there are so many South Africans in Clarkson & Mindarie and I guess in the other newer, cheaper Northern suburbs as well. Where do they send their kids - I'm sure that they too, would take quality education serious and I hope to hear from some with kids in those specific areas.

The new developments are apparently going to get new schools by the end of 2016, but in the mean time, the neighbouring schools aren't doing so well (statistically), and my daughter will have to go to High School starting 2017.

Thank you.

I have commented on another thread on something similar here: http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/45525-my-research-has-me-going-in-circles-s/?p=413587

But to add what this guy said to spot the better performing schools. The key messages in the book about what does and doesn’t matter when choosing a school are summarised as:

What Doesn’t Matter:
1. It doesn’t matter how much you pay in fees (there’s little correlation between how much you pay and the schools that will best suit your child)
2. Or how many ATAR 99.95 the school got (this is about the school’s enrollment policy)
3. Or if the school is mixed or single sexed
4. Or the size of the school (it`s comes down to your knowledge of your child but it doesn’t make a difference)
5. Neither do multi-age classes -i.e. composite (has no impact on achievement either way)

What Does Matter:
1. Teachers matter – a lot!
2. The principal will make or break a school
3. Learning to learn is important
4. Extracurricular activities (especially music) should be on offer
5. Languages Other than English should be a part of the curriculum
6. Effective use of technology will make a difference
7. Effective behaviour management is important
8. Homework policy doesn’t make a lot of difference
9. But effective communication with parents matters a great deal
10. You should avoid primary schools that don’t use phonics to teach reading
11. Children should not be streamed according to academic ability
12. But you should look for a school that ‘accelerates’ if your child is a genius
13. If your child has special needs, you should know exactly what resources are available

Edited by ottg

The new Catalina beachside lots will be available from next year - that side will fall in the Mindarie catchment, and the lots will be more expensive. We are considering to buy in the Catalina central part, which falls in the Clarkson catchment. The Primary school is not my major consern, but the (lack of) choice of highschools gives me headaches!

Kanniewagnie, we have for some time been looking at properties and schools in Perth NOR as we will arrive in Dec and our children will start the new school year (both high school) in Jan 2016. Here are some of our findings.

Mindarie : we are not dependant on being close to the city for work so we also looked at Mindarie as an option. We visited and inspected a number of already built houses mainly around the Marina area and to be honest there are very nice places. At the end we decided against Mindarie due to some other areas being more in line with our overall requirements ( after looking at the high schools we were not overly excited, we realized that its further than what we antisipated from the City/UWA and it wont be easy for the kids to commute when they go to Uni one day, etc)

Public schools we considered Carine & Duncraig (there were a few others we also liked but these two were our first choices. After visiting Perth and talking to everyone we however decided that public or private for primary and private for secondary was according to us the way to go, obviously if ones financial situation allow for it otherwise there are very good public school options and it is as easy as settling in the catchment area to get your children in.

Private schools we first applied at was St Marks ( liked the school and areas around it very much) but realized that there was just about no chance to get our children accepted as they have long waiting lists. We were also very impressed with St Marys and Hale ( Brother and sister schools) but at first we though that if St Marks cant help us the chances to get our children into these two would be even less but we contacted them and applied anyway. Our daughter was accepted after an skype interview and it looks like our son will too. The biggest differance is that the school fees are equivelant to a few times the annual cost of a "normal" private school like St Marks for some reason.

Regarding real estate we decided in the end to rent for 6-12 months. We are now looking in Trigg to City Beach and can then take our time once we are settled to understand the market, areas, traffic, bogans etc before we buy. Housing prices seem to be coming down a bit i.e. City Beach prices reduced about 9 % for the quarter ending March 2015 ( will be interesting to see the next reports coming out soon) but more significant is the sales volume reduced by 58% in that area compared to the same period in 2014 . There is an reasonable chance that there might be future price reductions and becoming a buyers market with more properties being available to choose from. (not all areas/price ranges are the same though.) We use http://www.onthehouse.com.aufor quarterly summaries and follow the real estate news and also properties for sale to see how long they take to actually go on contract, etc.

Hope this helps, is just our opinion and not nessesaray correct or accurate. In the end there is no real right or wrong way to do it, everyones situation is unique just make the best of it and dont worry too much about everything.

• Like 1

Tx, I also really would have loved to stay in this area to ensure automatic enrolment in an excellent school. I also did my research and with much guidance from this forum and local people, was priviledged to start my children's Ozzie school carreer here. Although I sometimes frown upon the differences between my (old) familiar school expectancies and this new unfamiliar reality, I became attached to the (new) known and really wonderful, accomodating teachers at the school.

I have already (within 5 months) noticed that my children's self confidence is back.

But no matter how hard you plan, sometimes reality kicks in, when the plan needs a little adjusting and that is when the research starts from scratch!

Everyone seems to 'very subtle' advise against Clarkson Senior High School.

At this stage it seems like I'll have to try getting my daughter into the gifted and talented in order to enrol into another high school - So I'll have to figure out how that works and be prepared to drive further each day (and that while we're currently renting just accross the road from the school, so I'm really spoiled!)

I hoped that someone with real experience with the Clarkson public schools would be able to put things into perspective.

Private schools are out of the question for us.

I'll have to make an appointment with the principle there and get a clearer picture about the school.

Just need to write down the things I want to ask him and make the appointment.

Do NOT - I repeat DO NOT enrol your kids in any school that says "Clarkson" .

Mindarie Senior College is very good, BTW. The adjacent school - an Anglican school is also considered great ....

• Like 1

I have enquired at Kinross College, but they can only send me an enrollment application next year and then I'll go on a waiting list. After they have the total enrollment figures of the catchment area and siblings out of catchment, then they'll be able to tell me if they have space!

I have also enquired at Mindarie College, but they only take applications for years 11 & 12.

Oubaasdik, I also spoke to a teacher and she confirmed that at Clarkson College there are a lot of violence and bad behaviour. So if I cannot get her in at Kinross, I'll need some kind of miracle, because Private schooling is out of our budget!

@Kanniewag - why not stay where you are, delay your property purchase while applying at Kinross College, get placed on the waiting list with the intent to move into the catchment area then either:

a. Once you know that your application was successful you kick start your property purchase

b. Purchase now and tenant the property until you ready to move

Just a thought!

I have enquired at Kinross College, but they can only send me an enrollment application next year and then I'll go on a waiting list. After they have the total enrollment figures of the catchment area and siblings out of catchment, then they'll be able to tell me if they have space!

I have also enquired at Mindarie College, but they only take applications for years 11 & 12.

Oubaasdik, I also spoke to a teacher and she confirmed that at Clarkson College there are a lot of violence and bad behaviour. So if I cannot get her in at Kinross, I'll need some kind of miracle, because Private schooling is out of our budget!

Let me ask my friend where he sent his brats ... he lived 4 houses away and his ankle-biters didn't go to the same schools ...

Let me ask my friend where he sent his brats ... he lived 4 houses away and his ankle-biters didn't go to the same schools ...

It seems the snt their kids from Currambine Primary to Bellridge High School .....

Good idea ottg, but our rental period here ends end April 2016. So renting in the catchment area untill our new house should be ready (by August/Sept 2016) is not an option. The 'new' developments closer to the train line and city sell out real quick (the Craigie estate sold out in 3 days)- so the longer we wait, the choices become limited to either inland or farther North / South developments. If you do not occupy the property during the first 6 months, you'll forfeit the first home owner's grant.

I'll keep on investigating and I'm sure we'll find a good school with a way to get in.

Thank you Oubaasdik, I'll have a look at those schools too. Googlemaps and the Myschool websites are my new best friends...

@Kanniewag - good news for you

"An application for the FHOG must be made within 12 months of completion1 of the eligible transaction" that is "Completion of the eligible transaction is when an applicant is entitled to possession of the home under the contract or the building is ready for occupation as a place of residence, and the applicant is registered on the Certificate of Title" Read Here

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Agree with what others have echoed, Clarkson primary and high school have some of the poorest reputations in Perth. I had a look at Butler Primary and while the school seemed ok, the caliber of the students did not so you have to think about who your kids will be mixing with. I know you get good and bad kid everywhere, whether public or private, but they just seemed to have more dodgy parents than normal parents (eg coming to a parent meeting with blue hair and a bikini asking if their teenager could collect their four year old from school!!)

Butler has the new John Butler primary college but i have heard very mixed things about it.

Quinns baptist and Peter Moyes are the main private high schools in this area, plus Alkimos Baptist college which is actually in Merriwa.

• 1 month later...

Can only agree with the above - please stay away from Clarkson! Very low class, very bad elements - Boganville for sure. There is a reason why everyone advises against it. By the way - it is not that impossible to get into St Marks - yes they have long waiting lists, but we got in within months, it's a matter of some luck too. Hale and St Mary's - well - that is VERY expensive! You better have heaps of cash for those.