How soon is too soon?

doggit

How soon is too soon to apply for jobs? I am planning to land in Australia mid January next year, and while I'm aware that getting a job from SA is difficult, I'd obviously like to give it my best shot.

I've been working on my LinkedIn profile, and have been building my LinkedIn network for a couple of months now (and am following RYLC's thread http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/45577-using-linkedin-to-improve-aussie-career-opportunities/). I've seen various positions advertised, but is it too soon to apply if I'm only going to be available from February? Any input appreciated.

doggit

• Like 1

Hello Doggit and welcome to the forum. The main concern of any migrants is of course to secure employment. If that can be done prior to landing in OZ than half the battle is won. We also asked a similar question some time ago, and the majority of the replies where that it would be rather useless to apply for jobs unless you are not in the country. So for a long time we did not even consider applying from this end, and thought of just going without employment and trying to find work when we get there. My husband managed to get 2 months unpaid leave from his employment here in SA in the hopes that whilst we are in OZ he can secure a job. So for around 3 weeks now he has been applying for for jobs. He has managed to get 2 Skype interviews 1 of which was extremely interested in him and he would have secured the job but they wanted someone to do jury trials (my husband is a solicitor) jury trials is something we dont do in SA. Although he didn't get the job it was a very successful interview and the director of the firm told him to visit him when he is in Melbourne to see what positions are available. The other Skype interview was just yesterday, and he was basically told that he is what they are looking for! At this stage we are trying to keep our feet on the ground, but we are very excited and should know by Monday Tuesday next week!!

So what I can tell you from our experience is that yes you can apply whilst in you are in South Africa, but it would be a waste of time you applying if you are not available until February 2016. I know that some companies might be willing to wait for you, and for the right candidate, but I would only apply nearer the time. That way you can give them a date of when you will be actually there, and its not that long for them to wait. I guess it really depends what kind of work you are in and how in demand your work is in Oz. But don't be put off by people saying that companies wont entertain your CV if you are still in SA, as this is definitely not what we have encountered.

Bear in mind Doggit that my husband updated his CV had it done professionally by an Australian company recommended by the forumites here. With his CV he has managed to get his foot in the door and into an interview, where at this point he can sell himself.he also updated his LinkedIn profile, this is vital.

My husband will tell you that Australian companies are very favorable to using Skype these days and are very casual when it comes to interviews and very laid back but professional. Not at all intimidating like SA interviews can be.

All the best in your job search and I hope this information helps you. :-)

Edited by Guest

@emma.yenkanna Are you and your husband using a normal ADSL line for Skype or something else?

I've thought of applying from this side but have wondered if our internet connection is good enough. I know the picture and voice quality haven't always been great when chatting to my wife while overseas on business.

Hi onmyway. My husband and I have an ADSL 2048kbps. Not sure if that is a fast line or normal speed for ADSL? We have used it quite a lot and never had problems either with voice or picture quality. People are using Skype more and more for interviews, not just for overseas applicants but for interstate too. If you do plan on using skype. Here are a few tips you might find useful. http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2013/04/09/7-tips-to-nail-a-skype-interview/

Good luck and go for it !!

Hi Emma. I need to double check on the specs of my line but I'm pretty sure it's slower than that. Probably time for an upgrade :blush-anim-cl:

Thanks for the link, that should be very useful.

Thanks Emma for the advice. It's pretty logical that 5 months is too early to start applying for jobs, I guess I'm just excited/anxious to get the ball rolling. I'll exercise patience for another few months, and work on my resume in the meantime.

doggit, there is a thread specially about LinkedIn CVs/profiles, if you're not already following that, give it a look.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/45577-using-linkedin-to-improve-aussie-career-opportunities/?view=getnewpost

Hey,

A recruiter isn't going to worry that you will only be in the country in a few months. They will just add you to their CV database when you apply for a job.

At the end if the day, it comes down to in which places can you work (don't say all of Melbourne ;) ), what marketable skills you have and how much you want to earn. All of that determines how much effort a recruiter is wiling to do to find you a job.

For example, if you are a developer experienced with using node.js on real projects and you only want to earn $80 000 in Sydney then a recruiter will see your job application and add you to their CV database. If you wanted $110 000 they will add you, but don't expect many calls.

If you don't have a sort after skill and are not willing to work for the low end of the salary scale. Then you will need to be available ASAP as the recruiter will try to get you the job by making sure you go for an interview 1st.

By spending their time sending half decent candidates for interviews, they are playing the numbers. I.e. eventually one of their interviewees will get hired.

Companies will only interview +-3 peeps for each job. So the recruiter will rush to make sure you are one of the three. That's why you need to be here.

BUT, mention on your CV that you have booked and paid for flights and that you have booked temporary accommodation in Aussie. I would also mention what VISA you have. Just to make sure you are taken seriously.

DON'T include a salary expectation on your CV. A recruiter will use software to reformat your CV. So the software may not remove your salary expectation. If your salary expectation is too high or too low it will mess up your chances of getting the job.

• Like 1

Thanks RedPanda, I'm already following that thread.

Thanks monsta, I'll keep all of that in mind. Booking flights beforehand is a bit of a catch-22, as I'm quite prepared to go wherever the work is (I have a 189). Let's see what the next few months brings.

Doggit. Many companies have a policy where they pay your expenses to attend an interview. My previous company was like that. So if we interviewed someone from out of town, my boss had to justify why she paid for his flights. Obviously, she rejected many candidates because they were out of town. But she did interview them once they came out to Sydney at their own expense, then asked for an interview.

Also a recruiter is going to expect you to take at least a week to "fly out" for an interview. When I said the recruiters rush you to go for an interview, I mean it.

That's why having a firm date when you will be here might be a but more palatable for recruiters.

At the end of the day, you have less than say a 10% chance of being hired before you land. So, do you book flights now, save a few thousand and plan your life better? Or do you add a whole lot of stress in case you could be one of the lucky few?

If you have a decent CV, you should get a job within 3 months of arriving. Well that seems to be the norm anyway.

Edited by monsta

Monsta, I have no doubt that you are completely right. I expect that I'm going to have to commit to a location in the near future and book my ticket.

• Like 1

Hey,

There is a real problem with recruiters in Sydney and Melbourne. There are just way too many of them. Leading up to the global financial crisis in 2008, a recruiter could earn $150 000 per year. That's like entry level company director pay. It's certainly not like that any more for recruiters.

So, don't expect a recruiter to call you in for an interview first. The recruitment market is so competitive; so they will look at your CV and see you have particular experience the company is looking for. Then they will rush for you to go for an interview the next day.

For example, they might see you are a salesperson who has sold tractors 10 years ago. They will rush to put you forward for a job selling to feed to farmers. Selling feed and selling tractors are different things, but in a recruiters mind he hears "farmer" and "sales".

So, it all comes down getting lucky. You could get your CV professionally written by an Aussie. By using the Aussie terms for things, it may increase your chances of getting lucky. Also recruiters load your CV into a keyword database. If your CV is in a format that is easier for the recruiter's software to understand correctly, it may help your cause.

Just ask here for a recommendation ona CV writer. I am sure some peeps can tell you what it cost them and if they thought it was worth it