What about my firearms?

Eduan

hi all

We are in the process of planning our immigration (skills assessment done, CAE test booked).

One of the topics that i can not get an answer on yet is, how do i import my firearms? I am a dedicated hunter, and a sport shooter, so this is quite important to me to take along.

Anybody been through the process? How do i import them once we move? Costs? Process?

I will appreciate any feedback..

PS, love this site, gathered a lot of valuable information already ?

Thx

Eduan

Edited by Eduan

I don't know, but considering we are going to be taking an air rifle along(yes, they require you to have a permit even for air rifles and air pistols), I will be keeping an eye on this thread. ;)

Hi Guys.

Yes it is an interesting thread. What if I have a license hand gun? Can I take it with?

What's the protocol?

A friend of mine brought along his entire collection of sport rifles. He was/is a champion shot and doing it here too. He had to apply for certain licenses, had to get proof of membership application from a local rifle club in Australia and need to proof that he was a serious participant in the sport ( in RSA).

As in my own case I sold my sporting rifle (quite a process) and handed in my handgun before I left RSA - no need for it.

Edited by ottg
  • Like 1

Thx ottg, this is starting to put a smile on my face

I am also scanning the web for more info, will post if i find something

In the meantime, it seems like this is a valid question, so hopefully we get some more responses

GenDemo and I did target shooting at school, so I contacted Target Rifle Victoria via their website a few days ago, but I haven't heard back yet. Will let you know if I find out anything.

Yes, you can.

There's a LOT of red tape and so forth.

How I did it was to leave them in safe keeping with a friend, which was perfectly legal up until 2009, when I got permanent residence.

Then I contacted Chris van den Bergh at AFTA (a gunshop) (afta@telkomsa.net ph: 011 782 1217 or 082 574 5750) and dropped them off there - but many gunshops can do the thing, just that some are absolutely useless.

It generally goes like this - main steps - there are other forms as well:

• apply for Aus import permit
  • send to RSA and apply for export permit
  • send
  • wait for customs to get off their butts and pass it along to the importer

I waited over 3 months for Aus customs to release a 308 bolt action to my man here.

I also spoke to my local gunshop in Perth at the time and they handled the import side here with Chris doing it from RSA.

Be aware that you cannot just "have" them, they have to be there for a reason, so join a club or a hunting association and they will support you in your application. For hunting you need access to property, or in my case, I have a NSW Restricted licence to hunt in designated public property.

Pistols are very difficult to licence, and good luck getting one for defence. Pistol shooting is fine, but there are 6 month waits (in WA and ACT) between joining and support.

Each state has different rules - WA is the absolute worst for this. It feels like being back in RSA - annual renewals (which they are supposed to remind you of, but often don't), arbitrary refusals - very capricious.

I only paid the Australian side, because Chris just took his costs out of the handguns I had to leave behind.

Oh, yes, pistols/handguns over .38/9mm calibre are even more restricted as well - only for use in silhouette or Western Action.

Hope this helps - if you need any more give me a shout.

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 1

We brought over a paintball gun. It was promptly confiscated, never to be seen again!

• Confused 1

:blush:

So in summary it seems as if i need to start accepting the fact that it is going to be very hard to take them along. It is really sad, as I see it as a sport more than anything else.

Thanks for all the facts, opinions and views.

• Sad 1

:blush:

So in summary it seems as if i need to start accepting the fact that it is going to be very hard to take them along. It is really sad, as I see it as a sport more than anything else.

Thanks for all the facts, opinions and views.

Weeellll an acquaintance here - also from RSA decided he wanted to bring his entire collection of 65 firearms along.

Without checking he removed the stocks from the firearms and sent them in his container, to save weight when he later sent for the barrelled actions.. When the stocks got here, customs seized them in Perth and because the stocks had metal in them - sling swivels, magazine bodies and so on, they ruled that these were firearm parts and they should be destroyed.

He spent MONTHS fighting them, just to get them to hold onto all the stocks until he could get everything sorted ....

It'll be tough to take them - I did. But you did say you were a dedicated hunter - be dedicated.

Alternately - if none of the firearms you have are heirlooms or collectibles , sell them in SA and get into the scene here.

• Like 1

So what critters do you folks hunt in Aus? And goes Roo meat make good biltong?

There are dedicated roo shooters - think market shooters. Ordinary hunters need not apply.

For stuff that you CAN eat after serious thought and inspection - pigs (feral), goats (feral), rabbits, deer (Rusa, fallow, sambar, red and hog - if I have them all), camels - a friend swears the beef is the best, buffalo (Asian), banteng (look it up), scrub bulls (feral cattle), pheasant, waterfowl.

For stuff that you really probably won't want to eat - dogs (feral), foxes, cats, donkeys, brumbies (this makes the girls cry) - these all hunted because of the damage they do to the environment or to the native animals or the farmers sheep and cattle.

Haven't had roo biltong, but a bit of roo done quite rare with a Cab Sav is not to be looked down on. Bought at Woollies.

I can't think of anything else, but there may well be, but it's enough to be getting on with anyway .....

I have seen (back when I used to have time to read newspapers) full page government ads, in the big Sydney newspapers, calling hunters to sign up for a cull of some sort. I think it was feral pig. So, you will get plenty of practice here.

• 6 months later...

Hey All

Yeah I am looking at this process now as well. It also seems simpler (as OubaasDik) seems simpler to leave them in SA, go to Aus, get your license, get a dealer to apply for the import and send them over.

I am looking at importing a Feinwerkbau P700 air rifle and a 1916 Lee Enfield .303 to Melbourne, Victoria. I only do target shooting and hold national colours for air rifle. Do you need to belong to a club in Aus to hold the firearms? Anybody know of a dealer in Melbourne?

On 2015/08/26 at 0:53 AM, OubaasDik said:

Yes, you can.

There's a LOT of red tape and so forth.

How I did it was to leave them in safe keeping with a friend, which was perfectly legal up until 2009, when I got permanent residence.

Then I contacted Chris van den Bergh at AFTA (a gunshop) (afta@telkomsa.net ph: 011 782 1217 or 082 574 5750) and dropped them off there - but many gunshops can do the thing, just that some are absolutely useless.

It generally goes like this - main steps - there are other forms as well:

• apply for Aus import permit
  • send to RSA and apply for export permit
  • send
  • wait for customs to get off their butts and pass it along to the importer

I waited over 3 months for Aus customs to release a 308 bolt action to my man here.

I also spoke to my local gunshop in Perth at the time and they handled the import side here with Chris doing it from RSA.

Be aware that you cannot just "have" them, they have to be there for a reason, so join a club or a hunting association and they will support you in your application. For hunting you need access to property, or in my case, I have a NSW Restricted licence to hunt in designated public property.

Pistols are very difficult to licence, and good luck getting one for defence. Pistol shooting is fine, but there are 6 month waits (in WA and ACT) between joining and support.

Each state has different rules - WA is the absolute worst for this. It feels like being back in RSA - annual renewals (which they are supposed to remind you of, but often don't), arbitrary refusals - very capricious.

I only paid the Australian side, because Chris just took his costs out of the handguns I had to leave behind.

Oh, yes, pistols/handguns over .38/9mm calibre are even more restricted as well - only for use in silhouette or Western Action.

Hope this helps - if you need any more give me a shout.

Edited by GenDemo
additional info

Websites

https://www.usedguns.com.au/

www.buyusedguns.com.au/
www.ozgunsales.com/
https://www.universalusedguns.com.au/

Gun shops
www.hallsfirearms.com.au/
https://www.gunworld.com.au/
www.abelasgunshop.com.au/
https://www.cleaverfirearms.com/
www.mialls.com.au/
Look at these sites before bringing your guns. Guns are fairly cheap here, getting the licence is a bit more difficult, especially handguns. No self defence here. I'm currently applying for a black powder revolver and even this needs a concealed carry permit as it is a handgun. I'm trying to sell my remaining 8 guns in SA as it wasn't worth bringing them here due to cost. Probably will hand them in to get destroyed.
To get a licence here you need a competency permit first before you can apply for a gun licence. You need to have good reason for wanting a licence, just wanting to have it won't work. The gun shops are all very helpful so contact them. Also each state has it's own specific laws, so make sure you check where you are going to be.
Here is more info

Ours are both rifles, the air rifle is for competitive purposes only, and the Lee Enfield is 100 years old (this year, hehe), but will probably also just be fired on a range, as part of club activities (as opposed to hunting or whatever else people do with rifles?).

21 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Ours are both rifles, the air rifle is for competitive purposes only, and the Lee Enfield is 100 years old (this year, hehe), but will probably also just be fired on a range, as part of club activities (as opposed to hunting or whatever else people do with rifles?).

Check the values of your rifles. 303's are available dime a dozen, even old No1 MK1 (from 1899) from under $800. Remember, every Commonwealth country issued 303's to their military at some stage so there are plenty about, a lot of them in good condition. With regards to air rifles, you can pick up a good competition air rifle for under $500. If your rifles are valuable then it's good to bring them otherwise it could be an expensive exercise.

You also need to be member of a shooting club (this means regular shooting, not just occasional range time. Bring proof of this in SA) or have permission from a landowner to shoot on his property (min 40 acres) before you'll be able to apply for a licence for either of your guns. Licencing is pretty strict here (Australia has some of the strictest firearms laws in the world) but it is not impossible to get licenses.

Edited by Peterthe1
Added detail

Peter has given you some advice - just one problem - the specifics aren't correct for ACT and WA - the two states I am familiar with.

Firearms licences are issued by the STATE and each one is different.

In general, target shooting requires club attendance.

For instance - just a few differences between NSW and ACT and WA

Buying a new rifle.

NSW - go get a permit to acquire for something you are thinking of buying - buy it - take it to the police so they can get the details.

ACT - pay the nice people at the shop - apply for the permit to acquire, at the firearms office - collect the firearm.

WA - pay the people at the shop -  go to your club and fill out the same page 3 times (three copies) of a book that the club keeps (this gives you club support) - fill in your application on the internet (it's a PDF and the application ALWAYS crashes when you're about to print, so save before you print) - take your printout, your copy of the support document to the Post Office and pay and hand it in there - they will post you your new licence - collect the firearm

Licences

ACT - your licence is a plastic card with your pic on it, and a few (not all) of the calibres of ammo you are allowed to buy on the back - you can get a printout of what you own from the cops - it has almost zero legal standing

WA - Your licence is the piece of paper you get from the cops saying what firearms you own - you also have to have a picture card, but is is only a way to tie the paper to the person with the licence

NSW & ACT - 50 acres minimum for shooting centrefire on a property.

I have no idea of the requirements for Vic or wherever you want to go - you will have to check them up

Thanks for the responses. We will indeed have to get clued up about Victoria's gun laws, rules and regs.

The two rifles both have sentimental value for us, so if we can take them over we will, if we can't, we probably won't try to replace them with the same/similar rifles in Australia.

At least we can leave them in RSA with family until we have the whole thing sorted. So we can do it from the Aussie side.

@Peterthe1 Thanks a lot! :D 

Hubby had a 44magnum (great sentimental value) and a double barrel shotgun. When we first migrated to NZ, our agent told him that it would be extremely difficult to take either of them in. He was upset and I jumped for joy. We left them with my sister, locked in a safe, with the necessary documents allowing her to dispose of them, should we decide to do so. I was done with lugging a gun with me when I went out, and the fact that the NZ laws were so strict, made me happy. Six months after arriving in NZ, he called my sister and told her to sell them. She had no problem, as she already had someone who wanted both, and they went the same day. We have now been gone 23 years, and honestly, have been extremely happy that we had neither the responsibility or cost of keeping them here. Hubby has admitted, that he is now extremely happy that he did not bring them with. Being gun free, was an absolute blessing, even more so, than not staring at burglar bars!

I am not gunning (hehe!) for those that do wish to bring their firearms, I am just pointing out that you change countries, and your lifestyle and needs change quite considerably, even if they are of sentimental value.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone have an importer they would recommend in the Melbourne area.

I have a guy that will import for $250 per rifle (including the import permit). Also storage at $25 per month, per rifle.

GD

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

So my dad found an exporter (c4logistics.co.za) in RSA that is willing to export my two rifles for R10 000! I think this is quite a lot and they want me to package it in a wooden crate. Anyone has any opinions/suggestions or other exporters to suggest?