Thinking of going back

taylor1980

Question

We just arrived in Australia in March but I hate the job I am in and struggling to find something else. Thinking of going back to SA.

Ok, how old are you, 9?

Oh Hansa please. Just relax man. No need to get all emotional.

Geez Nev,

Didnt know you had issues, thoughts and prayers with you and the missus. I worked over 900 hours in one year for my Aussie boss, and did not get paid a dime OT for it. But that's okay, I got PR, and that was the prize. i was playing the long game. I work for myself now and and am happy. Yes I have client bosses and the usual gamut of political crap that goes with it. I play that game to the extent that I fit in and benefit the business and yes, myself. But it is no longer a primary focus for me, more like a sideshow and I must confess to some mirth when I now look at all the Dilberts, Dogberts, Toppers, Asooks, evil CEO's, HR bosses etc. Hilarious to draw parallels with them.

• Like 1

Oh Hansa please. Just relax man. No need to get all emotional.

Riiiiight, okay.

• Like 1

My take on it is that newcomers just don't quite get the game, we think just because we speak the language and look the same that we know what is going on, but we don't really get it because we didn't grow up in the culture and we spend the first couple of years just working out how the game works here. Unfortunately it's not as if someone can tell you the rules and you are sorted, you have to work through the subtleties yourself. Our advantage is that we arrive as adults and so can work through the issues relatively quickly.

I remember arriving and after 6 weeks in my job I had a meeting with HR to see how it was going. The one question I asked them was 'can you understand me?' I had worked out that although English is my mother tongue I could not make myself understood as the turn of phrase was different. I worked out Australia won't change for me, it is up to me to adapt. When we get offended and thought we are being taken advantage of, I think it's because we don't put our foot down, we expect people to do the right thing. The Aussie doesn't see it that way however, they see it as a matter of we are happy to do what they ask, because the average Joe will firmly put their foot down long before the Jappie will query wether what is happening is fair.

• Like 4

I wonder if the Poms experience it the same way SA people do when it comes to being treated fair, or is it just the Ozzies who doesnt like us one bit?

Ive read of SA peeps making good friends with Oz peeps outside work, but why then do they treat us like crap when it comes to working environment? Do they feEl threatened by us?

I wonder if the Poms experience it the same way SA people do when it comes to being treated fair, or is it just the Ozzies who doesnt like us one bit?

Ive read of SA peeps making good friends with Oz peeps outside work, but why then do they treat us like crap when it comes to working environment? Do they feEl threatened by us?

Marko, I don't know if you're trolling or if you're misunderstanding, but get the idea out of your head that Aussies have some sort of vendetta against South Africans or treat us badly - it is simply not true.

A few people in this thread have experienced a bad work environment - it's unfortunate, but - don't we all? I've had bad and good jobs in SA, the UK and Aus. Nothing to do with being a South African and nothing to do with Aussies. There are good and bad people in every workplace in every country.

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 6

..Fish, if you go to the 2015 AFL ladder and run your eye right to the bottom you'll see the Qld and NSW teams :blush-anim-cl:

If that's the criteria I'm declaring the A-League our national sport then ;)

DXB2OZ

Loved your post - that's the way I have experienced working here.

I realise it hasn't always worked that way for other people, but I like Aussies (well mostly), and I have never encountered anti-SAffa sentiment, except over the cricket world cup (and I forgive them for that).

• Like 1

Guest SAAussieGirl

Ozzies sound like a bunch of dickheads....

That's sad that you feel that way. Maybe I am biassed because I've been here for a really long time. But not all Aussies are horrible. Actually most of them are a pretty nice bunch of people. Warm, friendly and welcoming. Couldn't honestly think of a better place to live. :D:ilikeit:

• Like 1

I think Marko is just going on what he has heard or read, as it does not appear as if he has already landed and started working in Australia. He may be wise not to comment until he has experienced Aussies for himself.

• Like 4

I agree Mara,

Doesnt; sound like he has any experience of Aus. Tyre kicking at best. i have worked in many countries and seen good, bad and ugly. Aus is frigging awesome and there is no anti-Saffer sentiment here. But I suspect Marko may not like it here.....Maybe stay in Mpumalanga mate? LOL. Just ribbing ya.

I must say that I find them an easy going bunch as well, but they sure don`t work very hard where I am. :) But if you ask how its going the response is always - "Flat out mate, flat out!"

Maybe I`ll be in for a rude awakening at my second job in Aus... when it comes around.

• Like 1

Eish Guys.

I have to opologise for being so harsh with my choice of vocabulary.

And yes I just lifted my opinion on what Ive read on this topic in the earlier posts about what in my view are people being treated unfair.

This is not how I feel about Australians, it was just that they sounded like that.

Its true I have no experience of Oz and I shouldnt be biased at all without any experience of the country or its people.

It all just sounded like they have some hidden agenda against foreigners, which a lot of you hve made clear they dont.

So all is fine.

• Like 5

Good stuff Marko. No harm done!

It all just sounded like they have some hidden agenda against foreigners, which a lot of you hve made clear they dont.

Some Aussies are against 457 visa`s. It seems in some (all?) industries 457 visa`s are at times exploited to get cheaper labor in than available locally.

Good on yer Marko. Sometimes they resent the 457 visa programme, but that is mostly when one of the local companies takes the piss and the abuses the programme. They have tightened it up a lot now, but some Aussies grumble about foreigners being brought in and paid dirt cheap wages to do work. But that is the exception. I came here on a 457 and was liked for my ability to solve problems and generate revenue.

Sorry to hear that you battling.

We have just been here five months. It is very hard, the job market for many of us is virtually non existent too highly qualified for some jobs, not enough experience in others and volunteering is a joke unless you've been here six months and can police clearance (hanging in for that and hopefully things will change for us).

Its not easy, but neither is going back an option we have to make it work, People are banging on the doors to get in and we are going to hold on for that citizenship, with all our might.

I hope it gets better for you and us of course :) so small blessing walking by the sea, no potholes and and abundance of goodies in shops (where we lived in Zambia there were no shopping malls).

Best of luck, hang in there when you far down the ladder the only way one can go really is up :) xx

• Like 1

Hi Jules.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Thats what Im worried about the most as Im slowly working on the process of immigrating.

Not getting a job wont be an option for me.

Do you have any ideas what the job market looks like for tradesmen?

Also could you explain how the police clearance thing works and what is it for on that side?

Edited by marko

Sorry to hear Julie,

Things will look up. I am glad you are of the mindset to MAKE it work, good on yer girl!

@marko, the police clearance is to show people that you are not a felon, child molestor or similar. It gives extra peace of mind, but is not bullet proof, just an added layer of protection that works. For most jobs you wont need it, but people like teachers, carers etc need it.

• Like 1

I hope it gets better for you and us of course :) so small blessing walking by the sea, no potholes and and abundance of goodies in shops (where we lived in Zambia there were no shopping malls).

I am a fellow Zambian from Chingola so I know what you are talking about.

Hang in there, the prize will be worth it.

I've been treated like rubbish in the workplace twice in our almost 11 years in Australia and in both instances it was by ex-South Africans!

I work for a company with 25 staff - only about 5 of them were born in Australia. The rest are from South Africa, India, various Asian countries, UK, Scotland, Ireland, Iran, and the Netherlands. All of us are treated equal and we treat each other equal. It's the most diverse and happy place I've ever worked in. I travel between 3 and 4 hours to work & back and the only reason I'm doing it is because I love working here!

So, I don't know where you've read it, but it's absolute BS!

• Like 7

I've been treated like rubbish in the workplace twice in our almost 11 years in Australia and in both instances it was by ex-South Africans!

I work for a company with 25 staff - only about 5 of them were born in Australia. The rest are from South Africa, India, various Asian countries, UK, Scotland, Ireland, Iran, and the Netherlands. All of us are treated equal and we treat each other equal. It's the most diverse and happy place I've ever worked in. I travel between 3 and 4 hours to work & back and the only reason I'm doing it is because I love working here!

So, I don't know where you've read it, but it's absolute BS!

Oooh fiesty! I like it! Haha.

Im glad its not true at all Riekie. Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

I am a fellow Zambian from Chingola so I know what you are talking about.

Hang in there, the prize will be worth it.

Small world - I lived in Solwezi in a previous life. To us Chingola, Kitwe, Ndola were the "big city". The place we could get ice cream. :)

• Like 1

Arrived in Perth and went to a few interviews at recruitment agencies. No luck yet but hoping to find something soon. Willing to do anything at this stage just to get some income.