Thinking of going back

taylor1980

Question

We just arrived in Australia in March but I hate the job I am in and struggling to find something else. Thinking of going back to SA.

When we first got here my job was fantastic, i got to really get involved in lots of areas, work with new technologies, couple of pay increases in a row, don't get me wrong i worked my ass off, but it was appreciated and that made me happy.

Fast forward 3 years to the last few months and things have gone pretty wrong, im still working a full week and on average 8 hours of overtime and being billed out to clients for it all (For which i don't get paid) but the last few months as the workload has gone from high to ridiculous, suddenly that isnt good enough, and a few days back we had a meeting between the 2 company owners and myself that turned into a 2 and a half hour yelling session, people on the other side of the office could hear us yelling from inside the closed boardroom

I think it was supposed to be a motivation :censored: out session that got out of hand when i didn't roll over and play dead, when i am at fault i will apologize and make it up to you but when i am not at fault and you can't justify your reasoning i'm not going to just accept it.

Short answer, i am back in the market, there are good companies out there, sometimes they go to rubbish, but they are out there, this is a fantastic country, i will find another job.

• Like 1

Taylor1980, I just have to weigh in on this one. Yes Australia is not everyone's cup of tea and there are people that go back for whatever reasons and that's okay. You just need to sit back and ask yourself why you want to go back to South Africa. Is it just because of the job or are there other factors involved here. You need to give it at least a year (if not 2) to settle in and adjust. You've just gone through a major change in you life and it's understandable that you are feeling this way. Just don't give up on it before you've given it a fair go mate.

We have now been here 2 years and it has been a long and hard slog emotionally and financially. Right now things are tough and I find myself having to re-enter the workforce after having tried to start and run my own business, but that's a story for another thread and another time.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go back to South Africa, if that's what you need to do then so be it. I would say though that whatever you do decide to do, be 100% sure that it's the best choice for your family (assuming of course you aren't single). The last thing you want to do now is be divided or go back and regret that choice too. Sit down and make yourself a list of pro's and con's for staying vs going back and take your time about making the decision. Even though you have a job that you don't like much, it goes on the pro side because in the current job market and economy any job is better than the alternative.

I sincerely hope you find peace in the decision you make (whatever that may be) because as a wise forumite once said, "Wherever you are, you are".

• Like 6

Hi there,

Is it just the job that you hate, or are there other things that bother you as well?

Would getting a job that you like fix how you're feeling?

It seems like a very short time to make the decision to want to go home, as I'm sure you've invested a lot in this move like the rest of us. It's perfectly normal to want to go back if thing aren't working out as you feel they should, but I would be careful of doing so that quickly.

What industry are you in? Where are you based?

Let us know more and we can try to help.

• Like 1

Hi Taylor, I see you are in Roma. I would call Fair Work Aus and have a chat to them about whats happening at work and your rights. Also, I would try and reach out to other South Africans in your area (via facebook or Linkedin) and get support and networking opportunities that way. Please dont chuck everything in because of one bad apple (albeit a powerful one). One @$$#ole cant be the architect of your family's future.

We just arrived in Australia in March but I hate the job I am in and struggling to find something else. Thinking of going back to SA.

I also hated my job when we arrived. In fact I liked the work but hated the people! I learnt very quickly what "white-anting" meant and was also "hand balled" all the rough stuff. After a few very short weeks I made myself a promise. Even if I cry myself to sleep every night I will stay long enough to qualify for Aus citizenship. Last Feb we celebrated our 14 years in Oz :ilikeit:

• Like 4

Taylor1980, settling-in is a hard process and takes time. I don't think that there are many that have gone through this process that haven't doubted their decision to come to Australia at some point or another. To give you some food for thought, here's our story:

My husband and I started thinking about moving to Australia all the way back in 1998. We eventually started the process in 2005 and after much delaying in completing all the necessary documents, finally submitted our application in Feb 2007 and received our visa end of that year. We discussed whether we would be better off looking for work first before flying out but I just wanted to start my new life in Australia so we finally landed in Sydney in June 2008. In the years prior to our arrival, we read up on Australia, looked at every programme or documentary that there was available on Australia to better understand the culture and what would await us. Social media not being as big then as what it is now, we had limited resources and limited information at hand. That being said, my husband got so depressed on the third day here that he went to the local travel agent to find out when the first available flight was back to South Africa. Luckily, the first flight would have been with Air Kenya and needless to say, he didn't really fancy flying with them. We had a good long chat - we didn't spend all this time and money to not at least give it a fair go.

My husband didn't do very well psychologically. He took the first job he could get but wasn't happy at all. Decided to look for something else and got another job. Not the perfect job by far, but someting better. In the almost 7 years that we've been here, he's worked for 7 different companies (been retrenched twice - both times, just before Christmas). He wasn't entirely happy with the jobs he was doing, apart from one. It took him 3 months after the first retrenchment to find another job. He later worked for a company as a Sales Service Representative. They poached him from his previous employer and then made him redundant 6 months later. They had a position open as a Forklift Technician and he asked if they would consider hiring him for the job. It is quite a few steps down on the ladder but beggers can't be choosers and bills still need to be paid. They employed him and he had to redo a 3 month probation period with the company (ridiculous!!) I can tell you that he hated every second being in that position. He would come home in the evenings, have dinner and get onto Seek - EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for the past 4 months. He finally found something and has just started his employment with the 8th company as a Sales Rep and I think he might have found happyness again (one can only hope). I think he's always wanted to have the same job he did in South Africa and when he was granted the opportunity to go for an interview last year for the same role here in Australia, he was shot down after the second interview. I think that has been the final nail in that coffin and I think he's made peace with the fact that he's not going to be able to get back into that market.

No one can make the decision on whether you need to stay or go back. That is entirely up to you. Just know that there are many that has been through exactly what you are going through and that it is actually not a strange thing at all. Maybe widen your search to other areas (as you probably have done anyway). There is always an outcome - eventually. Good luck on your decision and on the job search - don't give up hope! :ilikeit:

• Like 3

Decided to bite the bullet and resign from work. Just could not handle it any more. Going down to Perth and see if I can find an accounting job there. At least I have family there which would make it easier. Thanks for all the feedback.

• Like 7

I also hated my job when we arrived. In fact I liked the work but hated the people! I learnt very quickly what "white-anting" meant and was also "hand balled" all the rough stuff. After a few very short weeks I made myself a promise. Even if I cry myself to sleep every night I will stay long enough to qualify for Aus citizenship. Last Feb we celebrated our 14 years in Oz :ilikeit:

Ummm what is "white-anting" and "hand-balled"? Sounds scary

Ummm what is "white-anting" and "hand-balled"? Sounds scary

white-anting: The Macquarie Dictionary says the verb "to white-ant" means "to subvert or undermine from within". The term is derived from the action of termites (white ants) eating the inside of wooden building foundations, often leaving no outward evidence, until the structure crumbles.

hand-ball: What AFL "footy" the national sport and you'll see when a guy gets into trouble (i.e. about to be tackled) he "hand-balls" the ball to another player. In business or in Aussie terms it's know as "hand-balled", in other words getting rid of something quickly because you no longer want it......like a problem at work :o

Hang in there taylor1980 and it will all be worth it in the long run.

Listen to outsiders talk and anyone can sound like a bunch of dickheads.

You should hear what Saffas sound like......

• Like 3

Ozzies sound like a bunch of dickheads....

Oh wow. Okay. Good luck.

• Like 3

Ozzies sound like a bunch of dickheads....

Dont worry, you will fit right in.
  • Like 10

rozellem that is absolute gold!

• Like 3

...What AFL "footy" the national sport....

Us in NSW and Qld would like an explanation of this A.F.L. "national sport" you talk about :boxing:

Edited by Fish

Thank you I know! lol

Atleast I dont SUCK up to them DICKheads.

Eeeevryone wants to be an Ozzi Ozzi Ozzi hoi hoi hoi! Lol so funny.

Edited by marko

Hi Taylor 1980,

A few things stand out for me in your brief posts, and I will try to surmise some of what I have read "between the lines" Take what I write next mate, I mean well. :blush-anim-cl::boxing:

There is almost zero chance you can form an opinion of Aus in 2 months mate, not even if you have a big red S on your chest. :hug:

You have just ripped up the oak tree and planted it Down Under, give the tree (you) time to go through the "shock and awe". phase. it will lose leaves, and look all crappy, but it will make it.

Take the advice from the forumites and nurture and water it for some time, in this case I have to go with HEOJJ and say give it 2 years min. At the absolute outside try and get PR or citizenship. Then you have options.

Think about it mate, your'e here cos SA is sliding downhill, and there is nothing you can do about it. Not unless you are Number One with a fire pool, armoured chicken coops but you aint. :jester: Sh1T, I could have applied for exemption and had my SA pool listed as a fire pool. ROFL.

I sat in my study once in South Africa and arrogantly told God that I would be happy to be in slavery/bondage for 4 years in Aus to earn my PR and freedom. Guess what mate, He held me to that. For four years I got screwed by one Aussie/Saffer outfit to the other, and in the end? Ten days (ten is the number for dominion in the bible) after my 457 expired, what hit my inbox, yes PR. God held me to my cocky promise/boast, to the letter. He is not mocked, let this big fellow tell you.

I am not always known for my prose and eloquence but please, consider what you are thinking of doing. You have serious emotional eddies and currents and we all feel for you, big time. Breathe mate, step back, put the picture and end game into focus and you will be fine. One foot in front of the other.

What some Saffers will give to have that PR paper you hold, almost their very loves in lieu for their families. But yes, it is not for everyone and some do return, Some happy, some not. I recognise that.and I hope that if that is how the cookie crumbles for you that you land on your feet.

My fervent wish is that you "Give it a fair go mate" I have had boom and bust here, currently no work for nearly 6 months (about to start, waiting for paperwork) but still it's an awesome life. I am sorry if you ran into some dickheads at your first job, but that is all over the world mate. Not unique to Australia, I promise I have lived and worked in a ton of places. Young Mara is a serial traveller, she is a most excellent sounding board for what emotions one goes through when one moves.

Summary:

Can you PM me with your CV and details, I am well connected in the Perth market, if I am able to be of service, it will be my humble honour to assist you in any way that I am able to.

Cheers Surferman

There are dickheads everywhere. To someone in Aus and I am sure in every place I have ever been I was considered a dickhead by someone. Am I bothered? Naah, life is too short to kiss people's asses all day long.

Be true to yourself.

• Like 8

Thank you I know! lol

Atleast I dont SUCK up to them DICKheads.

Eeeevryone wants to be an Ozzi Ozzi Ozzi hoi hoi hoi! Lol so funny.

Ok, how old are you, 9?

• Like 5

Its just how it goes here. If you think about it, if you are a migrant you need to have a pretty good job to afford to migrate out here. That usually means you have work experience that most Aussies would love to have.

Remember the cost if living is high here, so Aussies only work on small projects for the Aussie market.

So, if you are an Aussie, how do you protect yourself from migrants taking your promotion? Well, you make friends with your colleagues and share information at the coffee shop. You make contacts in the industry. You make sure your company only deals with established local companies...etc..

It even gets so bad that when hiring companies look for people with a culture similar to theirs as they "will fit in better". At least white South Africans share a simmilar culture.

But always remember, South Africa has affirmative action. That makes it 5x harder for an Aussie to find a job in RSA than vise versa. So us complaining about Aussies covering their bottoms is like the pot calling the kettle black.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback. Going to stick it out a bit longer. Resigned from my current job and feel a lot better already. Planning to take a drive from Qld to Perth just to clear my head and then hit the ground running when I am there.

• Like 3

I reckon taylor just needs to blow soem steam off so his eyesight can get back to its default settings. Nothing like all new stuff in your face to test your resolve. Let's support the fellow and see if we can help him win the day. Carpe Diem!

Not entirely sure what Marko means though....... :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: You get on the web without the nanny? LOL, just ribbing ya mate.

• Like 3

When we first got here my job was fantastic, i got to really get involved in lots of areas, work with new technologies, couple of pay increases in a row, don't get me wrong i worked my ass off, but it was appreciated and that made me happy.

Fast forward 3 years to the last few months and things have gone pretty wrong, im still working a full week and on average 8 hours of overtime and being billed out to clients for it all (For which i don't get paid) but the last few months as the workload has gone from high to ridiculous, suddenly that isnt good enough, and a few days back we had a meeting between the 2 company owners and myself that turned into a 2 and a half hour yelling session, people on the other side of the office could hear us yelling from inside the closed boardroom

I think it was supposed to be a motivation :censored: out session that got out of hand when i didn't roll over and play dead, when i am at fault i will apologize and make it up to you but when i am not at fault and you can't justify your reasoning i'm not going to just accept it.

Short answer, i am back in the market, there are good companies out there, sometimes they go to rubbish, but they are out there, this is a fantastic country, i will find another job.

Hey Nev, I read your post with great interest as I could relate 100%. I'm really sorry to hear that things have not turned out well on the work front. In fact I remember reading some of your very early posts about your arrival in Melbourne, the job etc and thinking, "wow some guys really so get it right first time". You sounded so happy but in the back of my mind I kept thinking "honeymoon period". Pls don't get me wrong, I'm not talking you down but I just want to others to learn that it's not always as it appears on the outside. I've found that working in small to medium size Australian businesses is a survival game and one must always remember that you're there because they need you. The minute that changes, so does your good fortune and typically your happiness. I've been here for over 14 years and trust me I've had my share of knocks and shocks. It took me a long time to wake up and realise that I must have a work face and a home face when it comes to bosses. It's sad that you need to be bipolar to be successful. On the work front you need to be in it for you, play the game their way but all the time making sure it's all about you. They will bleed you because they can. When I read your comment about your overtime being charged to the client but nothing coming your way I shook my head, Ditto mate, been there and have the t-shirt! Then at home you need to be Mr Nice Guy, the easy going family man and friendly neighbour.

I can keep you here all day with stories that I have heard and witnessed where my fellow countrymen and women have come to Australia with a very positive can-do attitude and prepared to work their fingers to the bones only to be taken advantage of and spat out when you're no longer needed. A good SA friend of mine who's a very successful businessman here in Aus once said. "I'm sick and tired of seeing my fellow countrymen being taken for a ride". Our openness, honesty, reliability and often our naivety fuelled by a desire to fit in and be successful is often used against us. i suppose were just easy targets? They know we will not challenge them but you have rights, the exact same rights as any employee and you should be paid overtime, given the same opportunities and treated with the same respect. I do however commend you on your attitude to take this bad work experience, put it in your box of new life experiences and build on it. Sadly I've seen others become much lesser men by not standing up to bullying. Good luck, I hope you land a cracker of a job!

Us in NSW and Qld would like an explanation of this A.F.L. "national sport" you talk about :boxing:

Fish, if you go to the 2015 AFL ladder and run your eye right to the bottom you'll see the Qld and NSW teams :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by Rhyss

I agree on the business bit but think it is more a case of luck of the draw that when i arrived it was a great company and with their expansion and ups and downs they have just gone in a direction that doesn't work for me.

As a sideline most of the company is Expats, the 2 owners are British and a new Zealander, so not a case of Auz vs SA but i agree that does happen.

I'm gonna stick it out at this work until my wife is done with Chemo (So round September) then it is hopefully on to better times and a new city

3 and a half years is also a pretty good innings at an IT company i think

• Like 2