Skilled Visa 189 - Points Test - Degree question

Hi

Can anyone help me with this question:

I am an professional Electrical Engineer with a B-Tech degree. On the points test, do I get the following points;

At least a bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or other degree of a recognised standard - 10 Points

or do I get this:

An award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation - 5 Points

Thanks

Dewald

Hi Dewald123, I would recommend that you send your qualification to Engineers Australia to have it recognised by them, and then you take it from there. If you're immigrating to Australia you will have to do it at some time anyway. It does take a bit of time though.

Hi Dewald

From what I understand and did, you should receive 15points as I have snap shotted below from the 'skill select booklet 6' from immi.gov.au . This is after you have been accredited by Engineers Australia, and then you can do your EOI via skill select and claim your 15points if accredited.

You have met the requirements for award of at least a: = 15 points
• bachelor degree, by an Australian educational institution; or
• bachelor qualification, awarded by an overseas educational institution of a
recognised standard.

In terms of getting accredited, I suggest downloading the MSA (migration skill assessment) user guide from the EA website and take a read through and see how you can get accredited.

Engineers Australia (EA) offers Migration Skills Assessment (MSA) for applicants intending to apply for migration to Australian via the Points Test Skilled Migration scheme. There are five pathways of assessment. They are as follows:
1. Competency Demonstration Report (CDR);
2. Accredited Australian Qualifications;
3. Washington Accord Qualifications;
4. Sydney Accord Qualifications and;
5. Dublin Accord Qualifications.

What I did and his pretty straight forward was the Washington accord path way.

Basically EA recognize the Washington Accord, which recognized ECSA (Engineering Council of SA) and ECSA recognized my degree from my university/tech.

So if you have a B-tech I am pretty sure ECSA recognizes it, then apply for your EA skills assessment through the Washington accord pathway on the EA website, get your accreditation letter from EA, then when you ready, load your EOI (with 15 points for eduacational qualifications section) via Skill Select on the immi.gov.au website. Hope this helps.

P.S. Couldn't snap shot from PDF, so just copied the text in bold.

Goodluck

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your insight, this is most helpful.

I do have the MSA user guide and according to what I understand, I should do the Sydney accord pathway. For the Washington Accord it says:

Professional Engineer.

The minimum academic requirement for an assessment via the Washington Accord are qualifications deemed as broadly comparable to an Australian 4 year bachelor degree in engineering,

Sydney Accord says:

Engineering Technologist.

The minimum academic requirement for an assessment via the Sydney Accord are qualifications deemed as broadly comparable to an Australian 3 year bachelor degree in engineering, in accordance with Engineers Australia's Royal Charter and Bylaws.

I have a B-Tech degree from Cape Peninsula University of Technology, therefore have to do the sydney accord.

Do I still qualify for the 15 points?

Thanks

Hey man, I really don't want to send you down the wrong track. Didn't read that in depth now as I am madly packing up house etc. So I am not too sure about the 15points or not.

Maybe email or call EA? I called them when I waited forever for my accreditation for 17weeks.

And ask them if you should apply via Sydney or Washington, and then perhaps someone on the forum can help with the points U land up with. All I can say after a lot of reading U should find out what U need/will land up with.

Sorry I can't help more currently

Wow HHH, you manoeuvring man! LOLOL, why wait i guess when you have the Visa! We decided to wait awhile for our eldest to finish school this year. :king:

• Like 1

Thanks for the help.

Found out that I must do the Sydney Accord route and that I do get 15 points for degree.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Dear @Dewald123 @HHH thank you for this post, do you know where to start with the Sydney Accord route (link to website perhaps)  and what the cost involve with this process is, how long does it take?

I have already obtained my Skills assessment certificate, done with my National Diploma, but now want to get registered with EA before going over to Aus. 

Many thanks

Melvin