Delay time to be expected at immigration upon arrival

Mongoose

Hi all,

So our flights have been booked through IOM to Melbourne. So we fly into Sydney then catch a connecting flight 1:30 after landing. Will we make this domestic flight. We are traveling with 2 toddlers 3.5years old and luggage consisting of only clothes and a few electronics?

Thanks a mil

Mongoose that is very tight. I normally give myself 3 hours between flights where I have to go through customs in between the flights.

It is certainly tight, however if your tickets are booked all the way through to Melbourne, then Qantas will put you on the next available flight.

It really depends on how many people on the flight are locals (they go through a different queue) and how many flights arrive around the same time.

Oh and you will go through customs and border patrol, not immigration. Go to the customs and border patrol website and read up on what you are not allowed to bring in. You don't want any unnecessary delays :)

That is a bit tight, if all runs smoothly you should be able to make it, but there could be queues in immigration, or the transfer buses can be slow, so it's possible you will miss your flight.

I would suggest changing it if you can, but if you can't, it's not a train smash - you will just be put on the next flight if you miss it. There are regular flights between Sydney and Melbourne.

Thanks a mil guys, I feel a bit better

• 1 year later...

I think it is quite tight, and if your flight from SA is delayed then you're most likely going to miss your connecting flight. My flight into Sydney was delayed and fortunately they put me on the next available connecting flight so really don't stress too much about it. That's what's really great about OZ - they really try to assist you as far as possible.

Don't stress about it. We were travelling to Melbourne and missed our connecting flight from Perth. We had 6 suitcases and a 4 year old to get onto connecting bus. They just put us on the next flight about an hour later. We went and had something to eat and drink and relax a bit ?

• 2 weeks later...

Qantas have a flight to Melbourne every half an hour - there should not be a problem if you miss the flight. Focus on getting through customs, etc, then worry about the flight,