Engineering Skills Assessment

HayleyErasmus

Hi

In the process of gathering documentation for my Chemical Engineering Skills Assessment, Just wondering if anyone has recently applied through the new online MSA system with Engineering Australia and how long it takes?

I have a BSc Eng (Chemical) from UKZN (2005) and the only documentation I need to send is:

1. Degree certificates and transcripts
  2. Passport
  3. English test results

Is this correct?

Do you need to be a member of the Engineering Council of South Africa?

It just seems a little to simple ?1?

Hi @hayleyerasmus

I submitted online in November via the online system, can't remember what all you needed, but if I remember correctly, you also had to upload a copy of the CV but just follow the MSA applicants users guide that you down load from the EA website, it's straight forward.

unfortunately it's a slow process, the website quoted 8weeks, but when I called them after 8 weeks, they said 11weeks, I eventually got it after 17weeks, but with no hassles, I just think they are snowed under.

And no, you don't have to be a member of ECSA, as long as your degree from your university is recognized by the ECSA, then it is recognized by the Washington accord, then you can apply via that route which is much simpler.

Good Luck

Edited by HHH
  • Like 1

Thanks for the response. Did you also get your years of experience (purpose of claiming points) assessed by Engineering Australia?

Sorry for all the questions - but not using an agent for our application so just wanting to ensure I have done all that is required.

Hi, yeah, think that was the purpose of sending the CV, didn't do anything seperate, just applied for Washington accord accreditation. But as far as I know the DIBP whom evaluate your visa submission rely on EA's accreditation of you and then obviously look at your letters of employment as proof of years work experience when you load your visa application. Hope this answers your questions.

Also did it myself, you save a lot of money not going through an agent and I found this form very helpful! Good luck!

expecting my 189 visa in the next 2-3weeks...eeek!

Thanks! All questions answered.

Yip seems simple enough without an agent.

Must be so supper excited. We only at the beginning of the process and excited already!

• Like 1

Hi HayleyErasmus, we also did our own applications for Engineers Australia, although my husband is Electrical. It's very straightforward, but just make sure that everything ties in down to the day for your work experience, i.e. make sure that your cv dates correspond exactly with the letters from companies stating your work history, make sure your work history titles match your cv, etc. We had no hiccups but we made 100% sure that everything tied in. It also makes your cv update *that* much easier when you're having it updated for Australian format because half the work is done. Good luck!

Hi

Thanks for your response. Every small bit of info really helps.

What is an Australian CV format?

Hi

Thanks for your response. Every small bit of info really helps.

What is an Australian CV format?

The Australian CV format (resume) is (I believe, we're still getting it done by a professional) completely different from the SA format. Many people have said that they didn't get any interest in their resume until they'd put it in their format. There are people you can hire to do it for you, or you could probably find a couple of examples on the internet. We didn't want to take any chances, so are having it professionally done. There are a couple of peeps that come highly recommended on the forum - I could pm you the details for the people we're using if you're interested.

Hi HayleyErasmus,

I sent my degree (also electrical) to Engineers Australia via physical post, middle of last year. I had it couriered by DHL, both directions. The process wasn't that slow, but I didn't realise that they require a CV even if you are newly graduated and have no work experience, so that held up my case a little.

We also did the whole application(189) ourselves since it was a very simple case. It can be a bit daunting, since you're never quite sure that you've read everything and all the requirements. But it is actually a simple process. The most frustration we had was on this side with my husband's unabridged birth certificate (they lost his records) and my pcc (the first one said Mr not Mrs, it was oh so tempting to just add the "s"....but of course one can't).

Best of luck with your application!

Thanks for all the advice. My challenge now it to just get my CV updated with all my work experience (luckily all with one company) and then I can submit my application for skills assessment. But knowing many of you are not using an agent gives me that added confidence that I can do this too!

• Like 2

Hi Hayley

When I did the skills assesment with EA, I just used a generic CV template, not an 'ausralianized' one and had no issues. I am going to australianize it when I start applying for jobs but for the skills assesment it was no issue.

I would get your English test booked and done and start the skills assesment as it takes time then worry about your CV.

• Like 1

Hi Hayley,

I agree with HHH above - the Australian version of your CV isn't necessary for the skills assessment, so if you're wanting to get your EOI done asap then focus on making sure your SA format is accurate and send that through to save time.

I've heard that making sure your resume is in their format for job hunting is a must, so have that on hand when the time comes.

I also agree with getting your English test done asap - when my husband went, there was a school hall full of people doing the same thing, and space seems to fill up fast, so book as soon as you possibly can (it seems to fill up about a month in advance).

If I can offer some (more) unsolicited advice - Since the skills assessment takes a couple of weeks, send that off asap, and while that's in progress, focus on trying to get your other documents in order (unabridged birth/marriage certificates, English test, spouse's proof of functional English if applicable, all the certifying and copying of documents etc), so that everything is ready by the time your assessment comes back and you can submit your EOI as soon as possible. Are you applying for a PR189 visa? Best of luck!

• Like 1

English test was booked at earliest Durban date for end June but asked them if I could write sooner and they confirmed yesterday that I can sit on 30 May!! I’m going to apply though (or at least start) for my skills assessment application without my IELTS results but rather include a letter of when I’m writing and include a letter from my university stating my degree was done in English. Hoping this is going to be sufficient (I did check with EA and they said it should be ok), don’t want to wait until the end of May to submit skills assessment application.

Thanks for the advice on the CV side.

• Like 2

HayleyErasmus how did you manage that? You are very lucky, been asking them to swop mine for weeks and they kept telling me to email which I do. And never get an earlier date so I'm still in the June group. Submitted our skills so the IELTS is delaying our EOI. But I'm trying to have patience

Please can I also have those contacts for the AUS CV people. I'll look the format up but probably best to leave it to the professionals.

Hi, sorry I haven't responded yet, but the guy that redid my husband's resume is:

Roland Coombes - Business Manager
itouch professional solutions
Switch: 1800 450 527
Direct Line: 02 9029 9214
www.resume-solutions.com.au

We're really impressed and have heard nothing but good things leading up to using him.

Hi, yeah, think that was the purpose of sending the CV, didn't do anything seperate, just applied for Washington accord accreditation. But as far as I know the DIBP whom evaluate your visa submission rely on EA's accreditation of you and then obviously look at your letters of employment as proof of years work experience when you load your visa application. Hope this answers your questions.

Also did it myself, you save a lot of money not going through an agent and I found this form very helpful! Good luck!

expecting my 189 visa in the next 2-3weeks...eeek!

Well done, the agent would just do the same online, but he would take a ton of your money LOL

Thanks Weddingtog for the CV contact. Will definitely look into it.

Can someone please guide me in terms of relevant skilled employment (years of experience) part of my MSA. All my years (9 in total) have been with the same company. Do I need to get separate letters for each position held or will one be sufficient detailing each position and time frame?

Then when doing the online application do I complete a new tab for each position, with just a copy and paste of employer,hrs per week, evidence of employment etc.

Any guidance will help, just trying to get this application submitted correctly the first time.

Many thanks

Hayley

Hi

I have only had 3 positions, I just got 1 letter stating that I worked for the compnay as an engineer for 4 years and it worked fine. Interms of inputting, I also just said i was an engineer, but maybe spell out each position and copy and paste company name. My changes were small in the 4years hence I just inputted once.

Hope it helps, maybe someone has better feedback.

Good Luck

Hi people,

Concerning EA and my assessments, I need some advice.

I did my BEng Electronical degree in 2000. Back then there were no such thing as Computer Engineering (Software related). So if you were into programming and wanted to specialize in it, you did your electronical degree and stepped into a Systems Engineer career. All fine, I'm happy and doing what I love, programming (for the last 15 years, manufacturing (and simulation/modelling) sector).

But, with an assessment due I am not sure with which "body" to get my qualifications assessed? Engineers Aus (because that's what my degree says) or Australian Computer Society (ACS) (my core job description is "programmer").

Have any of you been faced with the same dilemma? Or do any advice for me? Personally, I feel that going via the EA would give me more credibility (for the lack of a better word)

Concerning SOL, the most spot on job description for what I do is "Software Engineer" (261313) and for that the Assessing Authority is given as ACS.

What do you think, do I just go with ACS?

On AE's FAQ page this Q&A is given:

Q: I have an accredited qualification, but I would rather be assessed in a different discipline than the one on my degree. What can I do?

A: Under the accredited qualifications pathway, the outcome is given in accordance to the discipline of your degree. If the discipline does not match the content of your degree (for example, Electrical Engineering degrees focusing on Electronics Engineering), then a close analyse of the transcript will determine the appropriate occupation.

If you would rather be assessed in a different discipline, then you can apply via the Competency Demonstration Report pathway. Note however that there is no guarantee that you would be successful in getting the outcome you desire as the qualification has to contain the necessary underpinning knowledge in the discipline you are seeking assessment for.
The "Competency Demonstration Report pathway" seems a bit daunting!
Thanks,
Stephan.

If my post (above) is too much of a hi-jack, I could move it to its own thread, just let me know.

(Apologies to the OP)

Stephan.

Hi Stephan

Below is my bit of advice and hope it helps:

1. I have no knowledge with the ACS assessment and so cannot comment.

2. Agree that the EA CDR pathway looks very daunting and I would personally not go that route

3. I would go with the EA assessment of an Electronics Engineer (on the SOL list and corresponds to your qualification), when preparing your CV use the MSA guide book for an Engineer as to what you "suppose" to know, so term you skills in your CV to match their wording - that's what I have done. I'm a Chemical Engineer by qualification but have been in the Brewing industry mainly in management roles for 9 years.

Remember when you get to Aus you don't have to find a job based on what your visa occupation states. Your current qualification and years experience is merely to get you sufficient points to apply for a 189 (if that the visa you are going for)

The EA accredited assessment is pretty straightforward.

I have no knowledge with the ACS assessment and so cannot comment.

You can always try the EA route first and if unsuccessful (though costly!) then try the ACS route.

Hope this helps

Hayley

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone :) really glad there's a thread like this on the forum. Really helpful so far!

So hubby and I are engineers (mechanical and metallurgical/welding respectively from UP). Would just like to know how much the accreditation costs and if it really takes as long as 8 weeks (or more)?

Also how quickly (in general) are engineers being invited to apply after submitting the EOI? We have 2 years experience each.

Thanks for the very useful info so far :)

Since EA launched the new online Migration Skills Assessment the fees will change from August 2015. Just register online and download their brochure. All the info is there as well as the costs. Assessment takes currently 11 weeks. They are very efficient and its just a formality as your qualification is compliant with the Washington Accords. As I've done mine too long ago and was all paper based so cannot comment further except that once you have a positive assessment you can apply for PR visa straight away (things may have changed)

Edited by ottg
  • Like 1

Hi

I submitted by Skills Assessment with the EA on the 11 May 2015, and status still remains with "Queued for Assessment", hoping that it does not taker longer than the 11 weeks their website states.

Its a simple process and the website has all the detail you require.

There are 2 parts to it though:

1. Skills assessment for your degree ($320)

2. Confirming your years of experience for points (since you each only have 2 yrs experience I'm not sure if you will need to do this bit, think you only start receiving point for experience over 3yrs) ($305)

Hope this helps

Hayley

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just about to start the process of getting my skills assessment done. I've been putting it off but today we finally applied for our new passports. Yep...I'm right at the start.

I've never bothered to keep proper record of my previous employment, ie. formal, signed letters stating what I did and what my responsibilities were. Basically my CV and convincing smile have been enough to get me new jobs. :P

What sort of information is needed on these letters and who must sign them? I suppose a proper letter head, dates and outline responsibilities should do it?