Salary Enough?

dlmonnink

Hi Sassy, interesting post and specially viewing it from an office demand rates. Just one concern is that it reflects 2014 and in this economy nothing is certain. That said I can see in my inbox that most job adverts are for Melbourne areas. Thus it is reflective.

I always like the NAB economic reports = ASX 300 Business Survey.

http://business.nab.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ASX300-Quarterly-Business-Survey-March-2015.pdf

Page 1 and the four quadrant pics refers: TopLeft - Business Condition: From 6/2013 the market was in a quick short upswing from a very low base due to political changes. But for the past 1.5 years very undecided. TopRight - Business Confidence: From 9/2013 on a deep downward slope. The biggest concern is BottomRight - Capital Expenditure Plans (What projects???) While it was fluctuating since 2014, around a high level (that can explain the demand for offices mentioned in your post) It is the expected decline that is about to hit us now and in the near future :-(

The upside is that there is always a small green island out there - just need to find it!!

• 3 weeks later...

Minimum wage is around $43000. Anything below $60 000 would mean you would be doing it tough.

I assume you mean the family's main income would be that figure..

• 3 weeks later...

I think 130k is a really good salary, I'm in the SAP BI field and I've worked for many years in SA and just a year in Aus in SAP, I don't know who is offering some of the salaries quoted here, it may have happened in the past but its not happening now. After my last contract ended I've been at home for 6 months.

The market is pretty weak in SAP and ppl take whatever they can get. I'm actually thinking of going back to Microsoft programming which I did when I first started in IT.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Hoping I don't hi-jack the thread here, but I have a similar query.

I will be moving over to Sydney within the next 2 - 3 months on a 457, my PR will be running in parallel.

The signed job offer is for $120k and for worst case scenario, lets assume it includes Super (there was no mention on it).

I have a wife and new born baby on the way (November) and hence, my wife will not be working for at least 8 months (we hoping).

I'm not planning to live in Sydney city itself, as the area is really pricey (still trying to get an idea on places - any suggestions would be great).

The average salaries, I've seen are around 70-95k for what I've seen in Sydney (in my area, software development) so I thought that was a great starting salary, however, this thread has now raised some concerns?

Should I have any need to be worried?

Regards,

Shane

Shane,

Even on 120k with just the 3 of you can survive in the City. You need to keep to a strict budget and maybe focus on a studio or 1 bedroom apartment to start as you find your feet, it might mean not eating out much, cooking at home etc, but it's doable. Also it depends on what cover you want RE private medical insurance, household contents insurance, if you need or want Foxtel/Fetch etc

I'd caution you on committing to living far out and commuting in, it might cost you more in time and money. If you drive there are tolls to consider, a mate pays $37 a day in tolls and live 50kms out, that's an hour to 2 hours one way in traffic and what if you wife and the baby needs you?

You pay more living closer, but the time might be worth more than the potential cost saving.

Cheers

Matt

Hexie, Sydney is massive and you have hundreds of post codes to choose from. Your options are not only a) in the city centre or b ) 60km out on the outskirts. There are so many lovely, affordable areas in the middel. You have to shop around a bit to find something that suits your needs. For renting, If I was you, I would get something like a townhouse in your preferred area and try it out for size. It would be helpful to know where the job is based. Is she having the baby in Sydney? If so, please suggest that she joins the mothers group her hospital puts her in, and really make an effort to get the most out of that. Mine was a complete lifesaver. Especially when I broke my leg at 6 months pregnant, with a 17month old toddler at home. Dont worry about that salary too much, its very workable. Loads of ways to do things on the cheap in Sydney. As long as you take it easy and realise you DO NOT have to emulate your RSA life here and you do not have to have all the bits and pieces immediately. Babies need very very little, dont lets anybody tell you otherwise.

Edited by rozellem

Thanks for the feedback Matt, much appreciated.

Hexie, Sydney is massive and you have hundreds of post codes to choose from. Your options are not only a) in the city centre or b ) 60km out on the outskirts. There are so many lovely, affordable areas in the middel. You have to shop around a bit to find something that suits your needs. For renting, If I was you, I would get something like a townhouse in your preferred area and try it out for size. It would be helpful to know where the job is based. Is she having the baby in Sydney? If so, please suggest that she joins the mothers group her hospital puts her in, and really make an effort to get the most out of that. Mine was a complete lifesaver. Especially when I broke my leg at 6 months pregnant, with a 17month old toddler at home. Dont worry about that salary too much, its very workable. Loads of ways to do things on the cheap in Sydney. As long as you take it easy and realise you DO NOT have to emulate your RSA life here and you do not have to have all the bits and pieces immediately. Babies need very very little, dont lets anybody tell you otherwise.

Rozellem - if it helps, the exact address is [207 Kent Street, Sydney NSW 2000].

I am still looking around at areas and have been told that I should consider the following areas (Lower north shore (Region) | Northern Beaches (Region) | Balmain | Bondi).

Regards,

Shane

Shane,

All nice areas with good transport links, some of which have ferries that will take you to Circular Quay or Darling Harbour and it's just a short walk from there.

Cheers

Matt