Barbie

Hi Everyone

I hope there is someone out there who is a tax fundy.

We are in Australia on a 489 Visa and I have just been offered a job. GREAT!!! :king::D:santa:

Now I need to apply for a Tax File Number. According to the ATO website it appears that I can tick the block of residence in Australia for tax purposes, even though it is not considered so by other government agencies. They say you need to apply the resides test. See the web link below.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Work-out-your-tax-residency/Residency-tests/?anchor=P90_7464#P90_7464

If you disagree with this, please can you let me know.

My next question is can I then also apply for the Tax Free threshold? I can't seem to find clear picture on the ATO website about this.

Thank you for your help.

Barbie

• Like 1

Hey Barbie, yes you need to tick the box resident in Australia for tax purposes because you will be working Nd living in Australia. As far as the tax free threshold goes you will need to find that out from your employer.

When you start the new job you will be given a TFN declaration form to fill in which your employer will then return to the ATO. You can can check the box for tax fre threshold if your salary falls into the correct brackets.

Until you supply your TFN number to your employers, they will be forced to tax you at a non residents rate which is tax group 1 and much higher than tax group 2.

P.S. Congratulations on the job by the way.

The tax free threshold works as follows:

Job number 1.. you claim the tax free threshold.

Job number 2.. you cannot claim the tax free threshold, as you are claiming it from job number 1, therefore taxes will be higher.

Job number 3.. you cannot claim the tax free threshold, as you are claiming it from job number 1, therefore taxes will be higher.

The above examples are for those people who are working more than one job at the same time. If you only have one job, then you would be claiming the tax free threshold. Obviously only if you have a tax file number.

It has nothing to do with thresholds or brackets!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hello Barbie,

Congratulations!! :lol:

I am not a tax fundi but have done some reading up and can say the following:

Yes you are an Australian resident for tax purposes and you can claim the tax thresh-hold, you must remember to indicate as such on the form supplied by your employer. And from what I read, what Mara said is right too.

All the best wishes!

I see i'm a bit late yes but i'll leave my two cents worth here anyway ;-)

Edited by Charne