Job Market

Eto

Hi All,

Just wanted to check in to see if the job market is still "down" or is there at least some improvement or positive signs?

Many thanks

Eto

Well done Surferman, but be aware of those funny long grey white torpedos in the water with the long teeth :boxing:

• Like 2

Fishing is bloody good of late. Catch myself a feed almost daily. But I need to get back into the game, funds are at near zero. I also need money to float my 4 new ground breaking apps. I need to haul @ss in other words. :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

• Like 1

I've been chatting to friends back in WA who work in the finance field, apparently it's looking quite bleak. Even my Australian friends who studied and grew up there aren't finding it easy to move from practice to commerce. Not sure about other fields.

There's a fair bit going on in Victoria... I have no idea about the other states :)

• Like 1

WA is really dependent on mining, the money from mining provides the economy to keep everything else running, unfortunately mining is in for a really long dry spell (15yrs +) if it follows the boom and bust cycle that has been going on since the 1800's.

Eastern Auz has a much more diverse economy and so even though it has its own issues like the drop in manufacturing and the off-shoring of jobs it seems to be ticking along.

If you are looking for work in WA it might be well worth looking to the east as well if that is possible

• Like 1

Reading the above does not sound very promising and i might have to walk that plank and take a chance.

Thanks to all for your input.

Much appreciated.

Eto

Make the move regardless, the unemployment rate is much lower than in RSA and depending on your industry you might get snapped up, but things are a bit slow at the moment

• Like 1

Eto,

Regardless, at least you will probably die of old age in Aus.....not some violent one. I am looking east long term. But if one of my new apps get bought, I'm retiring the same week the cheque clears.

• Like 1

Donovan83,

Yep, Perth it will be, as we lived there from 2005 to 2008 and know the area at least. However, i would prefer moving down south towards Bunbury, but finding something there will be even more difficult i guess.

Eto

I am sure it did Surferman, but house prices down Bunbury way is more reasonable, traffic is better, lifestyle appears to be more relaxed....

Any of you guys play Golf?

• Like 1

Eastern Auz has a much more diverse economy and so even though it has its own issues like the drop in manufacturing and the off-shoring of jobs it seems to be ticking along.

By diverse do you mean we sell our property to foreigners and educate the kids of wealthy Asians who couldn't get their kids into Uni back home? ?

Well there is one software company in Sydney that is successfull internationally... its Atlassian. I can't think of any others. I remember listening to an american podcast from Silicone Valley, "Yeah, we were bought out by Atlassian." " oh yeah, I have heard of them. Where are they from?" "Can you believe it, Sydney!!" " Sydney, Australia?" "Yeah, I know... Its weird"

Edited by monsta

By diverse do you mean we sell our property to foreigners and educate the kids of wealthy Asians who couldn't get their kids into Uni back home?

There is an effect on the property market by external purchasers however most of the effect is caused by the negative gearing and low rates, however the government wont say that as it is not the popular view.

Read the current news, the interest rate just went down a notch and they expecting the prices to rise, the foreigners are not getting local interest rates? They are a small part of the puzzle, just a good excuse.

It is also fantastic for the country that Asians are sending their kids here to be educated for whatever the reason, it gives a huge boost to the economy, cash revenue into the school system and a bucket of tax, you should never frame that in a negative light.

I'm in software and the company i work for, although small is doing fantastically well, we implement ERP systems (Microsoft Dynamics NAV & CRM) and are moving into hosting and subscription based Microsoft software, i get about 2 job offers a month, got a fully covered 457 & PR & I don't even have a degree, so yes the market is down but it really depends what industry you are in and what your skill-set is, and if you willing to be flexible.

Another interesting article i read was that it is becoming more important to market yourself than have a skill-set, and that is true, agents are getting hundreds of applications for a job, most are rubbish but you need to make sure you don't get lost in the pile.

Edited by Nev
  • Like 1

Nev maaaate,

Love the post on marketing yourself. I have had to do it for the first time in about 7-8 years. man I am rusty! I am coming over to the east coast to look for work, Perth is dead. I can say with confidence the mining boom is OVER...I am also in ERP, but the big end of town, SAP. Done a couple of MS ones, but don't like the smaller projects. I like complexity and integration issues!

I have also learnt the gem called a cover letter. I use it now for each job and I seem to have nailed the formula. The last 3 job I applied for by attaching a cover letter all got me an immediate response.

Good post matey!

All good, if you ever want to break into the small end of the scale i can point you in the right direction :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Likewise here matey, if you ever wanna run with the big boys let me know. I can usually get you hooked into a project directly

Well there is one software company in Sydney that is successfull internationally... its Atlassian. I can't think of any others. I remember listening to an american podcast from Silicone Valley, "Yeah, we were bought out by Atlassian." " oh yeah, I have heard of them. Where are they from?" "Can you believe it, Sydney!!" " Sydney, Australia?" "Yeah, I know... Its weird"

There are actually quite a few international companies that originated in Australia. The problem is that the Australian market is too small and often they setup office in USA.

Commercialization Australia have changed their name and website but here are some case studies http://www.ausicom.com/case_studies.php

There are many more eg Internet Wi-Fi from SCIRO more http://www.whitehat.com.au/Australia/Inventions/InventionsA.html

One more: http://www.business.gov.au/grants-and-assistance/Collaboration/CRC/CaseStudiesandNews/Pages/default.aspx

About Atlassian: See http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/44415-opportunities-how-software-will-profoundly-affect-every-area-of-our-lives/#entry402674

Edited by ottg

The ERP IT company I work for has 1 billion market cap, around 1000 employees, 100's of software developer based in Brisbane and has offices in every Australian state and 5 countries in total.

There is an effect on the property market by external purchasers however most of the effect is caused by the negative gearing and low rates, however the government wont say that as it is not the popular view.

Read the current news, the interest rate just went down a notch and they expecting the prices to rise, the foreigners are not getting local interest rates? They are a small part of the puzzle, just a good excuse

I would not be surprised if residents are moving to Australia and then buying property on behalf of people back home. People always find ways to beat the system.It only takes a small number of wealthy people to influence prices.

I know foreigners can only really buy new properties but there are many properties whose value hinges on a developer redeveloping it some day. Once its redeveloped the property if fare game.

The truth about house prices could be something a journalist just wouldn't be allowed to say because it would be too hard to prove.

There is a new property development near where I live. The advertising sign outside the site isn't in English and the development has an Asian name. Its pretty clear who they expect to buy the properties.

Edited by monsta

Probably a sore point for many, but i have always believed that the property prices in Perth are over priced.

Going to get shot down for this... :boxing::ilikeit:

• Like 1

Probably a sore point for many, but i have always believed that the property prices in Perth are over priced.

Going to get shot down for this... :boxing::ilikeit:

I think Perth is going to be an unfortunate example of a mining-boom fuelled property bubble.

I went to home opens in late 2012/early 2013 in the price range I could afford. For a 52sq/m one bedroom apartment, prices were $500k+ in the city. The home open was PACKED with greedy investors licking their chops at the prospect of $500+ a week in rent.

I very nearly got caught up in the frenzy. After all, the price can only ever go up, right? Better get in quick or miss out, right?

It seems like the mining bust is starting to have its effect - the apartment I used to rent for $480 a week is now rented at $380 a week. The owners took 3+ months to sell it (which isn't too bad), but settled on $412k, after initially asking $489k.

One of the greedy investors has stuck in my mind - he made sure to mention at one of the home opens that "this was his third investment property" and "I better buy quick before I am priced out of the market" as if I was some poor broke pauper. This guy couldn't have been more than about 26 and was clearly drinking the kool aid and indebted to the hilt.

I wonder how he's doing now...

I'm kinda hoping prices there normalise a bit over the next 3 years while I'm in Melbourne and then stay that way for when I come home :)

Edited by Donovan83
  • Like 1

Yep and this is exactly what scares me about buying at a high.

Think i will keep the cash in the bank, rent for a while and see what happens.