Things to do before/after arrival

Springbok

Hi everyone,

I will be arriving in Sydney on 2nd of June and need to compile documents and a check-list of all the things I need to do, in order to settle in as hassle-free as possible. Staying on a temporary basis with people in St. Ives while I look for my own place to rent. I will appreciate some guidance with the following list, as I am sure that it is not complete:

I understand that I must get 100 points for identity - how?

Passport and PR visa - got it

Bank account - already opened

CV and other personal documents - on memory stick

Drivers licence - need to do ASAP, what does it cost?

Renting a house - what documents do I need?

Laptop for Internet/Skype/MSOffice - which model, where to buy and what will it cost?

Internet - which broadband option and what are the costs?

Simcard for cellphone - which option and what are the costs?

Public transport - are there tickets for frequent travel?

Register as taxpayer - can I do that while looking for work?

Register for Medicare - can I do that while looking for work?

...?

...?

...?

Thanks

Charl

Hi Charl

I'm not sure if you've looked at this link, its a comprehensive list of things to do before you go compiled by Riekie. Perhaps we need to add a checklist of things to do when you arrive! :ilikeit:

Good luck with your move - I can see from your questions that you're determined to (as the boy scouts say) Be Prepared!

Cindylou

Hi Charl

I'm not sure if you've looked at this link, its a comprehensive list of things to do before you go compiled by Riekie. Perhaps we need to add a checklist of things to do when you arrive! :ilikeit:

Good luck with your move - I can see from your questions that you're determined to (as the boy scouts say) Be Prepared!

Cindylou

Thanks Cindylou, yes I know about Riekie's list, I think mine is more about "the other side" :) , things I need to do in Sydney in order to get my life back to normal as soon as possible. Fortunately it's just myself, so no need for kids' stuff, etc.

Charl

Springbok,

Some one once told me to remember to unregister your TV Licence... as the service there is just poor! Apparently you need to keep track of it (and follow up on it from abroad) on their behalf as well, as they will bill you in your grave... they refuse to take you off the books!

Just mentioning it... it's crap to put up with stuff like this from abroad!

Springbok,

Some one once told me to remember to unregister your TV Licence... as the service there is just poor! Apparently you need to keep track of it (and follow up on it from abroad) on their behalf as well, as they will bill you in your grave... they refuse to take you off the books!

Just mentioning it... it's crap to put up with stuff like this from abroad!

Thanks Dedré - never thought of this, but fortunately they don't have my bank account details! :ilikeit:

I paid every year using electronic funds transfer, but will unregister anyway, thanks!

Hi Springbok,

Jy kan medicare aansoek doen voordat jy permanente werk het, so ook die tax nommer maar doen so gou as moontlik vir die nommer aan en dan sê jy net vir die werkgewer dat die aansoek in gedien is.

Ek sal bietjie by die poskantoor uitvind van die 100 punte. Passpoort tel baie punte, bankkaarte, Lisensie ( ek dink selfs die RSA ene tel vir identifikasie).

Ek kan nou glad onthou van die lisensie gelde nie maar dis nie te duur nie.

Ander goed kan ek nie mee help nie.

As jy dalk wil privaat medies kry. Doen dit sodra jy hier aan kom want die wagtydperk vir meeste claims is 12maande.

Sw

That's a great idea Cindylou - a list of things to do once you've landed. How about folks ?

Scott

I would have found a list like that most useful. The meet and greet package helped alot but it was too much info to take in at once. A short list of NB things to do and phone numbers and where to go to do it would have helped alot.

Anyway we pretty sorted now except for a few things like my tooth has broken and now must find a dentist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Springbok,

Some information to assist:

Drivers Licence: The cost of the knowledge test (theory) and driving test can be found on the RTA website.

Renting a House: Character references are very important when the owner makes the decision on who should be renting their home. Not sure about any other documents required.

Laptop: The model and make is a personal decision and depends on whether you want a slimline, the type and size of a screen etc. I have an ASUS which I'm very happy with. Hubby bought it for me in the city - the best price we could get at the time after shopping around. I can't remember the place's name now, but let me know if you want the details and I'll hunt for the invoice. You can also look at Office Works, Harvey Norman and The Good Guys.

Broadband: This is a guide for the broadband options.

Cell Phone (Mobile): Something to take into consideration is if you have your mobile phone with the same service provider as your broadband, you could get a discounted package. Telstra provides such a package.

All shopping centres have mobile phone shops. All you need to do is walk into one of these shops and purchase a sim. There are also other places, such as Woolworths.

Public Transport: For trains and buses there are tickets for frequent travel. See City Rail for timetables and fares. I'm not familiar with the bus services from St Ives, but found this and this.

Register as taxpayer: You can do this while looking for work and it can be done online here.

Register for Medicare: You can register with Medicare online here.

Good luck with all the paper work!!!

SAS

Hi Springbok,

Hier is AMP Banking se 100 punte vir identifikasie:

"1. Collect identification documents totalling at least 100 points. For example,

- Passport 70 points

- Birth certificate 70 points

- Citizenship certificate 70 points

- Australian driver's licence 40 points

- Social security card 40 points

- Tertiary education ID 40 points

- Council rate notice 25 points

- Credit cards 25 points

- Medicare card 25 points

- Electricity or gas bill 25 points

- Telephone account 25 points

- Foreign driver's licence 25 points" end quote

Ek dink almal gebruik dié punte stelsel.

Groete

Suidwes

Edited by Suidwes

Hi Springbok,

we find it crucial to get an Ambulance card (Ambulance insurance) as soon as possible after arrival. Around $120 for a family, per year, is inexpensive and you'll be grateful for it if misfortune fall on you. Ambulance services in Australia is extremely expensive without it. Just one trip can cost you $5,500+. Sorry I only have the links for Victoria.

Edited by ~Sunflower~

Drivers Licence: The cost of the knowledge test (theory) and driving test can be found on the RTA website.

Thanks SAS! Just checking - do I need to do ALL of the following as per the RTA website, even if I have held my South African drivers licence for longer than 3 years?

- The computer based Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) to gain a learner licence.

- The Driving Test to gain a P1 licence.

- The computer based Hazard Perception Test (HPT) to gain a P2 licence.

- The computer based Driver Qualification Test (DQT) to gain a full licence.

Another thing regarding fees: do I pay only the Licence fee for the Unrestricted Drivers Licence (Gold) once I get it, or do I have to pay the Licence fees for Learner's, P1 and P2 as well? Looks like this exercise (test and licence fees) will cost at least $187 (assuming I don't buy any of the books but download them)!

Regards

Charl

Edited by Springbok

Hi SASydneysider,

Many thanks for the very useful information. I am sure that most of us find the information invaluable. I really appreciate it!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Springbok,

we find it crucial to get an Ambulance card (Ambulance insurance) as soon as possible after arrival. Around $120 for a family, per year, is inexpensive and you'll be grateful for it if misfortune fall on you. Ambulance services in Australia is extremely expensive without it. Just one trip can cost you $5,500+. Sorry I only have the links for Victoria.

Wow, I didn't think of this! Here is the info for NSW:

NSW Ambulance cover

Guest Bronwyn

It's true about the TV license. I had a helluvu fight with them, which ended in them insisting on getting a copy of my Visa, passport & airticket to prove I had left the country.

Very rude. :ilikeit::ph34r::(

I told the supervisor it was because of people like her I moved.

Keep proof of EVERYTHING you send them, including fax transmission sheets......

:blush:

Edited by Bronwyn

Guest colton

You just need to do the written learners test, $38 (I think) and the practical driving test to get your new drivers licence. Speedy services too! :blush:

TV Licence :ilikeit: I don't know one person who hasn't had a problem with them. We had paid ours in full and still 6 months down the line they are hassling us for payment, even after sending endless proof of payment. Eventually we have just ignored them. :ph34r:

Guest Bronwyn

You should sort it out, Colton. They might put you on the Credit Bureau without your knowledge. That will mean endless hassles....send them an email via their website with scanned in PROOF that you have moved out of the country. They don't care that you are up to date now, they think you are just trying to get out of paying any more.

It's a pain now, but it could turn into a much bigger pain in a few years because they add on interest and arrears fees.

:ilikeit:

Edited by Bronwyn

Hi

Regarding the TV License - Swerwer phoned SABC TV Lic. dept today. In order for us to cancel the TV License, we have to send:

1. An avadavit stating that we are relocating AND taking our TV set with us.

2. Copy of passport AND visa

3. Copy of ID

4. TV Licence number

5. Air ticket

ALL of above can then be faxed to their offices at: Cancellation department (011) 330-9560

Hope this helps

Tania

Guest colton

Thanks Bronwyn,

Did all the above that Tania mentioned but still they keep phoning my mom. Incompetence is the only way to describe it. :lol: Maybe they realise that all the fee paying people are leaving and most of their revenue is going too?

Hi everyone,

I will be arriving in Sydney on 2nd of June and need to compile documents and a check-list of all the things I need to do, in order to settle in as hassle-free as possible. Staying on a temporary basis with people in St. Ives while I look for my own place to rent. I will appreciate some guidance with the following list, as I am sure that it is not complete:

I understand that I must get 100 points for identity - how?

Passport and PR visa - got it

Bank account - already opened

CV and other personal documents - on memory stick

Drivers licence - need to do ASAP, what does it cost?

Renting a house - what documents do I need?

Laptop for Internet/Skype/MSOffice - which model, where to buy and what will it cost?

Internet - which broadband option and what are the costs?

Simcard for cellphone - which option and what are the costs?

Public transport - are there tickets for frequent travel?

Register as taxpayer - can I do that while looking for work?

Register for Medicare - can I do that while looking for work?

...?

...?

...?

Thanks

Charl

Charl

You can buy a laptop from Dell We have been very happy with their service. They will deliver it to your door with all the software set up.

Depending where you living in St Ives you can take a bus to Gordon station and then take the train into the city. A monthly from Gordon to City (City includes Wynyard, Town Hall, Central, Circular Quay) is $110 it is cheaper buying a weekly or a monthly train ticket.

- do I need to do ALL of the following as per the RTA website, even if I have held my South African drivers licence for longer than 3 years?

- The computer based Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) to gain a learner licence.

- The Driving Test to gain a P1 licence.

- The computer based Hazard Perception Test (HPT) to gain a P2 licence.

- The computer based Driver Qualification Test (DQT) to gain a full licence.

Another thing regarding fees: do I pay only the Licence fee for the Unrestricted Drivers Licence (Gold) once I get it, or do I have to pay the Licence fees for Learner's, P1 and P2 as well? Looks like this exercise (test and licence fees) will cost at least $187 (assuming I don't buy any of the books but download them)!

Hi Charl,

What Colton is saying is correct. You would only need to do the Knowledge Test and the proper driving test (not sure what RTA calls it). You would definitely not have to do any of the P1 or P2 tests unless you fail the driving test and I'm not sure if it is only applicable after the 2nd fail.

I've not gone through the RTA website so I'm not sure I understand your question regarding the Gold drivers licence. When we got to Aus, we got a standard drivers licence (can't remember the colour now), valid for 1 year and after having no offences in that year, we got a gold licence and could choose the validity of 3 years or 5 years (if I remember correctly). I suggest you email RTA and get the correct information from them.

Additional Information on Laptops: I have remembered the place's name where we purchased my ASUS laptop. It is Digital City in George Street in Sydney City (digitalcity.com.au). I tried to get access the laptop detail, but their site is currently under construction. Remember, don't just accept a price, negotiate. We as SAfricans are not used to this, but this seems to be the norm here. I still find it difficult to do!

I received a brochure in my post box today from Betta Electrical where they also have laptops for sale.

SAS

Edited by SASydneysider