Newbies!

Nicole86

Martin.

I am nearing my old age pension as I write, so I understand the concern that your dad and mum have with both their kids and grandchildren leaving.

They are missing their kids.

The up-side, is that after two years of residency in Australia as permanent residents (not a temporary work visa), if most of their kids (namely, you and your sister & her family) live in Australia (in your mum and dad's case, 100% of their children will be living down under) then you are in a position, after two years of permanent residency to "sponsor" your mum and dad to come and live permanently in Australia.

If they are nearing old age pension age, they will need to live in Australia for up to ten years before claiming the Australian old Age pension, which is pretty good. If they arrive at age 55, for instance, they can access the Aussie old Age pension the same age as the rest of the Aussie population who get their old age pension at 65, but is going up to 67 for those born after 1952) and after only two years of living down under, if they are self - funded retirees, over 60 years of age, they can get the "Seniors Card" which gives free public transport, cheap cinema entrances, cheaper rates on their property, and so on.

So . . . . . it's not all doom and gloom for us oldies.

Have fun, matey.

Edited by Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks! The only problem is that my parents wont be able to afford the monstrous application fee for the parent visa, and not sure if we will be able to pay for it...

Ah well, God's plans are waaayyy better than ours anyway, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out!

Hi Martin,

Sorry about my delayed reply - we're being packed up next week for the big move and will be living with the bare basics in SA in order to set up our new home more or less when we arrive in March! Have you landed yet? What are your first thoughts? Hope the goodbyes went smoothly. Each day, we feel different emotions but are looking forward to getting through the next 2 months (finding this transition time such a pain) and starting our new chapter over in Melbourne.

Looking forward to hearing your news!

Hi Nicole,

We've taken the plunge 10 years ago. Our kids were 11 and 18 at the time. The 11 year old took to it like a duck in water! The 18 year old struggled a bit without his friends, but it took him less than a year - and two visits to South Africa - to say that he will never go back. Both kids are now happily married (to Aussies) and were expecting our first Aussie grandchild in less than a month. We all LOVE it here - warts & all - and we've never looked back. This is our life and our future now and has been for 10 years.

The only struggle for me personally is our parents who chose to remain in South Africa and now realise their mistake too late. They do not want to come visit either as they are too old & scared to make the trip. They live without their children, their grandchildren - who they haven't seen in 10 years - and their great-grandchildren who they will never meet. They are alone in a country where they are not safe and increasingly vulnerable. That is the sad part.