Newbies!

Nicole86

Hi All,

I have been reading up a lot on this forum and so glad I have found this forum. The people are so helpful.

We are at the beginning process - with our minds still in two. Should we stay or should we go?

We are still young and only started our family this year. Our daughter is 5 months and is the main reason we are considering immigrating. It's a tough decision to make as we have no family or friends there. We have a good life here and have worked hard to reach this point.

From those of you who have made the big move, was it all worth it?

Is life in Australia as great as everyone makes it out to be?

We would be giving up everything, and leaving all our family behind.. We would hate to look back with regret.

Any advice/ input would be much appreciated :)

• Like 1

I would say you are at a really good stage to move. Your daughter is young enough not to feel any distress at leaving friends behind, nor has she started in the school system. You need to look at what your lives will be in ten years time and what each country can offer you and your family. Or 20 years time when your daughter is possibly in university or the job market.

Australia is not Africa - both the good and the bad. It is Australia.

For some, this mood has not been great. For others it has been absolutely fabulous. For us, we are quietly happy. That's a state which can be sustained for a really long time. Yes, there are down days, but we really like it here. Fell in love on our LSD and haven't looked back.

We go for walks at night IN THE DARK. The kids cycle home from school. My husband catches the train to work. We live in a smaller house but as we have no home help, this makes it easier to clean. When something goes missing, we know it has just been misplaced instead of going through that awful suspicion. My children are at great local government schools and have a real future. We are accepted for who we are, not who our parents were or where we went to school.

And they have Timtams.

• Like 6

Hi Nicole86,

I second DXB2OZ's statement that you are now in the very best time to move. We left behind in South Africa a pretty good life. Have never experienced crime first hand, had a stable job, a house, a car and no debt. We arrived 2,5 weeks ago in Australia, we temporarily stay with family in their house, we have one vehicle in stead of two, no job and are still learning the ropes this side of the globe. Yet we can really say the quality of life here is much, much better. Our children already took to the street on bicycles, playing with the cousins and friends for hours. They're beginning to show a healthy Ozzie tan. We had picnic at the beach for dinner yesterday night till after dark and went for a stroll on the beach afterwards. No litter, no safety issues. People wandering or jogging on the beach at night. You hear very little dogs barking, there's nothing to bark about !! :ilikeit:

Yes, you leave family and friends behind. We had to keep in mind that our children are our responsibility. Of course we'll miss family and friends, that's normal. But they are not our responsibility, our children are. And all over the world you will find beautiful, wonderful people to befriend. The moment you're earning dollars, you can begin to save up to either sponsor or contribute to a ticket for grandparents to come and visit you.

South Africa is not closely as child friendly as Australia. We've had more positive response toward our children here in the short span of two weeks than in years in South Africa. Children are welcome and loved here and in no danger at all.

• Like 3

Thanks so much for the responses. Safety is one of our main concerns for our daughter, so it really is wonderful to hear that the lifestyle there is so different than here. I want the best life possible for my daughter, which is why we have been looking into immigrating. I want to give her the best life possible.

I guess we were also wondering if life in Aus is really that much safer? It's hard to imagine living a life without fear of crime etc.. it would ally be great if Aus could offer us that :)

• Like 1

Nicole, I have been gone a little longer, now 17 years in Melbourne Australia.

Are we happy, absolutely!

Would we do it again, YES, in a heartbeat!

Are our children happy, ecstatic!

And they were not babes when we moved, they were 17 and 23, respectively...

My parents considered moving to Australia when I was around 8 years old, I honestly wish they had done so, as then I too would have had all of my family around me!

• Like 1

And they have Timtams.

Secretly the reason I am immigrating. :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 2

I started to play with the idea when my inlaws went to visit family in Perth. I quite literally fell into this process by accident, if that's possible. I was gathering info for my own use and filled out an on line form in connection with the import of my little dog and half an hour later an agent phoned me. Long story short we have started the PR process and I feel overwhelmed with everything that has to be sorted out. Documentation, moving, dog relocating, skills assessment, resumes, and the list goes on.

It kinda feels like finding a needle in a hay stack.

My husband has his own business and I am a sheep farmer. Living on a farm has put a bulls eye on our head and being woman alone on a farm all day has made it even worse.

When approaching this decision you are faced with 2 options... Staying and becoming a brutal farm attack statistic or leaving your life as you knew it and starting over.

My 3 children, son 10, daughters 9 and 7 are young enough to adapt but I don't want to raise them just to loose them at 19 because of a country that can't give the future and right to LIFE that they deserve.

Reading everyone's opinions I have decided this choice was the right one. Maybe not easy, but right.

I am a dry sponge, so to say, and advice regarding everything would be so welcome.

I am so pleased there is a platform like this in which our doubts and lack of knowledge can be changed by so many of you that have been where I am right now.

Kind regards

Angelique

• Like 2

Hi Angelique,

It really is an emotional roller coaster we have climbed upon. It seems like a mountain is in front of up, with all the documents etc that need to be gathered. All we can really do is take one step at a time. And one day we will look back and know we made the right decision. So all the hard work is worth it in the end :)

Are you using an agent or doing everything yourself?

I am often on this forum to try and get some tips and advice. Like you, I am also a dry sponge. So grateful for this forum!

Good luck

Angelique.. just wanted to check who the agent was that called you, and whether or not you are using them to assist you with your migration? There are some very shadowy figures out there and we have quite a few migration agents on this forum, who are tried and tested and come very highly recommended. Would hate for you to have stumbled upon one of the bad ones.

• Like 2

Nicole...

I agree 100% and our reward will be a happy, safe life and future. Maybe obstacles of a different kind, but an environment that is safer and conducive to quick problem solving not to mention people who are competent in positions put in place to help....

Mara...

I found out last night that the agency that contacted me is indeed part of Global visas and that I would have become a toffee... If it wasn't for the people of this forum that warned me I would have been non the wiser and R45000 poorer... So I am unbelievably grateful for all of you that helped. All the PM's and posts. You guys are awesome!

With regards to agents on this forum... I will find you and rack your brains for advise ?

Hell of a long road ahead with speed bumps but you'll help keep us newbies focused and on the right path heading in the right direction.

Hi Nicole and Angelique,

Agents on the forum who comes highly recommended.

Reuven Abeshouse from Migrate2Oz (personally used them and could not have been happier with their services) www.migrate2oz.co.za

Stephen Dickson from Migrations Outcome Australia www.migrateaus.com.au

Tiawanna (Tee) Taylor from Taylor Made Immigrations www.taylormadeimmigration.com

Disclaimer: These are NOT the only ones around, just the ones I can think of now and had interaction with.

Edited to make the websites hyperlinks for easier access. :ilikeit: Good luck with the rest of the process guys.

Edited by Bigvan07

Hi Nicole,

Your story is very similar to mine. I have a 4.5 month old baby girl and my husband was offered a job on a 457 visa. We had to make the decision fairly quickly as there were other candidates up for the job. We went through motions of trying to decide what to do. Also we haven't been to Aus before, nor have any close family (distant relatives whom you have never met before don't count!) so all we know about it is based on this forum or what we have heard from friends over there. We have become complacently happy in SA - enjoying our salaries, full time domestic help, support system, free baby sitting from granny, 2 cars and a gorgeous apartment.

Needless to say, amazing opportunities like a job sponsorship to Australia do not come around too often, and we have decided to take the leap of faith. There will always be South Africa, but there won't be any other opportunities like this. We are headed to Melbourne in March 2015. I will look for a job after settling in a bit, then will need to find a good day care for my baby girl. I still have moments of anxiety, but I know we are doing the right thing for our little one.

Hi Leeloo,

It's nice to hear from other people also going through the same process.

Just when we think we have our mind made up, we hear about other SA families that simply hate it there. Then we think "are we crazy for wanting to immigrate" is the grass really greener on the other side or not.

It's the hardest decision we have ever had to make, but like you say, we have decided to make the leap of faith and will be starting our application process in January.

Please keep me updated on things on your side. Would love to hear from your experiences :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Leeloo

My wife and I are flying out next week on my 457, we also grabbed the opportunity and taking this leap of faith! We are off to Sydney. All the best with the last admin, and the family good byes..

We will probably apply for PR after we arrive through the direct stream, as we are scared we love it in Aus and want to stay, but when do do eventually apply after 2 years, the rules have changed.

Good luck and let me know if you have any 457 questions

Hi Martin

Good luck with the move. We are moving over in March. It's the toughest time now, the transition phase.. Had to tell our domestic today which was rough! How are you handling the goodbyes?

What is the direct stream with respect to PR? Not very clued up on PR at all.

Hello Everyone.

After reading many of the great posts on this forum, I feel inspired to make the move to Australia. It is comforting to know that others are willing to share their experiences, offering valuable information, insights. guidance and support to others. It is really good to know that people are looking out for each other!

My girlfriend and I have decided that our goal time period for moving to Australia will be somewhere in the year 2018. We are both young graduates with qualifications in electronic engineering (finishing master's degree) and agricultural science (with master's degree), which both seem to be in demand in Australia at the moment. We believe that our opportunity for career development will be far better in Australia. Another factor is the stability, safety and security offered by Australia. We hope that our qualifications and few years of work experience at that time (2018) would make us suitable candidates for receiving the visas without too much hassle. We plan on obtaining Skilled Independent visas (Subclass 189), as it seems to offer flexibility in terms of employment options and location.

In the meantime, we will be educating ourselves about the application procedure, learning about the Australian continent and culture, while working hard to make the move happen in our 3 year time frame. We also plan on consulting with one of the qualified individuals to help us through the process. It is so exciting working towards a goal that offers great reward!

We wish everyone all the best with their process, and those who have made it across, we hope that you settle in well!

Edited by MCVZ
  • Like 2

Welcome MCVZ. My daughter also studied at Stellenbosch. She graduated in 2014 in mechanical engineering. She left on a 457 visa in March 2013. She was here in December for a holiday. She is very happy in Brisbane and will be applying for her PR visa later this year. Good luck with all your plans and hope all your dreams come true :)

• Like 1

Thanks springmilie :) Congratulations with your daughter's graduation!

I looked into the 457 visas. They seem appear to be more cost effective, and a quicker way of getting there. I have a question if you don't mind answering.

Do you know if it is easier to apply for and get a PR visa if you already have a 457 visa and have worked in Australia for a while?

Maybe Nev can help you more on this, I think he applied for a PR while on a 457. Easier? Maybe in that you've already been in Australia for 2 years and your employer will sponsor you for another two years. The other direct route to PR from 457 is where you can apply immediately for PR, but then you need to do a Skills Select and IELTS. On the points calculator my daughter would not have qualified for a visa as she had no work experience. Her employer has agreed to sponsor her for another two years, so she can start her application later this year

• Like 1

Hi Leeloo

Sorry only responding now, been a bit hectic as this is our last week in SA. Cannot believe what I am typing. The good byes are not easy. Some of our family don't agree with the move - as if we are deserting them here, and it's made everything that is wrong with SA become amplified. But I got a great opportunity and I am taking it! Not having to pay for flights / visa / move / and a job in a first world country - why I would be stupid NOT to take it! Luckily most family and friends are very supportive. My parents are being hit quite hard, as my sister (we are only 2 kids) left last week for Melbourne with her husband and two little ones, and not on a 457, but on a 190, yikes! So my parents will have no children or grand children left in SA. That's rough. But God is carrying them through.

Have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/186.aspx for info on the 186 - I've found the website very helpful and easy to understand. My understanding (and it is very limited still!) is that you can transition from the 457 to the 186 in three different ways. I plan on doing Direct Entry, as I understand that you can apply for the 186 without having to wait 2 years (which is what you need to do on the Temporary Residence Transition Stream). I'm just scared they change the rules within the 2 years! I will need to speak to my employer after I arrive (and have made a good impression of course) to hear what the appetite is for Direct Entry.

Hi MCVZ

I'm also not sure if 457 first and then PR is easier, but at least if you do go 457 first you won't necessarily have the HUGE amount of expenses to get in (as the employer should sponsor your visa). However, it is a totally different visa (ie no access to Medicare, don't have PR immediately etc). On the other hand, if you go 189 or 190, you have a lot of costs upfront, but in my mind, it is then a "ALL OR NOTHING" visa, as in you are in it for the long haul. You of course then have PR from the start.

The 457 could be a good option if you just want to check out if Australia is for you. I must say my 457 process was dead easy. It took a few weeks, but that was mostly because of the internal admin at my employer. From date they lodged the visa application on my behalf and date when I got the visa was about 2 weeks, amazing! I also needed the security of a job on that side before we started selling everything (so it's not like we just upped and left and are hoping for the best!).

All in all you need to decide which one would work best for you.

Good luck guys. Next week this time we are in OZ!! WHOO HOOO :)

• Like 2

Good luck MartinK2409. it is so exciting and such a wonderful opportunity for you. It is very sad :cry: for us as parents to see our children leave the country, but isn't it what we as parents strive for? To make our children independent that they can go out into the world and be everything they want to be. With my daughter everything just fell into place, so I believe this is the path that was set out for her.

Thanks for the info, springmielie and MartinK2409.

Form your information and my own research, I think the more permanent 189 route is more appropriate for us. Having set our goal for 2018, we intend to have a lifestyle that will allow us to cut the chord clean and easy, hopefully making our move to Oz simpler at that time.

Martin, good luck to you! It is a big move, so don't forget your toothbrush :D