Our precious Rand....

Neels

So that 2.6 million rand house. Tell us a bit about it, how many bedrooms, swim pool, garage, yard etc. Area quite good I presume. So in Oz what do you think a house like that would cost? You think ypu could afford a house like that in Oz on the average family income ?

So, yip, housing in SA is also nice and cheap, no worries mate...

Yes just look how awesome this inner city apartment is!

http://www.privateproperty.co.za/sunnyridge-hillbrow-t122173.htm - R150 000!

Close to all the amenities that come with city living :P

Edited by Donovan83
  • Like 1

Pmsl Dono,

Good one mate. The best part....24hour security. Waaahaaaa. In my Aussie house I have an alarm that has never switched on,dunno if it even works. Have you seen the prices in the Ponte lately? Utterly bargain basement prices.

And the best part, it's a huge 19m2' almost enough to swing a cat...if it had no tail. Hey Dono, do you know square metre house prices Aus and SA?

So that 2.6 million rand house. Tell us a bit about it, how many bedrooms, swim pool, garage, yard etc. Area quite good I presume. So in Oz what do you think a house like that would cost? You think ypu could afford a house like that in Oz on the average family income ?

3 bedrooms, no pool, garage, total stand size under 500m2, house 200m2, small yards front and back. The area is middle class suburbia.

A house of similar size and suburb in inner Sydney or Melbourne? About $2.5 - $3 million from what we've seen.

Am I trying to rebuild my life in Aus like we live in South Africa? No, we have no intention of doing that.

We've sold off 2/3rds of our possessions, will be living in a 2-bedroom flat in inner city Sydney saving the balance of what we have earmarked for rent in savings and in 10-15 years once our kids have finished school will probably move an hour or so outside of the city, buy a plot and build a simple 2-3 bedroom prefab home, which is around $270,000 from the plans we've looked at and another $150,000 - $200,000 for an acreage.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart
  • Like 3

Idiot alert,

afreshstart has the stats, eisch, been a long day. I worked a bloody hard, long 7.5 lol, I'm knackered.

Where in Aus? It's a big country and prices vary. I would bet that more people in Aus can afford a decent house compared to people in South Africa.

Ok, so whilst we're making useless comparisons... The percentage of houses with flush toilets in South Africa in the latest census is 57%, would you like to take a guess how many in Aus? My guess is somewhere around 99.9999%... But that's just a guess. :)

• Like 2

You can get a nice farmhouse for a song if you are prepared to live inland...lol. Like the inland joints, for a song..

We've sold off 2/3rds of our possessions, will be living in a 2-bedroom flat in inner city Sydney saving the balance of what we have earmarked for rent in savings and in 10-15 years once our kids have finished school will probably move an hour or so outside of the city, buy a plot and build a simple 2-3 bedroom prefab home, which is around $270,000 from the plans we've looked at and another $150,000 - $200,000 for an acreage.

I think that you're going to be very pleasantly surprised to learn how affordable it actually is to buy a place here and I don't think you'll need to wait that long (firstly) and look at such a low budget (secondly).

To put it in perspective, I remember sitting on Domain.com.au back in SA basically accepting that I'd be a renter for the rest of my life by moving here. Then I moved here, started earning and saving in dollars and suddenly the prices here seemed a bit more doable. Scary expensive, but doable.

Your wife is also a CA and is more senior, it sounds like you'll be bringing a lot more over as a deposit so I really think you're in for a nice surprise :)

• Like 2

2.5 to 3 million in Aus is definitely not middle class suburbia. That's upper end or inner city luxury. Middle class suburbia is more like $450k to $700k in outer suburbs and $500k to $1.5m closer in if you ask me.

• Like 2

I'm like afreshstart,

I will get myself a semi rural joint and build a beach shack. Don't wanna blow millions just dos I have the means to do so. Target is to pay off mortgage in five years.

I'm like afreshstart,

I will get myself a semi rural joint and build a beach shack. Don't wanna blow millions just dos I have the means to do so. Target is to pay off mortgage in five years.

I'm heading in that direction too.

Ideally, if I can spend the next 5 - 8 years living city style and paying off my apartment, building a career etc then buy a nice plot of land somewhere in WA near the beach (I liked the South and build a nice modest 'beach shack'. Rent out the apartment and then use that income to supplement my main employment... it'd be great.

My hope is that the boom prices in Perth will have receded a bit (or at least stagnated for a few years). You never know though...

• Like 1

Too true, in the end I may end up living a fair distance from the city.

Check out Break Water Estate