Salary and Cost of Living - Melbourne

ccsn

Hi Guys

I have a fairly detailed schedule of actual expenses for a family of 4, if you need it, let me know and I will PM it to you.

:grads:

• Like 2

That would be awesome, thank you Mcbear. Can you email it to me claire@maverick-rs.com Always great to see a different budget.

• Like 1

Hi Mcbear - please could you PM it to me as well? Thank you so so much!!

I was also told by a friend who lives in Auz to go look online at Auz shops such as Coles, Woolworths, IGA and Spud Shed, in order to do an "online shop" of various items like toiletries, nappies etc etc to get an idea of what those would cost each month too. Just thought I would share in case it helps anyone :-) I havn't done it yet but will be doing it this weekend.

No probs, sent

Just googled Coff's Harbour, looks really great from the photo's

• 1 month later...

Hi Nev and mcbear

I would love to see those budgets too. Pls can you mail me on leeloo44@hotmail.com. Arriving in melbourne in March 2015.

TIA

Thank you so much for sharing!!! We're arriving end of December without jobs, we're two adults and 2 primary school kids. It would be much appreciated if you could send me the budgets too. Thank you sooooooo much in advance. miran@telkomsa.net

Cool, Sent to both of you, feel free to ask any questions if you have any

Hi Mcbear & NiniJ, please could you also forward the budget to me. Either PM or to Ivan.dadic7@gmail.com

Nev, I received yours... Extremely helpful, thank you!!

Do you guys mind sharing the budgets with me too please? andrevdm07@gmail.com Thank you

Hi, I would really appreciate it if you could send the budget to me too. PM or email bnhome260@gmail.com

Thanks!!

hi nev , would love to see a budget from Melb , I spent some time in Sydney and would like to see what the differences are. We were on 165k as a family and it was tight, but we were overcomitted on our rental and had two kids in daycare $$$$ thanks . You can get me on arossizalmons@gmail.com

At 165k - before tax I assume , your net every month is around $9500, that is a lot of money and should be able afford to you a very comfortable lifestyle.

Maybe you can give us some lessons learnt so that we don't make the same mistakes?

I think we came out with a little less than that, around 8900 pm .... First thing, we were based in Sydney and over 50% of that was committed to a rental. When you first arrive you have South African eyes, and most accommodation does not look great , and we were under pressure to find a place quickly. So if you are able to take some time to find a place , that would help, being under pressure doesn't help keeping to a budget. The other very expensive thing in Oz, is child care. We are used to 5 day a week places in SA, but in Oz its done per day and with two kids under the age of 5 we were paying almost 2k in child care. Both my wife and myself wanted to work, and had to get the kids into daycare. Finding daycare in Sydney is no joke and not and easy task, so when we were offered places we had take them. If you are both planning to work and have young kids , budget for this .... and that is with the rebate. Besides those two items nothing else is terribly horrific , but eating out is a pure luxury that can be costly.

I think for people with young kids and both parents working a 2k cost is something they have to budget for - a good daycare place is usually highly sort after which means waiting lists or higher costs, even if they are at school there is morning and afternoon care - there is government help but one still has to pay a certain amount. I also had to pay a lot more rental in an attempt to lock something down, the agent was smart enough to realize this and charged me more per week than advertised.

Nev and mcbear please can I ask you to send me your budgets too?

Many thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...

Hi

Mcbear and Nev, sorry to bring up an old post can you please pm me the budgets ?

Our 189 visa is lodged and we waiting in anticipation ?