Salary and Cost of Living - Melbourne

ccsn

Ccsn, may I ask why Ashburton, is this close to the work you have got?

Sorry to hijack here but a random question and i know this is similar to how long is a piece of a string or how comfortable do you want to be but is $100k starting excl. superannuation a good salary to live comfortably on for a single male in Melbourne (living in the CBD)

Yes, agree, $100k for a single person is quite comfortable.

Thanks all. Sorry for jumping into the thread like that, it's just I saw on another thread on the forum a woman say she's not happy with $180K and wanting to move back to SA, hence I became curious.

Don't worry, that person's credibility is in question. ;)

• Like 2

If you budget you will be able to survive on that till commission or other half works.

When I say survive , I mean renting a small place and eating well...not living it up! I've noticed some people just dont know how to live on a budget.

He first year in oz is about survival people, putting down roots, and building yourself up financially, if you are sensible with your money you will have a soft landing!

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

• Like 1

Hi ccsn,

It depends on how large a life you are used to living, lots of families do really well on less than 70k for the family

I will pm you the details of a budget to have a look at and see

• Like 5

Thanks all for your advise, definitely about planting our roots and from what i have found $75K will be more than sufficient on a budget until my fiance starts working. Really appreciate the budgets being sent to. Wow, anyone not happy earning $180k in my opinion will never be happy :) Great to hear insiders opinions. I sooooo excited for this challenge :):)

If anyone can suggests some nice, affordable areas that i can look into with good schools that would be great. I have so far been recommended Ashburton and Mentone. I will be working in the CBD.

How long would you be prepared to commute? Love our area but it's about an hour door to door to the CBD.

Hi ccsn,

It depends on how large a life you are used to living, lots of families do really well on less than 70k for the family

Hi Nev, please could you send me that budget, would really appreciate it, thx

Hi ccsn,

Hi Nev, please could you send me that budget, would really appreciate it, thx

:DHi Nev

Please could you kindly pm us with the budget as well - it would really help! If you wouldn't mind?

Thank you so much :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ccsn

when are you arriving at melbourne? I am arriving in Nov, although i haven't booked my tickets yet;)

Jerry

@Nev could I possibly get that budget too? TIA

Nev = rock star! :)

Just glad I am able to help :)

Sent to you Ives

Edited by Nev