Itai's Micro blog - Jhb to Mel

eitai2001

Well done matey! It's not easy to shift careers. Oi you have to stay on the forum & help other newbies. You're not allowed to go

I'm not going anywhere ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hows the amaysim working out? It looks great, but when one looks on their fb page or discusion forums, the list of complaints is massive!

It does the job. Signal isn't bad. But I am thinking of moving over to Spintel. They also use Optus, but the 4G network. Amaysim is only on 3G. I hear Spintel customer service is bad though. I may also just take out a contract.

Their call Centre was useless, just said too many people in queue and cut me off. But the live chat worked and they sorted me out.

I moved from Optus to Telstra, after 10 years.. must say the Telstra coverage is much better. Took out my month to month contract with Telechoice.

In terms of customer service, I actually don't know a good provider - they are all pretty bad.

I try to go for good signal/coverage and value for money first, and just hope that you never have to contact them! I've dealt with Optus, Vodafone and Telstra, and had annoying customer service from all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

24 Oct 2014

Hi Guys.

It's been a while since I gave my last update. So this is what has happened so far:

- After getting the e-mail that I have gotten the job, I waited a few week to get the official offer letter. Though it seems normal to wait a while from what I've heard.

I stressed a lot in this time; worrying that maybe they've decided to turn their decision or found someone better, or just any reason I could think of as to why I didn't yet have an offer letter. At one stage, after speaking with them, it sounded like the position was no longer needed, and I nearly had a heart attack. I got so stressed with the jelly-leg feeling, that for a few days, my legs felt stiff and I could barely walk. But today, FINALLY, I got the official offer letter and I begin work on Monday!! I'm elated, and I cannot wait to start. It is, after all, a dream job for me. The best part is that I have made the career jump I want. Not just a stepping stone in the right direction, but a flat out jump across to the other side of the river! I am no longer working in the Accounting / Finance field and am instead working in Tech (Apps for entrepreneurs). And the best part, is the package offer is similar to what I would have received in my first Audit job had I gone that route ... so it just couldn't have gone any better for me! I am very lucky, and some bigger force has definitely been looking out for me!

- I have begun to take up cycling more seriously, but at a slow pace. I have befriended a girl from South Africa whom I met on a party boat thing, and we are beginning to cycle together. We entered the BUPA Around the Bay challenge, though only the 20km. Though in hind sight, we could've easily done the 50km. Well my legs could, not so sure about my buttocks! It's time to buy padded cycling shorts! And I am slowly beginning to develop a great friendship with this girl I met, so it feels really good to have someone to talk to that isn't my sister :)

- I am going to meet a bunch of you guys next month at the event being organized by Mara. I look forward to it! :D I also met up with some of the forumites already, and it's always great to meet you guys.

- I am now beginning my search for an apartment to stay, as I feel I need to move out of my sisters house. I want to be able to spread my wings more. At this stage, I've decided to find a house/flat share, preferably with an Aussie, which should help me make some more friends and integrate into the Aussie lifestyle better. I'm currently staying in Dingley Village which is just a mission to go anywhere, so I'm planning on a move into the Port Melbourne Council Area (St Kilda, Elwood, etc). Prices for a room are not too bad. Ranging anything from $180 per week for a room, through to $500, but averaging at around $260 with bills included. I have set my budget at $260 per week. There are also great bike trails along the beach and parks in this area, so I'm excited.

- I have also discovered something called FlexiCar (Flexicar.com.au) which allows me to really not have to own a car at all :D ... Basically, I can rent a car for $13.50 per hour if I need one. This includes all expenses such as fuel, etc. There is also a $70 annual insurance fee. But if you register in October, I found a promo code (ATBREDOCT14) which gives you the first year for $0.01. There are plenty cars parked all around the city. Mostly concentrated closer to the CBD, but they go out as far as Elwood. So a car will always be just a short walk away for me, provided it hasn't been booked out. If you decide to register an account with them, please put my name (Itai Etzman) as a referral and let me know in a PM. That way we each get $30 free credit :) In fact, with this system, I'm not even sure it's worth buying a Motorbike any more. Check out these calculations:

Assuming I travel approximately 20 hours a month, I can estimate an hourly cost. After taking into account fuel, insurance, Rego, Services and Capital Cost lost over a period of use of 3 years on the Bike, I come to a cost of around $10 per hour to ride the bike. However, this assumes I ride the bike 20 hours a month. Should I ride the bike for 30 hours, it will cost around $7.50 per hour, but should I ride the bike for only 10 hours, it will cost around $18 per hour. Compared to the car at $13.50 per hour and the huge safety and capacity advantages of a car, it really is a no brainer. I also then do not feel compelled and lazy to use a car / bike than if I had to own one. So I figure this system will actually save me a lot more than even owning a bike.

And the kicker, if I'm going on a date or something and want something a little fancier, the BMW 118i is only $16.50 per hour!! They also have SUV's for only $14.50 per hour and economy cars for $12.50 per hour.

One thing I have done, though, is opt for the optional zero-excess insurance which adds $2 per hour. But it's a worthwhile cost if you ask me.

So there, 1st world living at it's finest! Don't even need to own a car, nor hire a car daily, just to go do some shopping and have a car to take my stuff home :D

- For my Super, I'm looking at using ING Direct's product, as their fees are super low. In fact, if you take their balanced portfolio option, there are no fees at all!! Not deposit, not withdrawal, not start, not exit, not management, nada ... no fees. Though I may step up to one of their flexi products which have percentage based fees, but then let me apportion my contribution amongst portfolio options of my choice (i.e. International Shares, Local Shares, Property, etc). They still manage it, but at least I can set my own ratios. Though I will wait for my capital to build up first. And They also have a more self-controlled option of letting you trade your own Super in shares (I think they have a list of 200 of the ASX) and ETF's without having to set up your own Super Fund. And the costs are still low. So I like their offerings.

Well that's my update so far. I'll post again in a couple weeks once I've been working for a while, and hopefully will have moved already.

Regards

Itai Etzman

• Like 3

Sounds good Itai!

Congrats on the new job. Are you sure you don't feel like doing some more auditing? I hear it's super fulfilling! :D

You can also check out greensharecar.com.au. They have a package that's $0 annual fee, but $16 an hour. I use them as they have a car right downstairs from my flat.

I totally agree with you on the car thing. I've saved so much money by just making do with public transport, a bicycle and the occasional rental car. For groceries, I order online and get them delivered. Some of my friends have asked me how I afforded a deposit to buy a place, or to even buy a place at all, while they are struggling - all of them have cars. In fact, for many of the couples, they each have a car. I think people really underestimate the cost of having a car, and unless you have children, it's pretty easy to get away without one in any aussie city.

Edited by Donovan83

Depends where you live - if you're closer in to the city, or directly on a train line, you can easily get by without wheels, but if you're out in the 'burbs you definitely need one.

One thing I always wonder about these car share programs maybe you guys can answer - where do you get the keys from? Is there a local office or something you have to pick them up from?

Depends where you live - if you're closer in to the city, or directly on a train line, you can easily get by without wheels, but if you're out in the 'burbs you definitely need one.

One thing I always wonder about these car share programs maybe you guys can answer - where do you get the keys from? Is there a local office or something you have to pick them up from?

You get a smart card (basically like a MyKi, although a MyKi should be called a stupid card considering how badly it works) that you touch on the windscreen. The car unlocks and the key is in the car already. It's attached so people don't accidentally take the key with them when they're done using the car.

Agreed you wouldn't easily be able to live carlessly if you were far out in suburbia or not near/on a train line. I'm about 2km from the CBD on a tram line and about 800m from Southern Cross station so it's pretty convenient. Another hidden benefit is that I've managed to rent my car space to one of the neighbors so it's a little passive income coming in to help :)

Another option that worked well for me in Perth was to have a little scooter. I bought myself a Piaggio 50CC Zip. I've found public transport is great for your daily work commute or for routine trips, but for quick weekend errands or to go visit friends or hit the beach it was extremely painful. To go to the beach would take an hour using Transperth, or 15 minutes on the Scooter. And you can get a surprisingly large amount of groceries home on a scooter :P

Annnnnnd now my homesickness is back. I miss my scooter and my Perth. Will this feeling ever pass? :unsure:

Edited by Donovan83

Sounds good Itai!

Congrats on the new job. Are you sure you don't feel like doing some more auditing? I hear it's super fulfilling! :D

You can also check out greensharecar.com.au. They have a package that's $0 annual fee, but $16 an hour. I use them as they have a car right downstairs from my flat.

I totally agree with you on the car thing. I've saved so much money by just making do with public transport, a bicycle and the occasional rental car. For groceries, I order online and get them delivered. Some of my friends have asked me how I afforded a deposit to buy a place, or to even buy a place at all, while they are struggling - all of them have cars. In fact, for many of the couples, they each have a car. I think people really underestimate the cost of having a car, and unless you have children, it's pretty easy to get away without one in any aussie city.

I think I'm pretty sure I don't feel like doing more auditing ;)

Thanks for the link. I've heard about Green Share Car. I'm not going to join right now, as there is a $40 joining fee, so I'm happy with using Flexicar for a year for free. Though these guys have a Toyota HiAce which could be useful for moves. They don't have any Beemers though ;)

You get a smart card (basically like a MyKi, although a MyKi should be called a stupid card considering how badly it works) that you touch on the windscreen. The car unlocks and the key is in the car already. It's attached so people don't accidentally take the key with them when they're done using the car.

Agreed you wouldn't easily be able to live carlessly if you were far out in suburbia or not near/on a train line. I'm about 2km from the CBD on a tram line and about 800m from Southern Cross station so it's pretty convenient. Another hidden benefit is that I've managed to rent my car space to one of the neighbors so it's a little passive income coming in to help :)

Another option that worked well for me in Perth was to have a little scooter. I bought myself a Piaggio 50CC Zip. I've found public transport is great for your daily work commute or for routine trips, but for quick weekend errands or to go visit friends or hit the beach it was extremely painful. To go to the beach would take an hour using Transperth, or 15 minutes on the Scooter. And you can get a surprisingly large amount of groceries home on a scooter :P

Annnnnnd now my homesickness is back. I miss my scooter and my Perth. Will this feeling ever pass? :unsure:

I just can't see the point now in owning a Bike. Especially a 50cc, could that even hit 60kmh :P

The only thing is I want to still do my drivers (have my learners) just so I know I can always use one if I need it.

could that even hit 60kmh :P

On a downhill. With a tail wind.

It was so funny - I used to give people lifts sometimes. So there were two people on a 50cc scooter... which was not ideal on the few hills that Perth had. I once went up Hale Road (a long, steep hill) with a total of about 170kg of people plus beach and barbecue stuff. Was slow!

• Like 1

Dont laugh, a scooter is a brilliant idea. My BIL has a cheap 50cc that he uses to drive to the station with. My husband has a 125cc scooter here in Sydney, that he drives to work. Takes him 30mins door to desk (CBD). It drives on the whiff of a petrol rag, as they say. He pays $90 per quarter to use the Harbour Bridge and the tunnels, as much as he wants, he can use the bus lanes and filter traffic too, so cuts out the gridlock. We both had Vespas ( and no car) in London for 11 years, using the occasional car share like mentioned above. I post this in the hope to give people different ideas on transportation. Dont assume you have to be a two car family in Aus (especially cities).

Dont laugh, a scooter is a brilliant idea. My BIL has a cheap 50cc that he uses to drive to the station with. My husband has a 125cc scooter here in Sydney, that he drives to work. Takes him 30mins door to desk (CBD). It drives on the whiff of a petrol rag, as they say. He pays $90 per quarter to use the Harbour Bridge and the tunnels, as much as he wants, he can use the bus lanes and filter traffic too, so cuts out the gridlock. We both had Vespas ( and no car) in London for 11 years, using the occasional car share like mentioned above. I post this in the hope to give people different ideas on transportation. Dont assume you have to be a two car family in Aus (especially cities).

Stupid question....

But didnt it rain a lot?

Then what? :unsure:

Stupid question....

But didnt it rain a lot?

Then what? :unsure:

Where, Syd or Ldn? Interesting fact, Sydney gets double the rainfall of London. Either way, you always carry light rain cover pants/jacket in the bike box. You very rarely get caught out. We always wear hi viz jackets. My kids think their dad is a postman.......

• Like 1

Sydney...

Do you need a bike licence?

And is the rego as much as for a car?

I am having major transport issues....

Yes, you need a licence in NSW and Victoria. In the other states you could ride a 50cc with your full car licence, like in Europe. You could do a licence here, or did you not have a bike/scooter as a teenager? Mine is a licence I did at 16, it has served me very well. Not sure about the rego, much, much cheaper than that of a car though.

Hi Eitai - thank you for keeping us up to date with your journey so far, lovely to read the progress and good luck with the new job!

How did you manage to change career paths? Did you study something in the IT field after completing your accounting degrees?

Thank you again.

• Like 1

You are one lucky man! Being able to do a career jump to a position and salary that suits you is amazing! And in a wonderful city :) Blessed for sure!

• Like 1

Hi Eitai - thank you for keeping us up to date with your journey so far, lovely to read the progress and good luck with the new job!

How did you manage to change career paths? Did you study something in the IT field after completing your accounting degrees?

Thank you again.

Hey Ives.

I didn't study anything in IT, however I did have some experience running my own online businesses before, where I taught myself about entrepreneurship and coding.

I was very lucky though. I had this bite right from the beginning, but I still applied to other companies. This company was the only one that I even got through to interview with and they were the one I wanted the most. So just pure luck.

Regards

Itai

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

29 December 2014

Hi Guys.

It's been almost 2 months since my last post! Can't believe how the time has flown. I have now lived in Australia for 4 months already ... incredible!

Quite a bit has happened since my last post.

I started working on the 27th October, and have since found my feet at the company. I did stumble around a bit in the beginning, considering I shifted my career. I have built good rapport with the people in the company, and am loving working here. My job is awesome, and I enjoy going to work (well most days anyway). In fact, more often then not, I have to get told to stop working and go home ... it's really enjoyable ;)

I am learning a ton about the app development and startup world, exactly what I wanted. While salary wise, it's not that great, it's definitely worth the salary knock from Audit to work in a field I love. And I know that it can only get better as I've started at the bottom again. It's great that I get along with the management (the GM of the company inviting me to his home for Australia day next year). Somebody in the clouds was definitely looking out for me when this job came around :)

I have also moved out of my sisters home, and into my own apartment. I am now staying in Elwood, on the Nepean highway. I literally have a tram on my doorstep, and I'm around 300m from the train station ... so it's super easy to get around and get to work every day. No driving required (or when I do need to drive, I just rent a flexicar, which I've done a couple times now). It takes me 10min to get to Acland street by tram or bike. Also, 5min to the beach by bike. I got a 2 bedroom place, and am renting out the main room to my work colleague and his girlfriend, with the net effect that I'm only paying $400 a month for rent :)

I am now officially flat broke, having spent all my savings on getting essentials for the apartment such as a Washing Machine, TV, Microwave, Bed, etc. I have done quite a bit of Hard Rubbish Shopping (Read: Free Stuff) to help set up my place though :P.

I'm almost completely settled now, and in the new year, will start having more leisure time and time to enjoy living in Melbourne.

A bit of a shorter update versus my previous ones, but now that all is settled, not tons of new things to touch on :)

I hope you guys have an awesome New Year :)

Regards

Itai

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Itai

Thanks for the awesome post. I enjoyed reading it :)

My hubby and I will be making the move to Melbourne in March. Around the corner and lots to do.

Cheers,

Liora