Itai's Micro blog - Jhb to Mel

eitai2001

HI

Can I ask how you transferred your money?

I am almost at that point, and wondering how to do it...

Thanx

Eyebrow we've used Exchange4free a couple of times now. You can pick them up online. B

• Like 1

Eyebrow we've used Exchange4free a couple of times now. You can pick them up online. B

Would recommend them too. It depends on how much you're transferring, but no matter how small I've always had a substantially better rate than the bank and there's no explicitly charged fees either (they obviously are just integrated into the rate).

• Like 1

I've pre-ordered an Amaysim Sim Card prior to my arrival on the 2nd (Mainly because there is a 40% discount on the 1st month if you buy before 31 August).

I went to Amaysim through the CashRewards.com.au website, and I see the $52 Cash Back is reflecting as pending in my profile ... Awesome!!! ... This Cash Rewards website is awesome :)

And to top it off, Amaysim let me attempt to choose my own phone number, so I now have a phone number which ends in ITAI, so it's easy to remember :D

5 Days to go before I leave my friends, family and pets to start a new life!!!!! :cry:

Edited by eitai2001

Hi Itai ...... thought I recognised the name - you are on Avcom? I replied to one of your posts on there - we are in Brisbane.

Good luck with the move ...... Australia is what you make of it

Craig

Hey Craig.

Oh cool ... are you "Spin"?

Thanks very much :) ... And I plan to make very much of it ;)

Regards

Itai

I have just come home from my farewell party that my friends through, and have checked in online for my flight tomorrow.

I have got such a big bag of mixed feelings, I don't know what to feel at this point! 1 more night to go before the big day!

• Like 7

Welcome to the better side of the fence :D

Welcome to Australia!!!!!

:)

Maaaaaate!

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

7 September 2014

Hi Guys.

So I've been in Australia for 5 days now, and so far, I've managed to do the following:

- Open up a NAB Bank Account and Citibank Bank Account (The latter to use purely for international transactions in ZAR and USD due to zero commission fees).

- Register for Medicare

- Convert my SA Drivers License

- Set up my Amaysim sim card and purchase a Vodafone prepaid sim card to play around with.

- Go to 1 meetup.com event and begin networking.

- Had a meeting with a recruiter.

I also went for the weekend to Phillip Island for a family getaway with my sister, her husband, her kids and my mother.

Tomorrow I'm doing the school run for my sister so she can sleep in :)

I'm also set for Motorbike lessons tomorrow and Tuesday to get my Learners permit (I've never ridden a motorbike before).

I've been super busy as you can tell, and the next step is to crank up the job search a notch.

Feeling wise, so far I'm liking being here ... I love hanging out in the city centre. Besides my birds, I don't really miss anyone from home too much yet, but my mother is here for now which helps.

I'm sure it will really hit me in a couple weeks.

I'll keep you guys informed if anything exciting happens. Time to try register for my TFN (Tax File Number) now.

Regards

Itai

Edited by eitai2001
  • Like 2

Wow!

You have done more in 5 days, than I did the last year!

Keep updating. We like hearing your stories.

Which suburb are you living?

Wow. Congratulations and glad to see you have family supporting which makes it easier. Single male (from the IT industry) here and I'll be venturing into Melbourne (most likely CBD) solo but I'm optimistic so I'm sure it'll be fun and awesome.

I've got my IELTS and awaiting Skills Assessment. Police Check already done. All documents certified and scanned should I need it for future use. Medicals won't be a problem. I receive my skills assessment, if all's good, then it's time to apply for the visa.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It's really appreciated.

Ha ha, so I've been told (That I do things quickly).

Good luck for the process RCO, it's worth it once you get to the other side (At least it has been so far for me ... but I'm definitely still in the honeymoon stage!)

Today I took my motorcycle learners test and passed ... so I now have my Motorcycle Learners license :)

And you aren't solo ... there's quite a few forumites in Melbourne, though I'm yet to meet them ... just been to busy to even contact anyone yet. But you're welcome to contact me once you get here ... hopefully by then, I'll already have a job in the IT industry :)

Regards

Itai

Edit:

By the way, there are other things to put on your to do list once you get here which people forget to mention ... though they're not supremely important.

If you have a paypal account, delete the old one, and create a new Australian one (You can't simply change countries).

Change your Google to Australia so that you get the Aussie Google play store (Same applies for Apple)

Change across your location on all your social media to reflect Aus.

I've now done this for virtually all my accounts (At least all the important ones I can remember).

Edited by eitai2001
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

18 September 2014

Hey guys.

So it's been just over a week from me. So far everything has been ok.

I have received my Tax File Number, and have opened a Ubank account for their excellent savings rate. Though, I'm not too sure

on my own account details, and the money I transferred across bounced back (oops).

I'm still on the job hunt, and it's been pretty slow so far, so still keeping my fingers crossed that I don't end up having to go back to audit.

I recently met up with a forumite who arrived on Friday, so that was cool :) I also went to the Newbies in Melbourne boat cruise on Saturday,

which was fun. And am joining the same group (found on meetup.com) to the Australian Centre for the Moving Image, followed by a movie thereafter

on Sunday.

I actually met a few cool South Africans on the boat cruise, and have joined the Young South Africans in Melbourne group which they told me about.

It's pretty active. There is a function planned for the 18th Oct.

I've also received my actual drivers license card and medicare card, so I'm now I consider myself a full official Aussie resident :D ... now just to get the

job and everything will have been sorted out! It does make things a lot harder that I'm trying to jump careers from the get-go!

I'm also starting to find myself getting more irritated with my SA friends as I hardly hear from them. But that's ok ... it does help me focus on looking forward,

rather than looking back.

Well, that's all for now.

Regards

Itai Etzman

I'm also starting to find myself getting more irritated with my SA friends as I hardly hear from them. But that's ok ... it does help me focus on looking forward,

What you are going to have to realize is that the loss is less to them. A bad way to put it but if you were in a group of say 10 friends when you left, your friends have lost 10% of their friend base, but you have lost 100%.

I've been out of RSA for almost 19 years now. I only keep in contact with 1 of my friends there, and even that is pretty sporadic.

I do however write a newsletter every 6 month and send it to lots of people,even if I've not heard from them since the last newsletter. It will often generate a quick response and you only wrte one letter copied many times. It also means that if I arrive on someone's doorstep they can never claim they haven't heard from me for years!

Edited by 18yearsoutofrsa

I think this is normal but unexpected. I had very close friends. They rarely keep in touch.. it stung at first but then I made new friends and slowly realised that those people were actually a little toxic.

One event sticks out - I went back for my 30th birthday and they arranged to meet for a birthday meal. Usually if I took someone out for their birthday then I'd split the cost of the birthday persons meal... not this lot. Travelled 8,500km and they can't even stick me for $13 worth of sushi. At the time I was struggling to find a place to rent in Perth and was staying with friends, which they knew about. Of course, over sushi, they took the opportunity to rub their new 'investment property' that they'd bought off the plan in my face.

Little did they know that despite my congratulations, I pitied them because I realised they'd just bought the equivalent of the first class cabins of the titanic. So good for them.

"Friends" indeed.

Today, I got that e-mail I've been waiting for. I have passed all interviews at a company and I have got the job :D ... I'm still waiting for the official written offer and contract, but the e-mail at the end of the day is enough to make my weekend smile! :D

I will only get to start working in a couple weeks, as they didn't expect the position to be filled so quickly and it's not open just yet :)

I haven't even been in Aus for a month, and already I have the job checkbox ticked :D ... also, the company seems really awesome. It's a smallish tech startup that's been going for a couple years. The people there so far have seemed really awesome, and I've already met some of the people I'll work with who seem very cool. Most of the interview was designed to determine a culture fit, so should be good :D

I can't wait to start, it is a dream job for me and an exciting company to work at. I can't wait to get the contract so I can sign on the dotted lines! And the best part, it has nothing to do with accounting at all :D

• Like 2

Brilliant work , nothing can take the shine off this weekend! Well done.... It all seems to be falling in place for you, pretty soon you wont even remember old S of A. Keep the updates coming , always good to see positive progress.

Ha ha, well after I begin working, I guess there won't be too many updates left. I will post what I can :) ... I still need to look for a place to stay, but that's only towards the end of year or early next year :)

• Like 1

Well done matey! It's not easy to shift careers. Oi you have to stay on the forum & help other newbies. You're not allowed to go ?