Having doubts leaving SA?

TheMullers

Question

Just a little reminder why we chose to leave SA. This is sad but it is happening....

I thought this might help some people doubting whether they should make the move or not and those people contemplating to come back to SA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECs8ZrmH8D8&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

Up to a few years ago you didn't even need a licence to run a boat out to deep water. My pastor told us a story of how the Coast Gaurd had to rescue him a few times after he sank his boat/crashed it. No licence needed. LOL.

:oops::boxing: (Warning, stereotyping ahead) I have seen so many heroes during my life, as I lived in St. Lucia, but by far the worst were the brandy n coke club on the Vaal dam. Flip it, Absolutely nuts hell bent on killing one another. The ocean guys were generally more skilled, if kamikaze but they got it wrong a few times. Even the locals lost the plot (and their boats) when the notorious North Coast swell would catch them out. My best boating memories though are sitting on the beach in December, and watching the "dik Vaalies" coming in at 750km/h onto the beach to get their boats as high up as they can. The unprepared, unfit, drunk, tired, sun-burnt, fat, unwary ones always ended up flying through the air and hitting the sand, usually without much more than their injured prides and a few scuffs to show the boys. But some broke shoulders and legs etc. All is fair in brandy and fishing I say! :boxing:

Im sure Bigvan07 has a few choice stories to share as well. Hey Johnno, did you launch North Coast or just down in CT mate?

@Johnno,

I am researching the market for a boat to do some inshore/closeby reef fishing here in Perth (North Perth) What brands would you recommend considering? I am still a fair way away from committing but want to start the research now. I also dont like the single motor stories they have here and prefer two smaller motors for safety sake.

Edited by SurferMan

I've also had much fun watching the brandy brigade trying to trail their boats after a long day of "fishing" and sun and failing miserably because they didn't beach properly and had to venture too far into the watre with their 4x4's or they forgot to deflate tyres and were fine on the hard sand but came short when they hit the nice soft beach sand with a tone weight hitched on the back. The fun part is watching the crowds (us included) wetting themselves laughing watching the locals rescue boat and 4x4 with an old beat up diesel Massey Ferguson tractor from 1942.

The key to boating, whether it be inland or open water is to simply know your limits and stick to them, most of the the heroes (as you put it) usually end up seriously injured or even dead.

@Johnno

Where there are vehicles (of any description) there will always be idiots, at least in Australia when you complain about/report those idiots something actually gets done. South Africa doesn't have water police and if they did I would venture to say that most of them couldn't drive a boat nor would they know the rules.

• Like 1

Well whilst you are all on the boating stories, is there anyone out there interested in buying a V8 6.6 litre inboard engine, together with 2 x 2-stage Hamilton Jet Drives? All you have to do is buy a hull and install them. Pretty awesome combination. On the off chance that someone is interested, please PM me.

I've also had much fun watching the brandy brigade trying to trail their boats after a long day of "fishing" and sun and failing miserably because they didn't beach properly and had to venture too far into the ware with their 4x4's or they forgot to deflate tyres and were fine on the hard sand but came short when they hit the nice soft beach sand with a tone weight hitched on the back. The fun part is watching the crowds (us included) wetting themselves laughing watching the locals rescue boat and 4x4 with an old beat up diesel Massey Ferguson tractor from 1942.

The key to boating, whether it be inland or open water is to simply know you limits and stick to them, most of the the heroes (as you put it) usually end up seriously injured or even dead.

@Johnno

Where there are vehicles (of any description) there will always be idiots, at least in Australia when you complain about/report those idiots something actually gets done. South Africa don't have water police and if they do I would venture to say that most of them couldn't drive a boat nor do they know the rules.

Well HEOJJ,

What did you expect lol, SA have submarines that don't work/are crashed, sailors who think its racist to force them to have swimming skills (err, you're a sailor...) boats that lie in dry dock rotting and no skilled people to do maritime patrols. The boat people smugglers would be able to build a proper port there and not even the cops would know/be able to stop them.

Hey Mara,

What the hell were you running? An oil rig tug? LOL

Nah, a pleasure jetboat, managed to pull up 6 skiers at the same time....

• Like 1

The wilder side of Mara revealed. I wish I could, saw the perfect cat hull advertised on Gumtree from an abandoned project that only needs to be sprayed and has just had 4 new long range ally fuel tanks fitted. All it needs is engines and assembly but alas the cash is not enough. :(

@Johnno,

I am researching the market for a boat to do some inshore/closeby reef fishing here in Perth (North Perth) What brands would you recommend considering? I am still a fair way away from committing but want to start the research now. I also dont like the single motor stories they have here and prefer two smaller motors for safety sake.

sorry for the late reply, I missed this one.

Let me start of by saying that I never thought that there would be such a big diffs between boating (fishing) between SA and here in Oz! The layout of the boat and trailer is all quite different from SA but it works for the conditions. I'm Perth based and also north of river and having owned 5 or 6 boats since being in Perth I'd like to think I've done my 10,000hrs....and I'm still married :D

Launching in Perth is a breeze so no need for a 4x4. We have excellent launch facilities NOR at Hillary's, Ocean Reef and Mindarie but north of that like Two Rocks it gets a bit dodgy. Choosing a boat is going to depend on budget and what you intend using it for. You sound like a family man with a few young kids that will enjoy a day on the water so you'd be best getting something that can accommodate them safely. Do not be afraid of single engines, that's a SA "thing". The affordability factor here allows us to have new or near new 4-stroke outboards. By law we have to have a radio and EPIRB. VMR (sea rescue) are excellent and even if you've just run out of fuel or having mechanical problems these guys are quick and very efficient.

Off the top of my head I'd recommend something like a Quintrex bowrider. Great for fishing out at 3 mile reef, and excellent for days on Swan River or even a weekend in Peel Inlet where you can drop a few crab nets and tow kids on a ski tube or knee board. Possibly a bow-rider style would be good for these types of family activities.

These examples have 2-stroke engines which are also very good but 4-strokes are quieter, more fuel efficient and less smell which keeps the missus happy......and remember.......Happy wife, happy life!!!

http://www.boatshack.com.au/bshakboats-for-sale/used/trailer-boats/stacer-605-easy-rider-bow-rider-2004/145413

http://www.boatshack.com.au/bshakboats-for-sale/used/trailer-boats/quintrex-470-freedom-sport-bowrider/154846

Hope this helps but feel free to drop me a PM if when closer to the time you'd like a hand.

• Like 1

sorry for the late reply, I missed this one.

Let me start of by saying that I never thought that there would be such a big diffs between boating (fishing) between SA and here in Oz! The layout of the boat and trailer is all quite different from SA but it works for the conditions. I'm Perth based and also north of river and having owned 5 or 6 boats since being in Perth I'd like to think I've done my 10,000hrs....and I'm still married :D

Launching in Perth is a breeze so no need for a 4x4. We have excellent launch facilities NOR at Hillary's, Ocean Reef and Mindarie but north of that like Two Rocks it gets a bit dodgy. Choosing a boat is going to depend on budget and what you intend using it for. You sound like a family man with a few young kids that will enjoy a day on the water so you'd be best getting something that can accommodate them safely. Do not be afraid of single engines, that's a SA "thing". The affordability factor here allows us to have new or near new 4-stroke outboards. By law we have to have a radio and EPIRB. VMR (sea rescue) are excellent and even if you've just run out of fuel or having mechanical problems these guys are quick and very efficient.

Off the top of my head I'd recommend something like a Quintrex bowrider. Great for fishing out at 3 mile reef, and excellent for days on Swan River or even a weekend in Peel Inlet where you can drop a few crab nets and tow kids on a ski tube or knee board. Possibly a bow-rider style would be good for these types of family activities.

These examples have 2-stroke engines which are also very good but 4-strokes are quieter, more fuel efficient and less smell which keeps the missus happy......and remember.......Happy wife, happy life!!!

http://www.boatshack.com.au/bshakboats-for-sale/used/trailer-boats/stacer-605-easy-rider-bow-rider-2004/145413

http://www.boatshack.com.au/bshakboats-for-sale/used/trailer-boats/quintrex-470-freedom-sport-bowrider/154846

Hope this helps but feel free to drop me a PM if when closer to the time you'd like a hand.

@ Johnno, are there any fishing clubs SOR you know of? Will be landing in Perth in about 6 weeks. Would like to get back into boat fishing ASAP.

Thanks

Dawie

@ Johnno, are there any fishing clubs SOR you know of? Will be landing in Perth in about 6 weeks. Would like to get back into boat fishing ASAP.

Thanks

Dawie

Dawie, yes there are but the best thing to do is to hangout on one of the local fishing forums, it's a library of much needed local info and knowledge. It's also an update on what's happening, who's catching what and where. www.fishwrecked.com/forum is by far the best forum for the local scene.

good luck with your plans, 6 weeks flies by!!