Having doubts leaving SA?

TheMullers

Question

Just a little reminder why we chose to leave SA. This is sad but it is happening....

I thought this might help some people doubting whether they should make the move or not and those people contemplating to come back to SA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECs8ZrmH8D8&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

@Andrea, it's scary that there is even an "other" category for theses statistics.

• Like 1

things livening up a bit in Adelaide....

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/06/30/11/52/sa-school-in-lockdown-after-home-invasion

Talking of giving things a bit of perspective, did you know that 87% of the murder victims in the WC are male, black and between the ages of 18-35 yr old. Not sure about you guys but I do not fall into this demographic and nor do I hang out in shabeens in townships. Never have, they've always appeared too dangerous to me and now we know why.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/profile-of-a-typical-cape-murder-victim-1.1390340#.U7Da7rHuzk8

That is exactly the point.....................you wouldn't walk around in Harlem at night, males are more likely to be aggressors, alcohol is a common precipitating factor, and women are more likely to be attacked or murdered by their partner or someone known to them.

Of course there was the dreadful murder of Jill Meagher, but the issue there is the release of habitual offenders................putting them back on the streets isn't right.

Johnno, the bigger problem I think in South Africa is not really murder and crime as that happens the world over. What is really killing is something like this story from Benoni where the police never helped or maybe could not be bothered. http://carteblanche.dstv.com/behind-scenes-zama-zama-story/

In Zim a similar situation started where the police just stood back while they invaded and took what they wanted. Once they had sorted out the farmers/white folks, they then moved in on one another MDC vs Zanu-PF.

The concern people have is that if you do not implement your laws, then your rule of law is undermined and soon it becomes a free for all.

People perceive there is no law and justice in South Africa either from what they read or 1st hand experience. Once your rule of law falls, then things get hairy.

Would it be a fair statement for me to make by saying the law in South Africa only works for a select few, the rest are left to fight and survive ? In furthering that statement, can corruption be solved or is it just a way of life of living in South Africa ? Would one be comfortable living in a country where the way of doing business is by bribe, can the people/country prosper under such a social setup ?

things livening up a bit in Adelaide....

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/06/30/11/52/sa-school-in-lockdown-after-home-invasion

Talking of giving things a bit of perspective, did you know that 87% of the murder victims in the WC are male, black and between the ages of 18-35 yr old. Not sure about you guys but I do not fall into this demographic and nor do I hang out in shabeens in townships. Never have, they've always appeared too dangerous to me and now we know why.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/profile-of-a-typical-cape-murder-victim-1.1390340#.U7Da7rHuzk8

Haha I heard this on the radio today & said to my hubby 'I have to put that one on the Forum'

Lol Johnno beat me to it. Prospect is an extremely zef area though.

What does zef mean?

And re the story in Adelaide, the last sentence in the article says it all: ""We believe that the offenders know the victims and it was in relation to a debt,"

Edited by Crisplet

Zef is a South African counter-culture movement. Origin of the term: The word zef is an Afrikaans slang word, which roughly translates to the English word common.

I believe in Australia it would translate to Bogan.

• Like 3

Zef is a South African counter-culture movement. Origin of the term: The word zef is an Afrikaans slang word, which roughly translates to the English word common.

I believe in Australia it would translate to Bogan.

Thank you - you learn something new every day...

Thank you - you learn something new every day...

Sorry Crisplet I forget we are not all from the East Rand, hahaha

Juju explained it admirably

:)

Hey it's not just east rant culture, Zef is something well supported in the west of Pretoria.

Some of the Pretoria uni hostels have what they call a "Zef Troue" (Zef Wedding) between the HK's aka Huis Kommitee's (House Committee's) as part of the rag festivities.

• Like 2

Never known a Saffer not to know the term zef. East, West, South or North of Joburg. Maybe its a Gauteng thing.

Never known a Saffer not to know the term zef. East, West, South or North of Joburg. Maybe its a Gauteng thing.

Must be - I'm a KZN girl.

I've asked some of my Saffa friends today and they've never heard of it either. I looked it up and the urban dictionary said it was the same as kitsch which is a word we used to use back in the day.

• Like 1

I dunno about kitsch...zef is like when you wear tracksuit pants to your own wedding. Kitsch is more like when you have a Doily toilet roll holder Barbie in your bathroom...

Actually both are a bit zef, lol.

I guess being zef is a bit like being a redneck.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

Zef.................a sub-cultural oddity http://www.mtviggy.com/articles/thats-zef-the-true-story-behind-die-antwoords-mysterious-style/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zef

South African term that can be likened to 'Kitch' or 'common'.

Zef style has strong 1980s influences and is stereotypically associated South African caucasians of low-middle social-economic status. However, it not nesessarily a derogatory term.

"It's like wearing high heels with a tracksuit. Being truly zef takes guts."

"The ultimate South African style"
Fila takkies and chappies bubble gum...thats zef...Fokken lekker
  • Like 2

'Being truly zef takes guts' I love that Andrea.

Haha high heels with a tracksuit. Oh my gosh. Even worse than tracky-dacks that say 'sexy' on the bum, some uggs and a belly-top in Maccas.

Fish we are practically neighbors as I spend a lot of time around your area. We should have coffee or a pizza at The Grove.

We're in FTP, so lots of dark woody stretches and eerie-sounding birds.

Plus who knows if poor Alison Baden-Clay's murderer is still hanging around these parts (yeah I think we all know where he is).

Oddly I've only been in The Grove once...have you been in the Junk Bar ?

junk-bar.jpg

I don't know much about FTP except that it always seems like a nice leafy area.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

This post had me giggling.... Talk about off topic, but lots of fun to read nonetheless.....

Btw, I grew up in the north of JHB and considered a snob ( although not anymore, after marrying a mechanic from Auckland Park to my parents horror) we used the word zef at school all the time..... And husband turned out to be a good choice... Not zef at all!!!

• Like 3

Could have been worse, you could have married a laaitjie from Benoni. :P

• Like 2

Yes, but my best friend is from Boksburg, so it seems I like to live dangerously!!!

• Like 1

Or marry a Boksburg breeker.

:jester::jester:

1 Litre brandy

2 Litre Coke

3 Litre Ford

...4 ton wife....pmsl. (Don't stone me! That's what was said back in the day...!)

Then there are the old classics from far northern KZN...Vaalies, sop-koppies, sardine siffies, 'kay-daars' Man I remember sitting in the back of the ute watching them come over the bridge like lemmings. My personal favourite was sitting on top of the sand dunes between surfing sessions watching the vaalies storming the on/off ramp, almost crashing, near death misses, getting stuck etc. Oh, and a firm golden oldie.....watching them drag their offspring behind their bakkies at breakneck speeds, and then seeing the kids wipe out. Priceless most days but downright dumb some others. Regular vehicle swampings in the ocean and other blind drunk stupid moves. Then at night watching the sun burnt and blistered sods emerge from their Klipdrift warrens and try pull Tequila Sunrise style moves on the chicks. Us locals surfers almost always won in the end. Sigh, the golden area.... :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

One time i was at a beach bonfire when these two decidedly well-oiled boys in identical Toyota bakkies decided their respective cars were stronger than the other. Us surfers magically produced a chain and tied them up by the tow ball. Suffice to say they both trashed their clutches and had to be towed away, but the spectacle was eye-wateringly funny to watch.

Now, cue the music, "Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end..we'd sing and dance...lalaalaa.." Ala this ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wgUo5knqcA

Enjoy the weekend

• Like 3

How do you spot a vallie in durbs in the winter?

All of us were running around in slops and shorts while all the banana republicans had jeans and jerseys on.

Ja boet, we had names for you buch too.

• Like 2

Or, come rain or storm... there were us vaallies sitting on the beach :whome:

I was one of those vaallie lemmings too... Umhlanga was a great way to spend the holidays!

Edited to add: One of you surfer boys always won in the end ;)

Edited by TammyP
  • Like 2

Hahaaha TammP,

You ever go up north to St.Lucia or Sodwana....Thats my old hunting ground.... :ilikeit::ilikeit:

How do you spot a vallie in durbs in the winter?

All of us were running around in slops and shorts while all the banana republicans had jeans and jerseys on.

Ja boet, we had names for you buch too.

Haha HEOJJ,

Yeah, piesang ****, wax munchers, etc et al. But they never called us that when we paddled out to retrieve their drunk asses from another near drowning...LOLOL. TammyP, Its great you know you preferred the surfers, you have good taste!

• Like 2