Diets

Dedrei

Anybody been on a very good diet in Oz they can recommend? I really need to lose some kilo's :ilikeit:

I've seen Weight Watchers & Jenny Craig on the internet. :ilikeit:

Thanks

My sister in law in Adelaide went on the Weight Watchers diet and lost 17kg since October last year (basically 6 months) - and she was not a "fat" person to start with - she looks fantastic now!

Used to own my own slimming clinic so maybe I can ad some value..?

Diets are always good but everybody's 'body' reacts differently and we all loose weight at different rates. The diets mentioned so far are great and there are plently more. If you battle with dieting (I hate being told what to eat) can I suggest:

- cut bread out of your diet

- watch the dairy-keep it low fat if you have to have dairy

-use a protein shake or 'diet shake' to substitute a meal (I like Nutrimax slim)

- stay away from complex carbohydrates and stay with the simple carb's (veggies, fruit)

- try using lots of BROWN rice instead of white rice. Very nice when mixed with tuna, chicken, veggies etc

- try to eat several small healthy meals instead of 3 large meals pr day

-drink lots of water (also makes you feel full)

- if you need to snack- watch out- make sure that you are snacking on low fat/no sugar snacks. I use popp corn, corn flakes, bran flakes.

-EXERCISE

-As your metabolism speeds up you will get hungrier don't deny your body but make sure that you are eating the right stuff.

My mother made the sad mistake of thinking that muesli is slimming..... it's not-as she discovered.

Anyway, good luck-let us know if you find out something interesting :ilikeit:

Edited by Caroline

Hi

I am a guy who has never dieted or needed to so dont know to much about this but I have a wife and 2 daughters one of whom is 16 who is always worried about putting on weight even though she does not and she eats more than most adults including me.

Our philosiphy is to just eat more smaller healthier meals and do a bit of excersise. We dont go to gym or anything just do a bit of gardening, wash the car etc. We also believe that you should eat what you are craving within moderation as this is just your body telling you what it needs. If you crave something sweet you probably need sugar. Another thing we do is to eat dinner early around 6pm so that we have at least a couple of hours of activity before sleeping. The worst thing is to eat a meal then sleep. The traditional british way of eating with a breakfast, large lunch and small afternoon tea is the best but in todays world this is hard to do so just eat supper as early as possible and if you get hungry later have a healthy snak or fruit

Eat breakfast like 'n king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. (If I can just DO IT! :( )

The Aussies have several meals a day: breakfast, morning tea (which is actually a small meal - not only something to drink), lunch, afternoon tea (another small meal), dinner and then supper (a small snack). If you invite someone for tea, they expect something to eat!

Eat breakfast like 'n king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. (If I can just DO IT! :( )

The Aussies have several meals a day: breakfast, morning tea (which is actually a small meal - not only something to drink), lunch, afternoon tea (another small meal), dinner and then supper (a small snack). If you invite someone for tea, they expect something to eat!

OK so for a guy I am not so bad I do know what I am talking about.

Good to know that our family already eat like the Aussies although everyone else stops at dinner but my supper is normally a couple of sarmies at 1 in the morning about an hour before I fall asleep infront of my screen and breakfast is at 6 when I wake up to go to the office. One downfall with an internet business that has clients in all different time zones who dont realise that they need things done when I should be fast asleep.

A friend of mine use to say the best way to loose weight is by diet en excersise. Heard it before ? Try this version. You dish up a modest potrion ( say half your normal helping ) an eat it slowly ( diet section ). When you are done and you are offered or feel like another portion, you shake you head vigosously from side to side gesturing "no" and leave the table. That takes care of the excersise part of the diet.

He swears by it, others swear at him ;)

Sorry Dedrei, I know it does not help your cause much :(:)

• 2 months later...
Guest colton

My hubby and I lived in Europe for a while and the French and the Italians sure know how to eat. There are hardly any fat people in those two countries, especially in France, those that are are tourists. The reason, they know how to enjoy food. In both countries the locals have a coffee and croissant for breakfast, lunch is a HUGE 3 or 4 course meal and dinner is a small yoghurt and maybe a sandwich. They don't deny themselves anything and eat lots of pasta, pastries and deserts. All in moderation of course and at lunch time only. They don't snack inbetween, you hardly see any locals walking with food in their hands or mouth.

The biggest thing I noticed was that they don't sell candy like we are used to. The supermarkets have no candy aisles and maybe you will find a bag or two of sweets somewhere but you really have to look. Chocs are a desert and are eaten as such. Maybe that's why we have a weight problem I think, too much sweeties. Definitely my problem, I'm a chocoholic and the liquorice jelly beans in australia are my downfall, I could eat kilos at one sitting! :stretcher:

I often think about the perfect diet but I think the French and Italians have it down to a fine art. Eat at the right time and deny yourself nothing.

Oh and by the way, they WALK just about everywhere. There are no exercise classes or gymns they do normal things like brisk walking. This may not be the oz diet you are looking for but I think we would all benefit from this lifestyle. Good luck :ilikeit:

Anybody been on a very good diet in Oz they can recommend? I really need to lose some kilo's :blink:

I've seen Weight Watchers & Jenny Craig on the internet. :huh:

Thanks

Hey there, Dedrei

We recently did an article on some popular international diets over here in SA (Greek Doctor's diet, Patrick Holford's GL diet, Weigh-Less and the South Beach diet - all available as books). We asked four 'test-drivers' to try them and let us know what they thought.

The common findings: every diet changed what you ate (I guess that makes you think more about what you're eating!) and EVERY dieter lost about 3kg or so in the two weeks they followed their diet. Except for Weigh-Less, the other three are all low-carb (ja, less bread, pasta, starchy veggies like potatoes...) and higher in protein (which keeps you full).

We asked a dietitian for her comments and her view is that ANY diet will work, if it makes you eat a bit less. Eat more veggies for the vitamins and minerals. If you cut down on the bread and pasta and sugar, you'll have fewer cravings, which might make it easier to stick to. Exercise helps you burn more fat plus, as I can testify, once you know how hard you have to work out to burn off a treat, it loses some of its appeal :)

Apparently there is an Australian diet (the CSIRO diet) that's causing waves overseas (even in SA!) because they are advocating the high protein, lower carb mix. You might find it a good option, because the authors probably suggest ingredients that are available in Aus - not always the case with other international diets.

Best of luck!

Abby

• 2 months later...

Hi there

I dont know if this will help, but....

Researchers have put the most popular diets to the test and found what they say is the safest and surest way to lose weight.

http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=29361

Kick-Start: stage one

While health experts offer an endless array of weight-loss methods, these plans often take time and, being impatient, we lose hope. Now a new short-term eating plan may help people who are overweight to kick-start their weight loss.

Below you will find the recipe and seven-day eating plan for stage one of the Kick-Start Soup Diet. At the bottom of the page you will find links to the complete Kick-Start plan.

*The information in this fact file was updated on August 4, 2003.

The Kick-Start Soup Diet recipe

(Makes enough for one person for two days.)

INGREDIENTS

• 3 tomatoes

• 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes

• 2 cans of liquid stock (beef, chicken or vegetable)

• 2 cups of water

• 1 packet of vegetable or French onion dry soup powder

• 1 bunch spring onions

• 1 bunch of celery, including leaves

• 2 cups of green beans

• 3 green capsicums

• 1kg carrots

• 2 stock cubes (chicken, beef or vegie)

METHOD

1. Chop all the vegies into small pieces and put them

in a big pot with the remaining ingredients.

2. Add salt and pepper (not too much salt).

3. Boil rapidly for two minutes and simmer until it's

nice and tender.

4. If you want it thinner, add a bit more water.

Have as much of the soup as you want, whenever you want.

Seven-day eating plan

The quantities recommended are per day.

Avoid toast and cereal for breakfast while on this plan. Stick with the recommended foods for each day.

You should only follow this seven-day eating plan for a maximum of three times in six months.

•DAY 1. SOUP AND FRUIT: Eat any fruit except bananas because they are high in kilojoules. Eat as much as you want. If you don't want soup for breakfast have a fruit salad instead.

•DAY 2. SOUP AND VEGIES, NO FRUIT: Eat as much fresh, raw or lightly steamed vegies as you like. Leafy greens are great but avoid peas, corn and beans as they are high in sugar. Reward yourself at night with a jacket potato, a little butter or better still, some yoghurt.

•DAY 3. SOUP, VEGIES AND FRUIT: Eat all you want but no potatoes.

•DAY 4. SOUP AND BANANA SMOOTHIES: Make a banana smoothie with low-fat or skim milk - it's a great source of potassium. Have a maximum of three large bananas per day.

•DAY 5. SOUP, BEEF AND TOMATOES: Eat a piece of lean beef or a skinless breast of chicken no bigger than a deck of cards with six luscious tomatoes. Vegetarians can substitute tofu. These quantities are per day. You can go easy on the soup today.

•DAY 6. SOUP, BEEF AND VEGIES: Eat plenty of beef (or skinless chicken or fish) and vegies today. Again, vegetarians can substitute tofu. You mightn't need soup as much but your body will tell you. No potatoes.

•DAY 7. SOUP, BROWN RICE, VEGIES AND FRUIT JUICE: You might need more soup today.

Remember: do not eat any bread, fried foods or oil on the seven-day plan.

Drinks

•While on the plan, do not have any soft drinks or alcohol.

•You can drink unsweetened fruit juice or cranberry juice; black, green or herbal tea (you can have skim milk with black tea); coffee; skim milk and plenty of water - six to eight glasses a day.

Side effects

•Because you're not consuming many carbohydrates, some may find the glucose in their bloodstream becomes too low, causing hypoglycaemia.

•This can cause a range of symptoms, such as headache, sweatiness, anxiety, irritability and drowsiness.

•Don't worry, it might sound awful but it's easily fixed.

•Have a sandwich with whole-grain bread, a slice of low-fat cheese and a bit of ham but no butter or margarine. Vegetarians can try a low-fat cheese and tomato sandwich. But only have a maximum of one sandwich per day.

•If these symptoms occur repeatedly consult your doctor.

Stage two

So what happens if you haven't cheated?

By the end of the seven days you may have lost as much as 4-6kg, if you haven't put on those walking shoes and gone for a daily walk you won't have lost as much.

If you lose more than 6kg on stage one do not attempt this stage again for a few months. Go on to stage two.

You should only follow this seven-day eating plan for a maximum of three times in six months. Once you've reached this maximum take six months off the plan and follow the low-GI program.

Once you've completed the seven-day eating plan it is time to move on to stage two - a long-term, low-GI eating plan.

Before starting any new eating plan you should consult your doctor to see if it is right for you, particularly if you are taking any medication.

Hi

I dont know about the 'Kick Start' part of this diet, but I can vouch for the low GI diet. I am insulin resistant, and so is my sister. I went from a size 30 to a size 34, my sister from a size 32 to a 38. When I was diagnosed I went onto the low GI diet, and I am now a size 31. My sister is now a 36, but she only started a month ago. I followed the diet for 3 months, and now I just avoid the very high GI foods, and my weight is stable.

I hope this will help someone :holy:

Cheers,

N.

Dedrei,

Can't say much about other diets, but after returning from the UK (been there on a working holiday visa a couple of years ago) I really needed to loose weight. I joined Weight Watchers here in SA and lost almost 20kg in a years time.

My little girl is now 5 months old and I gainded a lot of weight during my pregnancy, (which I thought I would loose easely.... yeah right) and I'm thinking the only why I'm going to loose these extra kilo's are by rejoining Weight Watchers.

Weight Watchers isn't a quick fix, but it realy works.

Sulona

• 8 months later...

Hi Dedrei

I know that you have posted this mail almost a year back, and thought it would be great to see which advice you have actually followed in the end. I am a Dietitian and we are moving to Australia now the 10th of May. We are going to live in Hervey Bay, QLD and hopefully if all goes well as soon as I have my Dietetic Registration will practise as a Dietitian again. I thought it was very interesting to see what advice people give each other. I will be very happy to provide you with information if you want it, or let me rather say, still need it. I have worked in the UK now for 2 years especially in Diabetes and have seen that a lot of people just eat too much!! People don't know what is a portion size, and to be honest don't realise what is in their food. Here a lot of people go for ready made meals, junk food etc. don't know what is the situation in Oz, but this is their biggest problem. With the rise in obesity globally I think it is important that people look after themselves, unfortunately it is not that easy, because it all depends on your metabolism and build how fast or slow you will loose weight. Well, as said just thought to provide you with my input, will be happy to assist!

Greetings

Karin Lategan

Hi Karen,

will be happy to assist!

Jinne, maar is dit nou lekker om te weet dat ons nou ons eie professionele Dieetkundige hier op die forum het ;) . Ek is so dankbaar :D . Ek het 'n vriendin in London wat ook 'n Dieetkundige is, maar kry omtrent nooit iets uit haar uit nie, want sy is so erg besig met haar werk by die hospitaal...

Ietsie wat ek by jou wil hoor wat so bietjie :ilikeit: is, maar wil graag weet... :D Bevat wheat free produkte gluten? Die Original Pronutro bokse se dat dit wheat free is, maar beteken dit dat dit gluten free ook is.

Ek is definitief baie sensitief vir wheat en gluten, en probeer huidiglik hard om dit te vermy.

Ek hoop jy sal my kan help... :P

Groete en lekker naweek :D ,

Pippa! X

...a lot of people just eat too much!! People don't know what is a portion size, and to be honest don't realise what is in their food.

I'm no dietician, but this is so true. In my mind, diet programs like Weight Watchers etc. is a load of bull and just a temporary solution. Just like those Abs-machines that Verimark sells! To lose weight or not get fat, all that really has to happen is this:

Burn more energy than you consume.

Less in + more out = weight loss

To achieve this, you should:

- regularly exercise

- eat 6 fist-size portions evenly spaced throughout the day and not 3 large meals

- make sure you have a balanced diet of fruit, vegetables and meat (beef, chicken, fish)

- Eat flax oil (keep in fridge), available at health shops

- breakfast is important!

- drink at least 1.5 litres of water throughout the day

- sugar is unnecessary, there is enough in fruit

Exercise at least 3 times per week for at least 30 min. at a time, it's good for you! I know many people just do not like exercise or going to the gym, but once you achieve a certain level of fitness, you will start to enjoy it (maybe become a little addicted even :ilikeit:...)

Building a little muscle is great for fat burning, you burn more fat through weight training than through cardio exercises like aerobics or spinning. You don't have to be a bodybuilder, just do some resistance training with weights. Your muscles actually continue to burn energy for a good few hours after you have left the gym. Not so for cardio exercises, but you also need to do cardio for the blood circulation and keeping your heart fit. If you find the gym intimidating, get a personal trainer to give you advice until you feel comfortable, or buy a few loose weights which you can use at home. For those who feel at home in the gym's weights section, your best 3 power exercises are bench press (chest), squats (legs) and deadlift (lower back). They exercise large muscles and really burn a lot of energy. Preferably use free weights / barbells instead of machines, as your stabilizer muscles get more exercise when you use free weights / barbells. Your leg muscles (thighs and hamstrings) are among the largest, so do not neglect your legs!

Ladies - I'm sure most guys in the weights section come across as aggressive and macho, but if you ask any one of them how to do a certain exercise, they will be more than willing to help. Just give it a try and you'll see how the beast :ilikeit: changes into a lamb :ilikeit: .

Lastly, breakfast does not mean tea and a biscuit, neither bacon and eggs. Think HEALTHY... muesli, yogurt, fruit, juice. But once a week (Saturday or Sunday) you are allowed to "cheat" and eat anything you want.

Cheers

Charl

In my mind, diet programs like Weight Watchers etc. is a load of bull and just a temporary solution.

Agree completely with that Charl. I am unfortunately living proof :wub:

Both hubby and I have loads of weight to loose and have over the years tried many different diets with not much success at all. After every diet (which we could only stick to for a month or two we would pile the kilos back on plus some more)

Since mid January both hubby and I have lost just over 15kg each and we are both still loosing (with loads to go :ilikeit: ).

It has been slow but all we have done is monitored our intake and at the same time cut out most of the sugar and fat intake. We eat all types of food and eat at least 3 regular meals a day.

On the weekend we allocate one day when we can have a meal out and we don't restrict ourselves on that day (eg. if we want cheesecake we have it :ilikeit: )

I also agree that exercise makes a big difference. The weight loss definitely increases when we do it :whome: (not very often though - haven't got rid of the bad habits yet).

PS - to bulk up our main meal everyday I make a large pot of soup (cabbage, carrots, pumpkin, stock cubes & chili) at the beginning of the week. Each bowl of soup is only about 70 calories, fills you up and tastes real good :ilikeit:

We have a fair way to go yet but hopefully this time it will stay off for good :)

Guest wilna

Hi Almal

Drie jaar terug het ek en my man begin fietsry, na 'n paar weke het ons besef net fietsry gaan ons nie laat gewig verloor nie. :(

Ons het toe net ons brood, rys, aartappels, pasta, suiker ens. gelos. In plaas van 'vleis, aartappels en rys' het ons 'vleis, slaai en groente' begin eet. Baie gesonder en my man het binne 5 maande 22kg verloor en ek 12kg. :)

Dit is 3 jaar later en behalwe vir die 1 of 2 kg in vakansies het ons nie weer die gewig opgetel nie.

Ek stem 100% saam Charl, ek se altyd - ek oefen sodat ek kan eet! :ilikeit:

Groete Wilna

Edited by wilna

Hi Dedrei,

I am a fan of doing the occational detox as means of loosing weight, getting rid of that 'off' feeling and improving general heath.

I did dr. Sandra Cabot's Liver detox diet a few months ago and had good results. I don't know what nationality she is but her book 'The liver cleansing diet' is within the top 5 most popular health books at Angus and Robertson. You may want to consider it. The diet is only for a brief time and it gives your body the nutrition it needs to get rid of accumilated junk and heal so you can get right back to good health.

My personal favourite advice is drink minimum 2 liters water a day between meals, 1 cup every half an hour to an hour. If you drink a lot of water at once it just goes out but if you take it in small amounts regularly, it goes to work cleaning out your body more efficiently. Regular flaxseed oil, organic fruit and veg, filtered water, etc also helps.

Lastly, I also find that making my own sauerkraut (lacto fermented vegetables) also helps me shed kilos. Eating a little sauerkraut with meals aids in the digestion of the other food and easier assimilation into the body instead of starches being converted into fat. It's also super nutricious. Google it, I am sure you'll find lots of proof.

Cheers, Sunflower

Edited by ~Sunflower~

• 3 months later...

(Makes enough for one person for two days.)

INGREDIENTS

• 3 tomatoes

• 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes

• 2 cans of liquid stock (beef, chicken or vegetable)

• 2 cups of water

• 1 packet of vegetable or French onion dry soup powder

• 1 bunch spring onions

• 1 bunch of celery, including leaves

• 2 cups of green beans

• 3 green capsicums

• 1kg carrots

• 2 stock cubes (chicken, beef or vegie)

Hallo Sonia

Can you tell me what is green capsicums? :ilikeit: Can we get it here in South Africa?

Helena

hi dedrei

het jy al gehoor van herballife dit werk soos n bom en gee jou somer weer lekker energie ook...

Hi almal,

Ek sien hierdie topic bly besig. Ek wil ook net se dat ek geneig is om saam met Springbok te stem.

Ek gaan Weight Watchers toe en dink nie dit help veel nie. Alles wat hulle daar bespreek is algemene kennis. Ons weet almal van portion control en minder eet. Miskien is dit vir die groeps ondersteuning dat die mense soontoe gaan, maar ek vind dat dit meer in 'n social gathering ontaard. Mense sit oral in groepies rond en gesels oor alles en nog wat behalwe gewigs verlies.

Gisteraand was daar soveel mense wat in 'n ry gestaan het om geweeg te word dat daar skaars tyd was vir die eintlike meeting. En dan gesels sy ook maar net oor dinge wat ons weet.

Ek dink regtig die ding le net by wilskrag om minder te eet en te oefen. Nie dat ek luister na my eie raad nie.

'n Rukkie terug was ek by 'n dokter in S.A en hy kry toe 'n oproep van een van sy pasiente. Na hy 'n rukkie geluister het na haar sien ek hy vervies hom. Hy se toe vir haar "Nonsens mevrou, jy eet te veel. Het jy enige vet mense in die konsentrasie kampe gesien? Eet net minder!"

Bly net weg van vette, stysel, gaskoeldranke en sweets. Daar is gewoonlik een betaalpunt by die meeste supermarkte wat GEEN lekkernye uitstal by die kas register nie. Sodat daar geen versoeking is om op die laaste oomblik iets soets te koop nie.

By WW het ek gisteraand betaal net om geweeg te word deur 'n suur man wat my met 'n frons aan gekyk het omdat ek so min verloor het! Het nie gebly vir die meeting daarna nie, dit was koud, die saal was koud en die leiers nog kouer. Nee wat, $15 net om geweeg te word!

Dis net selfbeheersing waarmee ek sukkel maar ek is seker dat hier oor as genoeg ondersteuning op die forum is. Kyk net hoe het almal my moed ingepraat toe ek opgehou rook het. :ilikeit:

Groete.

capsicums is Green peppers.

post-1909-1188343924.jpg

En rooies en geles..... :blush: In Engeland is hulle ....bell peppers.

Edited by Kannidood

het julle die program "the biggest loser" in Australia???

Daar is mense wat 400 pounds weeg op daardie program!

15 kg klink bietjie minder om te verloor!!