Right from the beginning

Tazzn

So here we are a little over 2 months from our date of arrival. It feels so much longer but I think that is purely because of everything that has happened in a short space of time. So where are we:

We have found a house to rent

Furniture arrived this week ??yay!

I am just shy of 2 months at work and enjoying it

Hubby started his new job today??

Daughter is in day care and getting better (we've had some behaviour issues since starting daycare and not being home with dad but it's better. Still tears at morning drop off but no mind blowing temper tantrums like we were having)

Pretty much getting back to life as we knew it back in RSA but just with no load shedding!!!

All the necessary change overs have been done without too much hiccup besides getting Mila's immunisations recognised - but I think west have tried a dud Dr first time round. Hoping round 2 is better. Also my drivers license is proving tricky! I didn't get a new passport before leaving and hence I have a passport in maiden name and a drivers license in my married name and so now having some issues with them not wanting to convert it ??? anyone else have this problem???

I am going to try another branch of Vic roads next week in the hopes that I will get a sympathetic assistant!

Other than that all is going well. I still miss my family an aweful lot but sometimes with great promise comes great sacrifice!

Really looking forward to meeting some folk at the Melbourne get together next week !!!

So here we are a little over 2 months from our date of arrival. It feels so much longer but I think that is purely because of everything that has happened in a short space of time. So where are we:

We have found a house to rent

Furniture arrived this week ??yay!

I am just shy of 2 months at work and enjoying it

Hubby started his new job today??

Daughter is in day care and getting better (we've had some behaviour issues since starting daycare and not being home with dad but it's better. Still tears at morning drop off but no mind blowing temper tantrums like we were having)

Pretty much getting back to life as we knew it back in RSA but just with no load shedding!!!

All the necessary change overs have been done without too much hiccup besides getting Mila's immunisations recognised - but I think west have tried a dud Dr first time round. Hoping round 2 is better. Also my drivers license is proving tricky! I didn't get a new passport before leaving and hence I have a passport in maiden name and a drivers license in my married name and so now having some issues with them not wanting to convert it ??? anyone else have this problem???

I am going to try another branch of Vic roads next week in the hopes that I will get a sympathetic assistant!

Other than that all is going well. I still miss my family an aweful lot but sometimes with great promise comes great sacrifice!

Really looking forward to meeting some folk at the Melbourne get together next week !!!

No wonder it feels so much longer....you are doing (writing) everything twice :oops:

Glad everything work out well for you!

• 3 months later...

It's been a LONG time since I've been on the forum. Partly due to just being busy and the other half being in an open plan office so no more sneaky logons while at work ;)

I can't believe we are just short of a week till we celebrate our 6th month Ausaversary!!!!! This time last year we had just paid for our VISA and were waiting on tenterhooks for the results. Wow where has the time gone. I'd say we've got ourselves into our new lives here except for my damn license!!! After a few visits to VIC roads and a visit to births deaths and marriages I officially can't get a license without a new passport. New passport ordered but the clock is ticking on the 6 month straight swop... eeeekkk!!!!!!

Life wise both hubby and I have settled into our new jobs and though I was really battling with working hours (plus commute time) I have been able to negotiate shorter hours so I can get to fetch my daughter from kinder by 5pm which has made a HUGE difference to our evenings. 6pm pick up was just leading to hungry, over tired child and exhausted mom!!! I really have been blessed with a hugely understanding manager and company so am so lucky in that regard.

Now that the dust has settled around the move and we are here and functioning ;) our next step is deciding where we want to be. Do we settle in Melbourne and make it our "forever" (at least next 10/15yrs) home or do we move on? We LOVE the cultural side of Melbourne especially the food culture :) but have found the weather tough to deal with. The winter almost broke me and though the Spring has been good I am dying for a good Durban summers day... who thought I would miss heat and humidity quite so much. If we do stay in Melbourne then its to decide where we want to live and start house hunting. Both hubby and I are trying to cross our need for space and "country side" with commute time!

So we are here and we are settled but what is it really like. I have lists on both the pros and cons side but too be honest no deal breakers for Aus while the RSA deal breakers are still there (economy..does RSA still have one????)

I'll start with the cons: I have missed some weird stuff here - like I said humidity, who would have thought? Boerewors and biltong of course :) Ribs - we love smoked ribs but I can't seem to find any here. Bacon is not quite the same. Woolworths!!! RSA woolworths is still the king of convenience and I miss their pre-chopped and package veggies especially! Medicines - a lot of the medications I am used to getting hold of are only available on script and it sounds like from next year it'll be worse! Dr's so far we've really only needed GP's but have been through about 5 to get one that is half decent. So those are the small things I miss them but I can live with it. Biggest con is missing family and friends. I knew this would be hard and some days are worse than others but this is by far the hardest part!

Pros - Well have to say safety! The feeling or lack of feeling of panic when a noise wakes you up in the night. In RSA if something woke me I'd lay awake for ages listening intently to decipher what the noise was, was it an intruder, if it was what should I do... Now it's 5 minutes to check it wasn't my daughter calling and its back to sleep. Bliss! Variety I love all the different 'things" that are available here, from children's toys, gadgets, food stuffs. Just so much choice!

All in all are we happy here? Yes, mostly. Despite the cost of living we are actually better off than we were in RSA and despite missing my family and friends we are happy with our choice.

• Like 6

Thanks for taking the time to share this. :)