Right from the beginning

Tazzn

Isn't in amazing how life changes in a month. This time last month we didn't have a VISA, didn't know what state we were going to and when we would be able to go. Today I feel like I am sitting in a room full of doors. each one is open and awaiting me to walk through and take hold of the opportunity waiting beyond.

I am overwhelmed with excited for the opportunity, with gratitude towards people I haven't met offering to help me and my family and with a strange sense of peace that this was all meant to be.

Yesterday I got an amazing job offer with settling in assistance so we don't have to stress about rent etc.. when we first arrive, we have a firm idea of when we are leaving and know exactly when we are going.

The stars have aligned and I am so ready for our new adventure!

• Like 4

Wonderful Tazzn. From what I've read you have a unique skill set so thrilled for you that you have found a good offer before moving. Where will you be heading?

Edited by Crisplet

• 2 weeks later...

So today is the next bog step for us.... moving out! Our house is sold (though we are still waiting for transfer to go through) and the time as come to move out. We have spent weeks sorting, cleaning and throwing out! Now today is D day.

Cargopak has arrived... hubby is in charge of the move while I am at work and I hope it all goes smoothly! We will be camping out at home for the next few days doing the final sorting of items that need donating/selling/relocating to family and then we will spend 2 months as house guests with my parents.

The ball is most definitely rolling now and the count down has began in earnest! Less than 100 days till we arrive on ozzie soil. After a year of preparation I can't believe that the date is just around the corner!!!

Onwards and upwards a new adventure awaits!!!!!

• Like 4

Loved reading this. Brought back a few memories!

All the best with the move and the job and your new life in Aus!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Things are all falling into place, less than 45 days to go until we touch down in Melbourne........ the excitement is tangible!!!!!!!!!

Life is being wrapped up and though cancelling and closing contracts and accounts has been nothing short of extremely frustrating it's all helped cement our decision about moving!

Accommodation for the first 4 weeks is being booked today:) My new company has found us a lovely furnished apartment in middle park. An expensive area so doubt we will be settling there but a really lovely place to start our journey!

The count down has began and I can't wait for the journey to begin!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe how quickly time is going. Tomorrow is my last day at work. Beyond excited about the adventure of a new job but sad to say good bye to familiarity of my current job and the people around me.

Lots of farewell's planned for this weekend with the extended family and friends. Then some get away time with my parents before D day...... the clock is ticking!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Been on a bit of a technology shut Down. After a few hectic days of final birthday parties and farewell get togethers we were off on a weeks holiday in Kruger. I am so happy that we decided to do that final trip other than being just a general awesome good bye to the African bush it helped put a lot of things into perspective.

Now back in reality we have sent the last of our stuff to the container.. Sold our last car and are left packing our final earthly possessions into bags. 3 more sleeps and our big adventure begins. Can't believe the time is finally here. My head is spinning with all the different emotions but most of all I just want to get there and start living this dream.

• Like 1

Never thought that the last 24 hours would be so hard . Trying to put on a brave face but not how I am going to survive tomorrow's good byes

Hi Tazzn and Lisa.

Also from Durbs submitting skill assessments. Hubby Is writing IELTS in June, earliest date we could get.

Nice to meet you. ;)

I remember very clearly how overwhelming that last day was. It is okay to feel sad even devastated. ..It is no easy thing to leave behind everything for the unknown. But once you are through passport control and you have waved your last wave. .. force your eyes forward and allow yourself to feel excited about the adventure that is ahead of you. Nothing is ever achieved by looking backwards. .. Look forwards... And that will help you all the way Along. Huge hugs! !!

• Like 2

Thanks Bri. it was hard but my family were great and made it easier to cope with but this first week has been tough . Was feeling very overwhelmed and sad on Thursday but Friday dawned anew and I am feeling better about things now

So... A little update from our almost first week in Melbourne.

We have done our centerlink and medicare reg just waiting for medicare card.. Sorted out bank accounts.. Waiting for bank or medicare card so we can do our tax numbers..

Bought a little car that should be ready for collection next week. Hubby will convert licence next week.

Done a couple of tram trips around and I even did a solo trial run to the cbd. Work starts Monday.. Bit nervous but looking forward to getting us back into some normality..

Still trying to decide were to settle ourselve. This is definitely going to be the toughest job

All the best to you and family. Hope all the pieces will smoothly fall into place.

Second day of work done and . I have to say that we have been met by so many friendly and helpful people. The "car yard" guy that phoned up his mates to help us look for rentals . The man in bunnings who after chatting and helping us for ages apologised profusely when he couldn't help with day care Recommendations.

I am still finding things foreign and am missing home a lot but mainly because I just want the comfort of familiarity..

Biggest task on our list is finding permanent rental and The suburb choice is something we are really battling with.. Hope we will find our haven soonsoon!

I feel for you... Making up your mind or deciding where to settle in the unknown is not easy. I hope you find an area that suits you and your needs.

We are fortunate to have been on a couple of trips to Melbourne. And having some family and a group of friends there already, is a very 'soft landing'.

All the best at the new job and enjoy every day.

Thanks Neels. good luck for your last few weeks in SA. We will be seeing you soon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So last month this time we were patiently waiting for our first or three flights . We have gone through SO many emotions in this last month. The sadness of the good byes, the anticipation of the arrival and the absolute emotional drain that is that first week. There have been so many highs and lows and we can still see a few on the horizon! Finally pegged down a more permanent rental but our furnished rental ends a week before we can move to the other one so we have a week booked at a local caravan park in a cabin (Mara thanks for all your links on the Melbourne community page - today they were literally a life saver!)

Things are still up in the air and I feel oddly in limbo. Enjoying many things, missing a few things and lots of people , not quite "at home" but feel like it could be.

So all in all maybe not "love at first sight" and still many feelings for my first home but a solid feeling of "we can make this work"

Hopefully the next update will see us settled in our home with out own belongings :)

• Like 5