Australian pronunciation: some American ways of pronouncing things?

mistermoose

Having lived in Adelaide & Brisbane, there is quite a marked difference between the accents. Adelaide (and Melbourne) seem a bit more British English sounding where the Queenslanders seem a bit more American with the hard 'A' sounds. There are quite a few different phrases in use.

Weird one- People tell you about their boofy hair as if you should understand them perfectly, lol.

Reading back, I was probably a bit harsh, most of you were just poking fun, getting grumpy in my old age :)

I wanted to say something similar......................like who got out of the wrong side of the bed today......................but sometimes forget that although I know you on the forum, I don't really know you and you might take offence at something I think is gentle teasing........................grumpy old fart...........................................but then I also realised that I actually do believe that I say most things the right way and other people are wrong!............so I might reign myself in a little......................maybe don't read my post about spiders either.

I wanted to say something similar......................like who got out of the wrong side of the bed today......................but sometimes forget that although I know you on the forum, I don't really know you and you might take offence at something I think is gentle teasing........................grumpy old fart...........................................but then I also realised that I actually do believe that I say most things the right way and other people are wrong!............so I might reign myself in a little......................maybe don't read my post about spiders either.

Haha, it's ok, if you called me grumpy old fart, I wouldn't take offence.

Actually, maybe just grumpy fart, a bit less of the "old" please, I'm not THAT old :)

Haha, it's ok, if you called me grumpy old fart, I wouldn't take offence.

Actually, maybe just grumpy fart, a bit less of the "old" please, I'm not THAT old :)

Quite, you're much younger than me, so grumpy fart it is, or as I call my hubby "Mr Pessimism"....................he's a glass half empty kind of guy.................sucks the joy out of any occasion...................he says I'm the albatross on his back...............albatross are supposedly harbingers of bad luck...................aint love grand............lol.

• Like 1

my major irk is the way that grown and known are pronounced................growen and knowen,

For some reason I find this really cute :)

Edited to add: the other day I was with my friends (Perth locals) and we were talking about where to park - one option I said was to just park in the parkade. Which they found quite cool... apparently parkade isn't a thing here?

Cue much making fun of how I would pork my corr in the garawdj.

Edited by Donovan83

For some reason I find this really cute :)

I think it is because it reminds me of country Cornwall or Devon accents, where the emphasis is always on the last syllable of the word................I'll send my kids round, it'll soon grate on you............lol.................plus my daughter will laugh at your accent as she does mine. She says, "Mum, you sound like one of those people from Scot-Land (as if it is two separate words) and I reply, " That's because I am one of those people from Scotland", she also has a fit if I say hair rakkie, instead of hair laccie, and falls on the floor if I say flip-flop........................and asks me not to talk to the cats like they are people if her friends are around.....................so being the obedient parent I am, I increase all embarrassing behaviour.

• Like 2

I have to be 100% honest here and admit that I find the Australian accent intensely annoying and grating and it feels like my ears are being molested when I have to listen to it. There. I said it.

• Like 1

I have to be 100% honest here and admit that I find the Australian accent intensely annoying and grating and it feels like my ears are being molested when I have to listen to it. There. I said it.

LOL I have to agree. I've been listening to Aus radio stations online and just can't get around 'yeeeeizzz' (years) or 'heeeeeaaaahhhh' (here). Seems such a lazy, drawn out way of speaking. Small issue in the bigger scheme of things, but wondering how much it'll grate on me day after week after month after year. Or if you just get used to it?

LOL I have to agree. I've been listening to Aus radio stations online and just can't get around 'yeeeeizzz' (years) or 'heeeeeaaaahhhh' (here). Seems such a lazy, drawn out way of speaking. Small issue in the bigger scheme of things, but wondering how much it'll grate on me day after week after month after year. Or if you just get used to it?

I haven't got used to it, unfortunately. I got Foxtel instead.

she also has a fit if I say hair rakkie, instead of hair laccie, and falls on the floor if I say flip-flop........................

?????????

what is hair rakkie or hair laccie????

totally lost!

Eva

Of course my Afrikaans is terrible but " 'n hare rek ", and here it is a hair elastic, or "hair lackie".

I actually like the Australian accent, maybe because I had an Australian teacher in the UK, and my Uncle Davie would come and visit from Australia each year ( he was a ten pound pom in the 50's) and I also worked with a lovely Australian in the UK, " he always called us "the antipodeans", so I've grown up with it. I find it far less jarring than some South African accent's.....................sorry folks

LOL this is hilarious!

Hate to say it, but English in general is on a downward slide people.

If I have to listen to one more person say:

And then we done this and then we done that...

I may just break a pencil or something. Cause I'm mean like that.

Plus, the k on the end of ing is also a growing trend here, even the guy on Classic fm does that.

I'm not too fazed by the australianisms - YET anyway. For years I swore I'd rather go to canada, because I just couldn't stand the Aussie accent. Now the accent is the least of my worries ;)

Edited by McCabes

I had honestly never noticed the use of 'soared' instead of 'sawed' Today I was working in the home economics class and the teacher was going on about using a soaring motion when slicing bread. Like fingernails down a chalkboard! And then in the staff room someone said something else along the same lines. I wish I had never read this thread, once pointed out it now sticks out like a sore thumb!

And AndreaL, I doubt your Afrikaans is any worse than mine so no wonder I was lost.... LOL!

ask is another one of those where it could be more correct to use the weird pronunciation, as it comes from the Old English āxian :)

Not just Aussies - but someone up above is correct when s/he said that English in general is going down the tubes.

My favourite things to hate are

1) there is total destruction and the idiots on TV talk about the people / suburb / area being "decimated" - do they even know what decimated means?

2) So-and-so is a "flashpoint" in Kabul - WTF?! flashpoint is a temperature, not a place.

Canetoad, make it easy on yourself and just explain to them Africa is like Europe, many countries on one continent. They are cluey enough and know about the different countries in Europe, but I had to make that comparison to some people over the years in explaining the concept of African countries. Eish!!

Oh, yes

3) People being "devastated" when they discover something small, like they're not getting blueberries in their ice cream - Geez.

• Like 1

Oh, yes

3) People being "devastated" when they discover something small, like they're not getting blueberries in their ice cream - Geez.

I KNOW (stupid cow on MKR, right?!)

I am really enjoying this topic!

When we arrived we started watching "Better Homes and Gardens" (what a fantastic show!!) but I could not understand a word the cute carpenter guy was saying. I must admit my ear has adjusted and I understand everything just fine.

I also have an issuer with placing an r after a vowel sound like "raw ® egg". Seriously?! It annoys me MOST when they pronounce my name with an r at the end. Lize. NOT lee-zahr!!! And apparently I am incapable of pronouncing my own child's name "correctly". When I say "Jessie" most Aussies hear "J.C". And unfortunately our surname is rare and begins with a "heitch".

I recently completed a course in teaching English to foreigners and one of the most interesting parts was teaching informal pronunciation, like "going fe a walk". Foreigners need to know that "for" can be pronounced "fe", for example. I have to admit though that they will NOT be learning about the unnecessary r in my classes, though :whome:

Edited by OnYellowBrickRd
  • Like 2

LOL OYBR!!!

I wonder if the extra/overpronounced r (where previously it was maybe just implied - say "saw" slowly, there is a slight r there at the end) - is a new generation thing. My son, since learning to read, now overpronounces words with r in them, and it sounds quite odd, but in his case I can't "correct" him because he's only doing it with words that actually do have a r. :D

OBD - that was me, and I'm a she lol. All I can say re devastated is: 1st world problems???

I KNOW (stupid cow on MKR, right?!)

That's the one and she was devastated that she wasn't going to get a bone in her pie. ;) As McCabes says "First world problem".

Those two WA ones are sooooo over the top, they'll be in the competition until at least the semis. I was surprised to see the other WA lot drop out and they were at least as obnoxious as the pair left in.

I do find the Queensland guy a bit rich, but like the two boys from Victoria, I now laugh AT him.

Edited by OubaasDik

This is really a cool and cute thread. I love the different things different nations come up with.

The 'k' after some words is something I have come across in Greece as well. It was written in "beeg" letters on the pavement:

NO PARKINK

lol... :)

• Like 2

"MKR gives us people in WA a bad name :( I promise we're not all like that!"

Funny you should mention that Donovan. We're still relatively fresh off the boat and after watching a few episodes of MKR I actually mentioned to my wife that I'm not sure we picked the right state :)

• Like 1

"MKR gives us people in WA a bad name :( I promise we're not all like that!"

Funny you should mention that Donovan. We're still relatively fresh off the boat and after watching a few episodes of MKR I actually mentioned to my wife that I'm not sure we picked the right state :)

Donovan's right. I do admit that the producers seem to choose or portray WA people as the villains of the piece more than other people. Couple of years ago they had two italian aunties from WA who were absolutely hilarious - full of sayings, and geat cooks. So they were entertaining by being talented rather than by being bitchy.