Australians: the people, and the people who don't like them

mistermoose

Good thing I'm Englikaans then! Wrote a letter to my daughter's school a while ago and had to use Google Translate to translate from English to Afrikaans :whome:

From my experience here in SA you find English and Afrikaans snobs in large numbers. Maybe there are more Afrikaans snobs emigrating from SA to Aus than English ones? Perhaps English snobs (many with ancestral visas) prefer the UK over Aus. Who knows? At the end of the day it comes down to the good ol' South African "I am better than you" mentality, which is a load of :censored: and says more about that person than anyone else.

• Like 2

Ok so I googled 'Arrogant South Africans' and spent an unpleasant half hour reading about that.

Ok so I googled 'Arrogant South Africans' and spent an unpleasant half hour reading about that.

Just did the same google search, pretty sobering....

I think wrt the above comments - one cannot look at such google searches in isolation.

google "arrogant Australians" and see what comes up.

Then google "arrogant Italians" and see what comes up.

Then google "arrogant French"

the list goes on...I have come across my fair share of arrogant people in my life. They certainly included not only afrikaans, but english, british, australian, and chinese as well. I feel it's unfair to look at one group and attach a certain "trait" to them as a group. Not all are like that, thank goodness.

just saying...we are not all bad.. ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What a great read this has been! Love the humor and all the shared annoyance with ppl loving themselves too much...I think I'm just as annoyed by "all important" South Africans as the Aussies are?

We're just starting the application process but have been to NSW & Queensland 3 times and I honestly can't wait to be living among people who just get on with their own lives and let it be, no judgement or issues!! good to hear that when living there it is exactly like we experienced it when visiting!

We're just starting the application process but have been to NSW & Queensland 3 times and I honestly can't wait to be living among people who just get on with their own lives and let it be, no judgement or issues!! good to hear that when living there it is exactly like we experienced it when visiting!

Not my experience! ;) people are the same everywhere.

The only folk we know who has a spa are South Africans.

The wife and I got invited to join them one evening in the spa.

As an Aussie, I just downed my cold beer and hopped out after 10 minutes, towelling myself dry after.

I didn't know you had to get up to tricks in the spa later on.

I'm learning more and more about all of you lot . . . . . . . . . . .

• Like 1

Ooooh, what have I started with my little tale of the late night shenanigans of South Africans and their spa parties.

@Andrea, I have heard spas described as "human soup", won't be in one any time soon. :P

@Andrea, I have heard spas described as "human soup", won't be in one any time soon. :P

Ewwwwww Juju no man!

Hence the reason you'll never find me in one.

• Like 1

Hence the reason you'll never find me in one.

People do keep them clean, either with chlorine or some other sanitiser, I reckon a public swimming pool is a lot more "human soup".................ever been in one of those?........lol

• Like 1

Not on the 'spas' topic but regarding being liked or disliked as a Saffa or Aussie, at one of the rental properties I went to look at, when the agent lady heard I was South African said she would keep that fact from her boss if I applied for the place, because he didn't want any Saffas renting any of the properties on their books. She said they'd had some really bad experiences and it just takes one or two to get us all a bad name.

I guess, to be completely fair, if you're an Aussie looking at a tenant (or whoever else you have a bad experience with), you'd identify them the best way you know: South African/Irish/something else distinctive. But if it was an Aussie tenant, as a fellow Aussie you'd be able to identify them better, and maybe end up 'disliking' Qlders, or NSW people, or south-of-river people in Bne, or maybe some other characteristic like that.

Just like (for example) in RSA we can identify different accents and place people in subgroups as opposed to their just being a 'fellow-countryman'.

What do fellow forumites think of 2 teenage girls beating up a pensioner on the bus on the Gold Coast? There are plenty of these stories around. This is just today's one...

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/queensland/two-teenage-girls-have-been-caught-on-camera-allegedly-racially-abusing-and-assaulting-an-elderly-indigenous-man-on-a-bus/story-fnii5v6w-1226840203524

Sorry but I have to be the boring voice of reason, just letting you know that there are horrible people everywhere. The bogan element is strong ;) The good news is that the police have arrested the girls (I believe). There has been a lot of public disapproval.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

What do fellow forumites think of 2 teenage girls beating up a pensioner on the bus on the Gold Coast? There are plently of these stories around. This is just today's one...

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/queensland/two-teenage-girls-have-been-caught-on-camera-allegedly-racially-abusing-and-assaulting-an-elderly-indigenous-man-on-a-bus/story-fnii5v6w-1226840203524

Sorry but I have to be the boring voice of reason, just letting you know that there are horrible people everywhere. The bogan element is strong ;) The good news is that the police have arrested the girls (I believe). There has been a lot of public disapproval.

Interesting - earlier this morning the story said that the man did NOT self-identify as aboriginal or Torres Strait islander and now he's indigenous (according to the story). Bad as the story is, seems like someone is taking the opportunity to add another element.

BTW did anyone see the TV story about the Camilleri who borrowed money to pay his daughter's gambling debts?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/ex-railcorp-boss-joseph-camilleri-took-16m-in-loans-from-workers-icac-hears/story-e6frgczx-1226829408147#

Extracts from her phone calls to him were there as well - truly hair-raising - she sounds like a real piece of work.

An Australian friend of mine describes them as ugly, ugly, dirty moles.Apparently their names are Layni Cameron & Larna Watmough (according to FB sources) and they have been done for armed robbery..............held someone up at knifepoint............................urgh, would you want them anywhere near your sons?