Diesel Vs Petrol suv/bakkie running costs

KalahariHarry

@ Surferman,

Well we don't know when we arrive. We now have a CO, doing meds Tues morn and waiting on PCC's. So once our ACT 190 SS visa is granted we can start planning. Hopefully we can land in 3-4 months.

I Like the later Pajero though, def a diesel 3.2 and what is in RSA called the GLX (the plain version with cloth seats, it has rear diff lock), and lift it myself if i don't buy it that way.

The only real issue for me is running costs, I think I will get much better milage on the Paj than the 4.2D Cruiser, I should be able to pick up a decent one of either for about $25K. I Will take my sweeeet time looking for a nice low milage one as we then plan to keep it a while and use it to do our touring in the holidays.

But as you pointed out servicing can be more $$$ on the PAJ.

Trev

MMMM

• Like 1

Hi Trev,

Not so sure I agree on the mileage. The diffs should not be so much. I would go the Cruiser anyday over the Paj. I've had the GLX and GLS Pajeros in SA spec, with diff locks all round. Nice cars, but I only bought the petrol. (Fuel economy was never something I factored into my purchase decision process, power is though... :whome::ilikeit::ilikeit: )

Here they are the VRX and Exceed models respectively.

On our visa, just waiting for a frigging CO, all our doccos are done.

I can see you guys know your stuff. We just sold our 2004 21st Anniversary 3.8 litre V6 Pajero. My DH almost cried, we only got $15k for it. But the running costs & rego were ridiculous. Also we had to buy our 2 teenagers cars in the space of a year, so they are driving around themselves & we didn't need a 7 seater any more. The guy who bought it on the Sunny coast got a moeviese bargain (and a free Blue Bulls sticker, lol sorry Hansa).

Me, I drive a 2 litre Suzuki SX4 AWD with all the airbags & speakers & whatnot. No hassle over steep hills or anything, I love my car so much :)

Only problem is that it can't go to Straddie (well maybe but with my luck we will bog down in the sand & I'll be in trouble ;)

Bronwyn&co,

If you had the little Jimny...go for nice 16 or 17 inch tyres, you will be fine if you "air down" your tyres. I drove many a soft 4x4 and I will tell you direct your little car is awesome, but wont make the sand too well. Sorry!!!! The SX4 are awesome little cars and make driving in the wet a joke. I love 4x4s and almost exclusively drive them. if money were no object, here is what I would have in my driveway:

Audi S8 - absolutely peerless. Forget Bentley Mulsanne, Rolls etc

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

VW Touareg V10

Im so sorry to hear about the Paj...but I also had the same issue, bought for 38k, sold for 27k a year later. Eina! mine was a 2009...VRX full spec.

• Like 1

Surferman now you're talking. Your driveway wishlist sounds about perfect to me.

Our real driveway has a Holden Astra (21year old's) , a Hyundai Tucson (18 year old's), the SX4 (yours truly's) and a 1.6 Hyundai Accent brand new (lol DH said stuff it, if he can't have what he wants he'll be practical). Then we have a 16 year old with 35 hours in his logbook...

And the tinny on the trailer which DD tows with her Tuscon ?

So at the moment we are all about practicality.

Thinking about getting a used BMW tourer 1200 roadbike soon too, hehe.

But I am still in the dogbox for selling the Pajero....but eish every 5 minutes the tanks are empty and the letterbox wants rego money. You know?

Ps. I did see some awesome clips of SX4's on sand on Youtube, but we wouldn't chance it.

My driveway is a Treg and Passat, both 10 years old. Need to start looking at buying an older car for kids, they will need wheels in a few years. Dont feel bad about the Paj, they are absolute petrol pigs. Damn do I know the rego costs!

My driveway is a Treg and Passat, both 10 years old. Need to start looking at buying an older car for kids, they will need wheels in a few years. Dont feel bad about the Paj, they are absolute petrol pigs. Damn do I know the rego costs!

My minimum requirement for the kids' cars was dual airbags. Must say I'm not comfortable without at least that.

My reg in that regard is a little more... :king::ilikeit::ilikeit: Wont look unless there are 6-8...that said, it does push one into a certain $$ sector. boohoo!!! cant they make Porsches for 30K new!

• 6 months later...

@carguys,

Just arrived in the ACT, will buy a 4x4 later. Looking for a big, spacious and reliable car.

Budget 8-13K, can stretch is I need to but my feeling is buy, and upgrade when we earn dollars.

Options

Ford - Falcon/Mondeo

Toyota - Aurion/Camry

Opinions guys?

Trev

Yep, definitely safe with all of those choices.

Aurion/Camry might be a bit better on fuel and more reliable, being Toyota. Would also be cheaper to Insure because more hotheads tend to drive/crash/steal Falcons and the Toyotas are more of a fleet/company car.

Still, all of the above are reliable, cheap to fix and service. The Mondeo is good but not as popular, meaning possibly not as cheap to get parts.

Trev, go for the Aurion mate, best pick. Avoid the "Levinson" version, crap silly aero kit that looks crap and adds no value. If memory serves they push around 200kw so more than enough to get you booked for speeding.

As always haggle, and never buy any dealer add ons. If you want extras etc, shop around, then add these to the price when you go for the loan, if applicable. Avoid Falcon, hoon magnet and dead easy to steal.

When you are ready, come to me on the 4x4 stuff....happy to help. I'm almost ready to go for yet another Touareg or 200 Cruiser.

Hi Surferman,

After all your enthusiasm and positive feedback about the Touareg I went out and found me a 2008 V10. Man.. that thing as a monster off the mark. You just want to "gooi mielies"! Makes you feel 18 and foolish again. Not good for demerit points.. I absolutely LOVE IT. Keep this post rolling along, I love reading and talking about cars.

• Like 1

@SA Aussie...

Jou lucky Bliksem! :ilikeit:

Cheers

• Like 1

Not so funny though when vw Aus wants to charge $560 for a rear cup holder..! Luckily ebay sells same for $48!! Talk about stealing!

Here is referrals I can share to get the best work at a competitive price plus some cost savings on car parts as well.

1) For original vw car parts I order from www.jimellisvwparts.com/ These guys are a vw dealership in Atlanta and you can generally get orig vw parts from there after shipping at half the Aus price! Excellent service and fast delivery.

2) For a ex vw mechanic in Perth with all the original vw diagnostics equipment a very friendly chinese guy by the name of Paul (I know, go figure on the name). Really knows his stuff. Is mobile, comes to you north and south of the river and very reasonable prices. Tel: 0431 621 561

3) For an ex South African mechanic in the north that works on all makes of cars, we use Gerald. I take my Touareg and my X5 to him. Knows his stuff with keen pricing on services and repairs. He is one of those guys that will tell you what is critical and what can wait and does not take you for a ride (no pun intended). His business is called Snaptune just off Ocean Reef road. Tel: 94099661.

4) If you are fussy about wheel balancing and alignment, there is just one place to go go: Wheels world in Osborne park.

08 9242 8888 People take sports cars and race cars to these guys to set up! Just a team of 2. One balances and one aligns. Both experts at what they do.

5) For spray painting, panel beating, big or small dent repairs for a guy who still has pride in his work with good prices and is great at it call Niall on 9370 3770 in Dianella

There you have all my no. 01 suppliers in Perth that I found via referrals on the internet an in person. Have used them all and can personally confirm they are the best.

Edited by SA Aussie
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I Hope all is well. We have settled in a bit in the queens land.

Driving a Toyota Aurion for work so seeing as thats free (car,rego,insurance,fuel) I figured we can spend a bit more on a family car.

All things weighed up it looks like the best deal i have found is a 2012 Landcruiser Prado GLX 3.0 Diesel D4D with 50 000KM's on the clock $46,000, toyota is generally a bit more expensive but reliable and i trust this is a good choice. This engine also has great fuel economy, for the size of the car.

What do you guys think.

Trev

Hi Trev

I would imagine it depends what you want you do with it. That D4D engine is very good and with minor mods the Prado will let you explore all of Oz for years to come.

Just be mindfull that the max towing weight is only 2.5ton. And even less in an auto Hilux at only 2.25ton. That might sound enough, but if you are planning on getting a 4x4 caravan, then you can very easily be 'on the border' with you weight after you add additional water storage and fuel tanks for overlanding.

Edited by JDJoubert

Trev,

Even with the Toyota badge that is steep. I just sold my beloved Touareg and got me an Amarok 8 speed auto 4x4. Took it off the road yesterday and did some moderate sand driving. What an animal. To put the car under pressure I did not air down the tyres. I deliberately barfed it up one steep sandy hill to see what she would do. I reversed back took it at a bit of speed. Straight over the top, no dramas. Takes some getting used to with all the new traction aids, but damn they work. I say if the tyres are aired down and you keep the revs up, she is all but unstoppable. All that for less than the Prado's price. :jester: Stirring I know.

SA Aussie, super thanks for all the contacts matey!

I also find the Prado diesel to be asthmatic at times. I pulled off next to one this am and it took forever to get its skirts up and going. By the time he hit 2nd gear, I was in 4th, and doing 1200rpm and still pulling away from him like a freight train. Tech is worlds apart. That said I reckon the next Hilux will be really good. Toyota said their benchmark was the Amarok.

SA Aussie,

very nice buy mate! glad you went with the V10, its an animal. I decided to go the Amarok route, my son is 9 next year and will need a ride. It will be 7 years old then and still in good nick so I figured an Amarok not a Touareg for a 16yo. Don't know what I will get the girls when they hit 16, probably Touaregs or Cruisers.

there is a mod that takes your Treg from 230kW/750Nm to 275-280kW/1100Nm. Utterly addictive. Or as my one mate says, As addictive as crack, twice as expensive. Have you seen the Clubtouareg.com website? Very helpful information on your car, along with tips n tricks. Did yours come with the rear diff lock? If so, UNSTOPPABLE.

Sorry oaks went with

2013 Prado GLX (nov 2013) New facelift model

Leather and in dash entertainment system

16 000 kms

A better buy than the other one. Eish now to pay the bill!!! :-)

trev

Nice buy mate,

Should give you years of trouble free motoring. Did you get the diesel? I am shopping for upgrades to my Amarok, bullbar etc. I also wanna go from 245 to 275 tyres.

Hi Surfer, Diesel yes, 1700 - 2000 kms range on a tank, sweeeett!!

Also have to shop for bullbar TJM/ARB?

And towbar..... - it was a mommy's car and does not have one.

trev

Edited by KalahariHarry

• 2 weeks later...

Trev,

ARB is superior, always look for a fully welded bulbar, not one that is spot/part welded. For towbars you cant beat Hayman-Reese. Yes they are expensive, but bloody hell they are tough. Also, be careful when you tow here, in SA the ball weight is 50kg, so the trailer is very balanced. (REad the trailer weight is over its own wheels) Here they allow ball weights of 300kg, which is a MASSIVE difference in driving dynamics. So much so in fact that I don't load it up that much. If I cant lift the trailer hitch myself and place it on the ball, then I have not packed the trailer right.

If you guys want tips on that, just let me know. Trev I assume yours has the 180l fuel tank to get that kind of range yes? My Amarok still has the standard 80l fuel tank and that is more than enough for now. I may boost that up 120-140L. which should get me to similar mileage as you. I went for the original VW towbar which is a branded Hayman Reese. I'll also add 8mm steel bash plates underneath and have the ECU flashed to produce 150-160Kw and 550-650Nm. That's coming close to the LC 200, which is a 4.5l V8 twin turbo. The tech is amazing. What does take getting used to is the way the bi-turbo works vs a single turbo, vs parallel sequential turbo charging.

SA Aussie, you are driving the last of the legends mate!

Hi Surfer,

I Will take your advice, as I am in the auto industry I normally get 20% of any supplier, my guys can also fit and spray the bar coded to vehicle so that saves me some tom.

With Regard to the towbar, the Hayman Reese I think I can get for $750 ish ex fitment (my guys will fit). I Can get the toyota one (I Get awesome genuine toyota pricing) for around $600. If its worth the extra and I think it is, I will go hayman reese.

Mine has the 150Lt tank and if you drive very economically @ 9-10lts per 100km's that gives me a range of 1500+, we all know thats not the case combined with urban driving. Factory stats are the range I previously mentioned but in reality it does not seem like I will achieve that. Consumption is still VERY good for such a large vehicle so no complaints at all.

The d4d is a bit of a dog and if I have some money I'm keen on getting rid of I will consider a chip, as it will give me +20KW and 90Nm. I'm no speedfreak so I'm not bothered but it will be quicker off the line, will be sweet for sand-driving. All in all very happy with the prado, but it is big so I'm glad I only drive it on weekends :-) The week sees me cruising in the 3.5lt Aurion with 200KW.

Trev

Wow thats one sweet deal you got going there Trev! I would go HR on the towbar.. yeah, they bulldust the fuel figures big time. Ive NEVER gotten what they claimed. As far as your consumption is concerned, for a Prado thats amazing. I get you loud n clear on the urban driving. I get under 9 on the open road with the aircon full blast. In town, more like 10-11. Thats five up too.

So the little 2.0 diesel in the Amarok is amazing. 132Kw/420Nm is enough for now, but like you I would like a bit more, esp off the line. The Rok (Amarok) has classic diesel hesitation off the line so when I just got her I had a few white knuckle moments at the local roundabouts waiting for the two turbos to spool up. Granted its super quick, and once she is on boost dman she pulls like a freight train, but its those .2-.5 seconds before launch.....Knyp pappie! I have adapted my driving style to it though now.

As for over taking its a cinch but not the same as the Touareg (Treg) SA Aussies V10 will still cause the spare wheel to start spinning if he floors that monster at 100km/h! If only they could shoehorn that bad boy into the Rok.....Yummy!

In my view the D4D is the worst of all the diesels in terms of power, but that said they are super reliable and Toyota has a history of understressing their engines. San drivings number 1 trick is low tyre pressure. I used to drive my Golf with 155 tyres on the beach at St. Lucia, past all the Range Rovers and lag at them. The Golf was packed to the roof with beer and ice, Got bogged once in all that time, was katkop @2am, forgot to air down the tyres.

If you think the prado is big, the Rok is huge. My treg used to fit in the garage with plenty space, the Rok has about 40mm spare from the door, thats if I reverse in and let the towbar touch the wall! Its 150mm wider than the current Hilux!

KalahariHarry, bloody great choice of vehicle mate. Oh, by the way I also have one :D

The auto gear shifting is pretty lame though ..... I find myself rather driving in S mode just to give it that extra bit of oompff

I went from a 100 series cruiser to the Prado so I cannot relate to it being a 'big' car.

My 100 series was the 4.5L 6 Cyl petrol which made my eyes water with it's fuel consumption. The Prado's fuel efficiency is heaven ...... I get around 1100 ish km's

I will add all the nice extras one day when my ship comes in ....... until then, it is stock standard

btw: have you check-out 'pradopoint.com' ?

• Like 1