Help Please with Talented and Gifted and Extension Programs

WattFamilySydney

Hey Everyone,

I'm a bit nervous as we are set to go to Sydney in Jan 2014 with my eldest turning 12 in Feb, not great timing as this will be her last year of Primary in Aus whereas in SA she would have still had another year. So wished we had gone a couple of years ago to make the transition better in terms of settling before having to move to High School 1 year later. However she is a very bright and resilient girl and will bounce back long before mommy does!!

I love the oppertunity Aus Public Schools give to children, notwithstanding the Talented and Gifted Programs in the Public Schooling system - WOW!! How wonderful to have a government that wants to inspire every child to be the best that they can be in supporting them in their talented areas!!

We want to settle in St Ives and sent email enquiries to 2x of the public schools who offer these programs in the area. Not sure whether they respond quickly or not or whether it would be better to contact telephonically? We will ensure that we rent in the catchment area so hopefully that will gain them automatic entrance into the school?

PROBLEM: I would love for my eldest to join in the Gifted programs in both academics and in the performing arts categories. What procedures would the school follow seeing that she hadn't been tested before and missed this year's testing?

We have been very fortunate as the current SA school the girls attend, let the kids write the annual SIAT (ICAS) tests in English, Math and Science from gr 3. These tests are compiled and marked by the Uni of NSW and are tests the kids cannot study for. She did exceptionally well last year and received a medal of distinction for the top Gr4 student in Southern Africa for English, top 10% in Science and top 17% in Math. We are awaiting this years results - would these results together with her report cards and other achievements be enough to secure a place in the academic program?

The same goes for her drama and music capabilities - do the Eisteddfodd, Univerisity of JHB and Trinity awards/results have any bearing? How would they judge her talents?

I would appreciate any feedback and look forward to hearing your input!!

Many thanks - Heidi

I understand your concerns but I really wouldn't be putting too much pressure on her - she is going to have a lot to cope with anyway ! If however you get here, the schools interview her and they think she should be in the program then that is good.

We have family arriving early next year and I went to our local State school, they won't even enrol the kids until they get here and interview them so you may have the same issue. Remember everything is so laid back here and if you are living in the area your kid will get into the school. I think the timing is quite good for her, a year and then onto Senior.

The school in that area will be VERY used to kids from SA arrivng, they'll know what they have come from and what is best for them - trust in the school. Just relax, I know it's hard because it's your babies and you want the very best for them ! Good luck with it all !!!

• Like 1

Hey Stell!

Thank you so much for your feedback - I think the poor enrolment officers at the schools are going to faint when they see my email with my long list of questions, I even asked whether we could Skype the interview - perhaps a bit too Tiger Mother or should I say the SA-way of Lion Mother?

I just would love to get most of it done on this side as we fly the 8th of Jan and would have to sort accommodation and schools out before the new school year starts in Feb - not even sure whether the schools would be open for appointments and interviews in Jan?

I think the uncertainty that I cannot finalise schools and accommodation on this side is what's driving me up the wall - as you said I need to take a chill pill - now where can I get one of those.................

• Like 2

The schools won't be open so you will probably only be able to visit once school has started or the day before when the teachers will be there. And I really do recommend visiting the schools once they have openend in person with your children so you can make a decision together on what fits.

It will really not matter if they miss a few days or weeks even.

You need to relax a little, as Stell has said your daughter will have a lot to deal with. Let her settle in and make some friends, the school will have their own testing and it will be done on their time.

Also you might find that schools here are much more relaxed than those in South Africa. And you might find the extension programmes more laid back than what you are used to.

• Like 1

Hi there

Usually the teachers and office staff are back a few days, up to a week before term starts, so you can contact them then. Most schools have websites, so you can familiarise yourself with various schools through those......but you really have to visit schools to get a proper feeling for them............at this stage, and given the great upheaval you are all about to go through, I would be looking for a school that you get a welcoming and caring vibe from.

You will find that it is the school and teachers that will decide if your child would benefit from a Gifted and Talented (GAT) extension program. Usually this is through observation, although at the beginning of the year ( usually within the first month) children are given various reading and math tests to sort them out in reading groups etc, so it is highly unlikely that you can just ask for your child to be in an extension program.

Schools are very different here............less dog eat dog, and every child is recognised in some way or another ( I quickly realised that every child gets a student of the week certificate at some stage of the year)

My 8 year old is in an extension program for reading....3 times a week he and 4 other children go elsewhere for interpretive reading........it is done in a very quiet manner, so no one knows they are the GAT stream, they could just as well be the children who are struggling and are taken from the class for one on one tuition, such is the GAT program that it also includes underachievers and children with disabilities..............the aim is to get the best for all kids.

Here are some links that might interest. http://www.curriculumsupport.education.nsw.gov.au/policies/gats/

http://parenting.kidspot.com.au/is-your-child-gifted-and-talented/#.UnWkLxAauLs

http://nswagtc.org.au/information/gifted-education-policies.html

• Like 2

WattFamily - I think it is just so hard to get anyone here - teacher/school etc to acknowledge when kids are bright/gifted that parents tend to have to overcompensate and push really hard to get someone to pay attention and try help these kids reach their potential (it's not about the "ooo look what my kid can do" it's about "um, might someone be able to help my child reach the level they are capable of?"). I think our schools are still so geared to trying to get everyone to the same level that there's just no room for enrichment/extension programmes, and I can't really fault them for that - they're working on getting the foundations right and strong. BUT it makes it very difficult for people with gifted kids, to get the help/extension activities they need to build on their skills and stay challenged so they don't get bored and lose interest in school completely.

It seems that everything is the complete opposite in Aus, where they really want every child to succeed and make a lot of effort to help the strugglers and build on any strengths the kids may have. :)

I don't think you need to give this a second thought. I think focus on the move and the settling in and try not to worry about the schooling - it's top-notch, after all, especially compared to here :)

All the best with it.

Sibella, AndreaL and McCabes - Ladies, thank you for your generous and valuable feedback!!

I have always felt that if there was 1 thing that I would miss as much as my family in SA would be the support of fellow mothers, thank you for reaching out and being the support that I clearly need! Thank you to all the mothers contributing, your input is invaluable and the support you offer to other mothers out there is what keeps families together - my mommies in SA is the support which bridges the lack thereof from husbands, which due to work commitments cannot be there, we were literally the glue for one another's sanity!

Lion Mother is trying her best to calm down, think I would need to be tranquilised a couple more times but getting there.

It also helped that I got a reply from one of the schools, from the Principal nogal! So impressed with her patience and generosity in information supply - I just LOVE the schooling system in Aus.

Agree with McCabes, there is such desperate need in SA to address the bright kids who lose interest because attention is given to the kids who are struggling (which offcourse should happen!) and don't think private is going to address this. You as a parent need to fill that gap, the problem - I'm not the expert so who knows whether I am really fulfilling her needs - anyway, at least in Aus this will be addressed. It may just turn out that she or little sis aren't as gifted as I thought but we can only try and see.

Surely with all the Asian tiger mothers out there the Aussie schools should be used to overbearing mothers, and how do our kids fair against their talent - these kids are brilliant!! And typically Aussie efficiency I see that some schools even offer Mandarin to accommodate these kids- wow!! Poses yet another question: Would they ever consider offering Afrikaans?

Heidi I think there was a school or two in Aus who started to offer Afrikaans due to demand and high population of Saffers in the area, but that could be an urban legend ;)

I hear you - my eldest is supposedly ahead of the crowd here - but compare him to the overseas "norms" and he's either just average or maybe even behind. It leaves you wondering if you're delusional or if there really is something to it.

This might help you: http://talentigniter.com/ruf-estimates

I wanted to cry when we went to the parent's evening talk for grade R at the beginning of last year and the grade ER teacher made a joke about how they weren't going to be teaching the little ones their letters or start the grade Rs on reading because (the gist of what she said, not exact phrasing) they couldn't possibly be thought capable of that!! HAHAHA and all all the teacher's laughed. It depressed me and angered me - USA and UK start kids reading in Kindergarten (grade R), so why is this considered impossible here? Are our kids less able? I don't buy that.

And I'm not sure where that leaves the parents of kids who are past that level when they start school? there is just no place for these kids... I worry about how many fall through the cracks because they're bored to tears of the endless repetition of stuff they learnt years ago... :(

anyway... deep breath. Rant over.

The plus of it is that this is not at all the case in Aus. Most of my cousins are there and a few of them have been in the gifted programmes for various things - music, art or academics. It's great to see them getting the opportunity to shine :)

• Like 1

Hi WattFamily

I have no kids and know nothing about any Aussie schools, but perhaps getting into contact with Mensa may expand some opportunities for your gifted children.

There is also a popular butcher in St Ives

• Like 1

Gifted and talented usually means something quite different than MENSA. In any case there are few IQ tests that are accurate for smaller children and I believe MENSA only supports teens from 14 to 18.

Many schools use the PAT R tests to assign a reading level to each child from 1 to 28 or 30 (not quite sure) but if your child scores high in their PAT R they will most likely be identified for an extension program.http://www.acer.edu.au/tests/pat-reading

• Like 1

Heidi I think there was a school or two in Aus who started to offer Afrikaans due to demand and high population of Saffers in the area, but that could be an urban legend ;)

I hear you - my eldest is supposedly ahead of the crowd here - but compare him to the overseas "norms" and he's either just average or maybe even behind. It leaves you wondering if you're delusional or if there really is something to it.

This might help you: http://talentigniter.com/ruf-estimates

I wanted to cry when we went to the parent's evening talk for grade R at the beginning of last year and the grade ER teacher made a joke about how they weren't going to be teaching the little ones their letters or start the grade Rs on reading because (the gist of what she said, not exact phrasing) they couldn't possibly be thought capable of that!! HAHAHA and all all the teacher's laughed. It depressed me and angered me - USA and UK start kids reading in Kindergarten (grade R), so why is this considered impossible here? Are our kids less able? I don't buy that.

And I'm not sure where that leaves the parents of kids who are past that level when they start school? there is just no place for these kids... I worry about how many fall through the cracks because they're bored to tears of the endless repetition of stuff they learnt years ago... :(

anyway... deep breath. Rant over.

The plus of it is that this is not at all the case in Aus. Most of my cousins are there and a few of them have been in the gifted programmes for various things - music, art or academics. It's great to see them getting the opportunity to shine :)

McCabes - will try and find out and let everyone know. Thank you for the link, will get on it asap - difficult for a Lion Mother to accept your child is average, I'm of the opinion that hard work pays off and that you can work within your child's capabilities to bring the best out of them and offcourse would like a school that would actually support this.

It is a sad day when an educational institution makes a mockery out of equipping our children with knowledge - so what are they actually offering, a playgroup, nothing valuable about that?! I do not agree with their sarcastic take of what children can achieve and totally understand why you would be upset!!! We send our children to school to acquire skills otherwise we could just keep them at home, it seems everything is twisted around ie. school is to play and home is where you will be educated, it is ludicrous!! And yes, I think most of us would feel that given the oppertunity that our children get to mingle with overseas peers that they are not deemed the dunce in the bunch due to our schooling system, rather lack thereof.

My family lived in Germany when I was a little girl. In kindergarten we were taught to read, write in cursive, maths - the whole lot and when I started school in SA in gr1 they made me sit with the whole class starting from scratch due to age - what a bore!!! If the general capability exists (as shown by what they do overseas) why not equip these enquiring minds - what an unecessary waste!!!!

Like you said totally opposite outlook in Aus, how refreshing, inspirational and EXCITING to look forward to a country that actually respects all aspects of learning and believes in moulding the young!!

Keep positive and reinforce your work with your kids at home - I see the aus department of education has links to past exam papers and tips on how to improve, the goal post is to ensure that your kids are on the level you would like them to be, not what the teachers have in mind - thank God we as mother's together with our kids will make that decision.

I also have to add that the school my kids go to do the annual (usually written in Oct) SIAT - that's what they call it in SA, ICAS (Aus) exams in English, Science and Maths from grade3, it is put together by the Uni of NSW, sent to SA, written by the participating schools (parents pay for each exam) and sent back to NSW to be marked electronically. The results are then sent back to schools and parents with a report to see how your child performed - at least this gave us a benchmark.

Not sure where your kids go to school but it could possibly be interesting to investigate even if you could participate privately, once again not sure about that either!

Hi WattFamily

I have no kids and know nothing about any Aussie schools, but perhaps getting into contact with Mensa may expand some opportunities for your gifted children.

There is also a popular butcher in St Ives

Hey Jacques! Thank you for your input!! Would you know the name of the butcher and do they have any biltong? I'm afraid my hubby (thin as a rake) will lose half of his body weight if we cannot find some decent biltong as his addiction to Coke will have to come to an end as we most probably will only bearly be able to afford water!!

Totally off subject here, sorry :oops::offtopic: !!! Is the tap water of decent drinking quality, could I take my filter container and do they sell the filters there - would hate to know what the filters cost - alreay the price of a leg in SA? Also cost of 2l coke - poor hubby, must really love his family to give up so much.......

Gifted and talented usually means something quite different than MENSA. In any case there are few IQ tests that are accurate for smaller children and I believe MENSA only supports teens from 14 to 18.

Many schools use the PAT R tests to assign a reading level to each child from 1 to 28 or 30 (not quite sure) but if your child scores high in their PAT R they will most likely be identified for an extension program.http://www.acer.edu.au/tests/pat-reading

AndreaL-thanks, worth investigating as my eldest is not far from 14

Your link will be most helpful, thank you!!

Heidi - I think I was just irked that that was their impression when we had moved from a nursery school in the northern suburbs, where my son had learnt the letterland letter names by 3.5 (he knew 3 consistently at 2.5, so that was when the nursery started teaching the kids letterland) and had been well on course to start reading in their grade R, when we moved back closer to my hubby's family in the east - and met this attitude at the local school. It has a really good name, and now that he's been there for 2 years, I can see that they do try hard and they're doing the best they can with limited resources and the millions of hoops the government requires them to jump through, but the attitude just got up my nose. I KNEW it was VERY possible, and here they were laughing at the idea... :(

But yes, we do extra stuff at home - he does SEMAS (Japanese abacus math) and we read extra books on top of school readers :) He's aiming to have read 200 school readers by the end of the year :)

RE the biltong - a lot of saffers seem to take to making their own over there. :)

PS you will *know* if your child is extraordinary, plus you've had the external confirmation of the SIAT so I wouldn't put that down to being a lion mother ;)

Edited by McCabes
  • Like 1

Heidi - I think I was just irked that that was their impression when we had moved from a nursery school in the northern suburbs, where my son had learnt the letterland letter names by 3.5 (he knew 3 consistently at 2.5, so that was when the nursery started teaching the kids letterland) and had been well on course to start reading in their grade R, when we moved back closer to my hubby's family in the east - and met this attitude at the local school. It has a really good name, and now that he's been there for 2 years, I can see that they do try hard and they're doing the best they can with limited resources and the millions of hoops the government requires them to jump through, but the attitude just got up my nose. I KNEW it was VERY possible, and here they were laughing at the idea... :(

But yes, we do extra stuff at home - he does SEMAS (Japanese abacus math) and we read extra books on top of school readers :) He's aiming to have read 200 school readers by the end of the year :)

RE the biltong - a lot of saffers seem to take to making their own over there. :)

PS you will *know* if your child is extraordinary, plus you've had the external confirmation of the SIAT so I wouldn't put that down to being a lion mother ;)

Semas is great, as well as Kumon - 200 books would be a fantastic achievement! What you put in is what you get out!

Gosh, don't know whether I can stomach making my own biltong - just decided it will become hubby's new hobby!!!

Thanks MacCabes for the reassurance!

Heidi

It may surprise you that junk food is very cheap and available here, hubby's coke fix will easily be taken care of, it annoys me that slabs of chocolate are cheaper than fruit!

With regard to ICAS testing. A letter was sent home from school regarding the ICAS tests with the prices per subject, somewhere around $10 each maybe a few dollars more. I asked Adam what he would like to try and he said Spelling, English and Math, so I put him down for those.............I think around a dozen kids in the whole school of around 500 opted to do ICAS. He got HD for spelling, D for English and HD for Math, so did quite well.

With regard to how bright kids are, I wonder how much of the nature vs nurture principle applies.....I never taught my kids anything, only talked to them all the time from young and read to them at night until about age 7. In fact I am fairly certain that Adam taught himself to read by putting the subtitles on cartoon network and matching the words to the sounds..............so I can't take any credit, other than perhaps a few good genes for his curiosity about the world.

The only rule I have is that books are precious and I would buy a book before I bought a loaf of bread.

The water is fine here, although some people moan about the taste and prefer to use a filter or buy bottled.

Some tips...never buy the small bottles of coke (600ml etc) from a servo or corner shop or supermarket, they cost more than the 2 litre. At the moment Coles has four 1.25L bottles of coke for $7 ( I don't know what it costs there, but it is not a lot relative to earnings)

Plenty of butchers make biltong, you just have to suss that out when you arrive....and be prepared to pay $40 to $50 Kg.

WRT reading books, most schools take part in the "Premiers reading challenge" each year, at least in WA and QLD, kids must tick off what books they read and then they get a certificate from the Premier of the state.

I hope this answers some of your questions. :)

• Like 1

Andrea - it's so nice to read about how things are there... it just makes me want to BE there.

though... $40-$50 per kg biltong... I can see why people make their own!

My hubby's made a few times with kudu meat, was really good :)

I asked Adam's teacher about the GAT program today and she said that children are identified through their PAT reading and math tests..............so I would advise bringing any testing results, ICAS etc with you.

• Like 1

Talk about tiger moms/dads, this is pretty hardcore http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24624427

Hardcore indeed!!!

I asked Adam's teacher about the GAT program today and she said that children are identified through their PAT reading and math tests..............so I would advise bringing any testing results, ICAS etc with you.

What will I do without all your valuable advise and help AndreaL - thank you so much for this!

Heidi

It may surprise you that junk food is very cheap and available here, hubby's coke fix will easily be taken care of, it annoys me that slabs of chocolate are cheaper than fruit!

With regard to ICAS testing. A letter was sent home from school regarding the ICAS tests with the prices per subject, somewhere around $10 each maybe a few dollars more. I asked Adam what he would like to try and he said Spelling, English and Math, so I put him down for those.............I think around a dozen kids in the whole school of around 500 opted to do ICAS. He got HD for spelling, D for English and HD for Math, so did quite well.

With regard to how bright kids are, I wonder how much of the nature vs nurture principle applies.....I never taught my kids anything, only talked to them all the time from young and read to them at night until about age 7. In fact I am fairly certain that Adam taught himself to read by putting the subtitles on cartoon network and matching the words to the sounds..............so I can't take any credit, other than perhaps a few good genes for his curiosity about the world.

The only rule I have is that books are precious and I would buy a book before I bought a loaf of bread.

The water is fine here, although some people moan about the taste and prefer to use a filter or buy bottled.

Some tips...never buy the small bottles of coke (600ml etc) from a servo or corner shop or supermarket, they cost more than the 2 litre. At the moment Coles has four 1.25L bottles of coke for $7 ( I don't know what it costs there, but it is not a lot relative to earnings)

Plenty of butchers make biltong, you just have to suss that out when you arrive....and be prepared to pay $40 to $50 Kg.

WRT reading books, most schools take part in the "Premiers reading challenge" each year, at least in WA and QLD, kids must tick off what books they read and then they get a certificate from the Premier of the state.

I hope this answers some of your questions. :)

AndreaL - had a look online what "things" cost and most of everything is no less than double what we would pay in Sydney, restaurants, food, toiletries, wine :cry: housing etc - everything except some electronics like Ipod Nano!! Good to know though as I have always wanted to start an organic veggie garden - do we know anyone on the forum who has discussed this before? Biltong bit, like I said somewhere I just allocated hubby his first hobby though I'm doubtful either of us have the stomach for it, but who knows what we will aspire to once motivated?

Totally agree re books, invaluable!! ICAS results - I gather D stands for Distinction, what does HD stand for? You haveobviously created the right environment for your children to blossm, may I ask how many and ages, type of school you settled for?

Typical SAFFA question but do they just automatically trust that the children are honest in supplying the qty of books that they have read? Wonderful initiative though!!

I dont think you need a strong stomach for biltong. If you can can touch raw meat, slice it to trow in a pan, then you can make biltong. My husband buys topside in about $10 batches at the supermarket, slices it and marinates it in a tupperware in the fridge overnight. Hangs it up in a biltong box the next day. You have biltong about 4 days later. He looked up a recipe on the net, but you could buy it all ready mixed and make your life even easier.

I dont think you need a strong stomach for biltong. If you can can touch raw meat, slice it to trow in a pan, then you can make biltong. My husband buys topside in about $10 batches at the supermarket, slices it and marinates it in a tupperware in the fridge overnight. Hangs it up in a biltong box the next day. You have biltong about 4 days later. He looked up a recipe on the net, but you could buy it all ready mixed and make your life even easier.

Thanks Rozellem, will look it up and your reply made me think of it in a totally different way - if it gets a bit tough I could always wear disposable latex gloves!

See you are in French Forest, how do you find it? We are looking at settling in St Ives in Jan2014- any advice?

wow, I just want to cry for all those TODDLERS sent to boarding school! But I guess it's what I've noticed with some parents here as well - people like the idea of kids, but not necessarily the reality. Being able to ship them all off for most of the week leaves you able to get back to your old way of life - as though you never had kids. :( So very very sad!

Andrea, I tried to look but got confused - can only teachers/schools use the PAT? I would love to know if anyone offers this test in SA.

I can't touch raw meat... chicken is even worse! Hubby manages most of that or at least the parts involving touching hahaha. He also marinades the meat overnight, but just hangs it in our (currently unused) garage to dry out. Seems to work ok. :)

wow, I just want to cry for all those TODDLERS sent to boarding school! But I guess it's what I've noticed with some parents here as well - people like the idea of kids, but not necessarily the reality. Being able to ship them all off for most of the week leaves you able to get back to your old way of life - as though you never had kids. :( So very very sad!

Andrea, I tried to look but got confused - can only teachers/schools use the PAT? I would love to know if anyone offers this test in SA.

I can't touch raw meat... chicken is even worse! Hubby manages most of that or at least the parts involving touching hahaha. He also marinades the meat overnight, but just hangs it in our (currently unused) garage to dry out. Seems to work ok. :)

McCabes - try disposable latex gloves, might help and you can buy in box form from Dischem

The PAT-R testing etc is just for use by teachers but my little boys best friends Mum is a teacher/headmistress so she is able to explain a lot of the "inside knowledge" to me.

Most things in Australia work on trust as do taxes...........road side fruit and veg shops with a trust box.................and the reading challenge parents sign off on it.

P is for pas C for credit, D for distinction and HD is high distinction......................when I did my first Uni subject and got a D I was so disappointed until I found out it was a distinction.....lol.

I have a 14 year old daughter who we are having big problems with as she has a social and anxiety phobia ( story for another day) and an 8 year old boy who is also very shy, but seems to be quite academic....................it must be good genes though as I haven't really taught him much other than a love of reading.

Incidentally, I believe that my son (Adam) fits the gifted child label, A-type personality, perfectionist self critical, socially immature.........................when he was about 5 or 6 he asked me if everyone in the world turned and faced the same direction and sneezed, would the world turn on its axis.............................these days i seem to say "google it" a lot.....................he had to tell me what tessellate meant yesterday.................sigh.................

• Like 2

The PAT-R testing etc is just for use by teachers but my little boys best friends Mum is a teacher/headmistress so she is able to explain a lot of the "inside knowledge" to me.

Most things in Australia work on trust as do taxes...........road side fruit and veg shops with a trust box.................and the reading challenge parents sign off on it.

P is for pas C for credit, D for distinction and HD is high distinction......................when I did my first Uni subject and got a D I was so disappointed until I found out it was a distinction.....lol.

I have a 14 year old daughter who we are having big problems with as she has a social and anxiety phobia ( story for another day) and an 8 year old boy who is also very shy, but seems to be quite academic....................it must be good genes though as I haven't really taught him much other than a love of reading.

Incidentally, I believe that my son (Adam) fits the gifted child label, A-type personality, perfectionist self critical, socially immature.........................when he was about 5 or 6 he asked me if everyone in the world turned and faced the same direction and sneezed, would the world turn on its axis.............................these days i seem to say "google it" a lot.....................he had to tell me what tessellate meant yesterday.................sigh.................

AndreaL - Love the trust box, wow!! The 1 thing that influenced me and I suppose a lot of South Aftricans because of the "reactive environment" we live in is the trust issue - total flip-side in AUS where majority abide by honesty - can't wait to embrace this new lifestyle!!

LOL Agreed! But we have NEVER heard of HD in our school's ICAS results, even when Krystin got the medal award for highest Eng mark in the whole of Southern Africa (gosh, not doing so well after all!!) Out of interest what is the score/% for HD - full marks? Do the schools prepare the kids for the ICAS tests or do you think the schooling curriculum compliments the testing whereas in our school the kids aren't prepped for the tests and where our curriculum is different?

My little one is also quite shy whereas her older sis loves the limelight but will probably take a nose dive once we get there, understandably so - it's tough for the kids to move let alone continents, and having to integrate into a new culture etc. escpecially when they are older.

Adam does seem like he ticks alot of the boxes for GAT and too adorable with how his mind thinks, I just love when one sometimes gets the privilage to get a snippet into the way they think and view the world - so blessed!!! Google it has become my mantra, love having it as a backup, could definately NOT do without it and could not imagine what life would be without knowledge at your fingertips!