Newbie too

Batman4eva

Did you also look at the SOL too?

Remember you can also look at doing most of the application yourself and using an agent for the trickier bits. 489 is a provisional visa ( I don't know too much about it) but it would be better to go 189 or 190 if possible.Mcabes is right, look closely as there are overlaps and other occupations that may list your skills.

BTW if you don't mind sharing, give us a bit more info about occupations and any qualifications/skills and maybe we can guide more, get you on the right track and hopefully save you some money.....the IELT's costs money, but skills assessments also cost a lot!

Hey Batman4eva. Welcome to the forum, it truly is an awesome little corner of cyberspace. I see the guru has got you on the right track. :ilikeit:

Good luck with the planning and journey that lies ahead of you.

thanks guys. ok, me? my forte is the shipping industry - exports/imports/customs/client services. However, i dont have a degree in anything. mine is 22 years experience and acouple of certificates... nothing that gets me on the CSOL list....? what can i do myself ? surely if you sign with the agent, they wont let you do things yourself????

Batman4eve, I'm not sure about that industry, but look up the assessing authority and find out if they do the equivalent of the ACE "recognition of prior learning" - ACS is the Australian Computer Society, and for us IT geeks who never did uni time, they will look at your experience and the (very detailed) project reports you provide for the assessment and then say if your experience and skills are the equivalent of a degree of some kind, then also say how many years experience you can claim (this has to do with the points test again). So maybe there is a similar way to get your skills assessed and see if you can claim the equivalent to a degree.

I'm sure import/export was on the SOL though, last time I looked - though that could have been before September and I think they released new lists then... I checked cause my SIL is in import/export.

@Batman

A good idea is to meet with an agent for an initial assessment. At the beginning we paid a small fee to sit for an hour and discuss our options and get some basic guidance. For example visa types that we would be eligible for, pros and cons of these visas and then info regarding the SOL and our careers and where they fit in etc. It really helped to point us in the right direction. The agent also talked us through the steps of the process which we then used as a building block for the process. We had told the agent upfront that we could not afford the fee of using an agent but he was willing to work on an ad hoc basis with us.

Welcome Bat ... er.... Woman?

It's a long hard ride, but well worth it in the end.

Have you got an idea of where you actually want to end up in Aus?

well, i spoke to the agent first and based on the conversation, he recommended a 489 for South Australia, so i guess Adelaide (which is really kuck cos that the ex wife's name!!) ok, ill phone him and tell him we cant afford that amount and see what he says. the skills assessment isnt cheap either i see. where do i go to do the Skills assessment here in RSA?

guys, this is so confusing. wouldnt it be easier to apply for like a work permit and then apply for a permanent one when we get there?

ok, theres a glimmer of understanding. i have found the booklet for 189/19 & 489. gonna go for a smoke and do some reading. i think i am on the right track. standby all!

Hi Batman4eva, welcome to the forum. You have joined a VERY helpful group of people who are here to help. I also have a sister in Sydney and looked at the 489 sponsored visa option. Just be aware that your sponsor must live in a designated area and, unfortunately, Sydney is excluded, which means that I had to abandon this route. You can have a look here for more info: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/designated-areas.htm

189 / 190 PR visa may be the best bet.

thanks seabassvg. however my man's occupation is not on the SOL for 189/190 but it is on the CSOL. does that make a difference?

Batman - I was sure I replied but can't see it.

Some people view the 489 / employer sponsored (what you called the work permit kind of version) visa as a risky one due to the fact that you can only stay/live/work in Aus as long as you have that job. If you lose your job you have 90days to find someone to take over the visa, otherwise you have to come back.

The employer would have to pay for your return trip, so you would get back, but still - if you've uprooted your whole life it seems daunting to have that possibility in the future.

However, even if you go on a 189/190 - if you're only on the CSOL then try for state sponsored - there are no guarantees - lots have people have gone on 489s and stayed until they got permanent residency and citizenship, and a lot of people who got PR have found it extremely tough to find a job and get things going even though they have the right to stay indefinitely...

State sponsorship may limit you in the area you can live in (and in Aus it's really just way better to follow the rules, they mean them and enforce them, not like here). So just make sure you've looked into the area that seems most likely to give you state sponsorship and are sure it's a place you'd like to stay.

Personally I'd just GO and wouldn't mind living wherever - I have family in perth and near to sydney, and friends in melbourne, but if South Australia is playing my song I'm gonna dance no problemo ;)

hey there, yes we are planning to apply for state sponsorship with SA. we were recommended this visa by the agent i spoke to originally and Joker's profession is quite sought after on SA's website.

that is so exciting!!!!

awesomeness, so that means you can basically move to skills assessments and IELTS-es then?

:D great stuff.

Welcome to the forum :ilikeit: good luck with the process.

ok guys. Oz will have to wait abit before seeing the batsignal in the sky. im gonna go via NZ, easier and cheaper. Keep ya all posted!

What made you decide this? I'm not sure it does....yes you can come to Australia once you have citizenship, but you don't have access to various benefits etc and would end up having to apply for Australian p.r. anyway ( and the cost) as far as I know.

We have a few ex New Zealanders on the forum, wait until you hear what they have to say first.

Read this......http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/40217-australia-vs-new-zealand/

17yearsoutofrsa is probably the most knowledgeable about the pro's and cons.

i cant afford all the fees involved directly to OZ. im just exploring my options. will wait for comments and check the link now. thanks girl!

Fees you cannot avoid are the visa cost, skills assessment and the medical cost and flights, so try and break it down and do it bit by bit.

morning AndreaL

yep, im gonna do it like that. just being "A BULL AT A GATE" (as my mom would say).......going to HA on Thursday for passports...... then seminar in November and english test.... baby steps batman, baby steps!!! :blush: