Newbie too

Batman4eva

Hello everyone, what a fantastic website.

i have taken the first step and convinced Joker (my man) to emigrate. i have spent hours scouring Ozzie's website trying to find a place to start. then i found all of you! HAPPY DAYS.

I have 2 batlings in primary school and since they have altered a very important law here,it is time. please can anyone tell me where to start. im not sure what visa i am eligible for. i do have family here in SA but a sister in Sydney who will sponsor me. however the Oz website says i only qualify if i have no family left here in SA. Is this so?

HELP! WHERE DO I START????

Hi there.....interesting name...lol

Firstly, welcome to the forum, I'm glad you found us. I also lived in Alberton for a time, well actually Brackenhurst, and hubby's folks are in Brackendowns.

Now I'm not an expert, so it might be wise to consult an immigration agent for an initial assessment, some will do this for free or you can run through a checklist of questions on their website to determine eligibility for a visa.

Sponsorship by relatives has changed over the years and some visas require a balance of family test ( the parent) where one has to prove that you have more family in Australia than elsewhere.

Most of the visas require you to pass a points test and have an occupation either on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) or if sponsored by a company, state or family on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List (CSOL)

There is a provisional visa of 4 years the subclass 489 whre you can be sponsored by a state or eligible family member, but you still need to get 60 points, submit an Expression Of Interest (EOI) and be invited to submit a visa application, as well have a skill on the skills list.

Here is the link for that visa http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-489/ However, if you have a skill on the SOL and can get 60 or more points, why not look at the 189 Skilled Independent visa, as it is a permanent residence visa and there is no requirement for your sponsor to be living in a designated area.

Here is the link for the 189 http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-189/

The best thing would be to read through and see what visa you think you would be eligible for and then come back with any specific questions.

Here is the SOL http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/sol.pdf and CSOL http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/csol.pdf

As I said eligibility for visas does change, so it is always good to read from the source- The Department of Immigration and Border Protection http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

Good luck, and yell out with any questions :)

• Like 2

HI Andrea,

oh super! thanks, ill go through the links and check it out. ill send out a batsignal soon.

lol, agree that is an interesting name ;)

welcome to the forum - Andrea has given you some very good info, I'd go with that :D

Good luck with everything!

PS is the law you're referring to the one about the gov being able to determine what a school's capacity is?

I wondered about that too!......but thought I'd let you settle in before we interrogate you for info batman..................you send out that bat signal when you are ready.

BTW you sound like great fun

AG GEE THANKS. No im referring to the law whereby kids 12 - 16 are allowed to have sex if it is consensual. Go figure! im not letting my babies grow any more than necessary. im outta here. so you guys gotta help me. i would have left already, but Joker is kinda stubborn. took me 4 years to convince him

Welcome, may you fly through the research and get a great result!

AG GEE THANKS. No im referring to the law whereby kids 12 - 16 are allowed to have sex if it is consensual. Go figure! im not letting my babies grow any more than necessary. im outta here. so you guys gotta help me. i would have left already, but Joker is kinda stubborn. took me 4 years to convince him

WHAT! And who is going to make sure that it is consensual.....he said she said?

exactly my point. as i said, go figure! good old robben island mentality for you

oyvey... I think they changed that a while ago, and it was actually some group that protect abused kids who was fighting for them to change it because they say the rules as they currently stand would make french kissing between teens a criminal act.

that said, I wholeheartedly agree. I've had people tell me "oh but they do it anyway" as thought that makes it ok, and if we change the law what message are we giving them, exactly??? SO I don't follow the logic there either.

lol - my apologies Andrea... guess I'm a little too nosy ;)

Batman - I've been waiting 7 years for my hubby to say "ok, this place isn't great for kids, let's go see and go from there." So we are finally going on a look-see-decide trip next year. I'm already about 90% decided (the other 10 rears it's ugly head in moments of panic: HOW will we do this??? we will have to leave everything and go somewhere so completely different!)

So I'm at about the same stage as you are - hoping that we can get there and get the final yes let's go for it :)

Oh, re where to start:

check the SOL and CSOL

apply for all documents in unabridged format - birth, marriage, etc

book and write the english tests (IELTS)

apply for skills assessments where applicable

apply for police clearance certificates

Ke? ok, whats a SOL & CSOL? the only thing i am familiar with is the police clearance and EOI (thanks andrea).....but as i said, will be mulling over the links this weekend lol.

SOL = Skilled Occupations List

They basically list the occupations they need a lot of and then work out how many visas they give based on your occupation and your points for english, etc, so they're basically looking at what skilled they are short of and then trying to fill those gaps first.

Can't remember what the C in CSOL stands for but it's like a secondary list that people usually used for state sponsorship if they're on the CSOL but not the SOL...

Hope that's right - Andrea?

Ke? ok, whats a SOL & CSOL? the only thing i am familiar with is the police clearance and EOI (thanks andrea).....but as i said, will be mulling over the links this weekend lol.

Go back up to my post with the links, the links for the SOL and CSOL are there, that is where you will find if either your or Jokers occupation is on the list and it will also tell you what assessing body you need to apply to for a skills assessment ( read, lots of paperwork and cash)

@Mcabes.....if you are nosy, I'm Pinocchio....LOL.........Yep, SOL is for skilled Independent applications like the 189 and CSOL is for employer and state sponsored visa applications

I may be wrong, but I think some occupations are on both, but the list you use relates to the type of visa application you submit.

great, thanks. ok so what you are telling me is that im doing more drinking this weekend than usual? with all this homework?

great, thanks. ok so what you are telling me is that im doing more drinking this weekend than usual? with all this homework?

Ha....you're on my BFF list already, it's 9.50 here in Australia so I've earned myself a nice glass of merlot or two, so I will let you read until your bat vision says..." no more!" and see you all tomorrow

lol, bring out the wine baby!

stagger yourself batman - it gets overwhelming. Maybe check the SOL and CSOL for your occupations and stop there for tonight.

Tomorrow google the points test and see what you can claim. You might be able to go on the PR visa and not need a sponsor at all. But check the points and maybe structure your plan accordingly from there.

Haha Andrea, I doubt it... ;)

Andrea, I would just like to check (mother figure and all that) was that 9.50am or pm?

Andrea, I would just like to check (mother figure and all that) was that 9.50am or pm?

P.M strictly, I'm a night owl and stayed up until about 1.30 am watching Masterchef, hubby is on night shift so my movements change according to his shifts and I tend to do my housework in the evenings if he is night shift as it is much too hot in the day......34 degrees today and it will be 40 on Tuesday!

morning kids, ok i had a look at these links and Joker's occupation is on the CSOL but mine isnt. i think im gonna have to get "organisation help". My sister recommended MigratetoOz.

Dear Bat family...

We live in Brackenhurst, Alberton. When all the "homework" get to you let me know then we can talk about it over a bottle of ummmmmmm let's say happy juice.....

Hi there Cari01.. ITS ON, LIKE DONKEY KONG! I still think im gonna go the MIGRATE2OZ route. As i said, Joker is on the CSOL but im not, so ill leave it to the professionals LMAO.

ok now that ive picked myself up off the floor..... MIgrate2Oz is going to cost me R110 000.00 in total.!! Joker as primary applicant on a 489. any thoughts people?

Batman4eva, why does Joker want to go with an agent? I would def recommend M2Oz, they seem to have a great rep and one of the agents is a member of the forum (that said there are also other members who are also agents - maybe contact them for a quote as well?)

We simply can't afford an agent - not since they doubled the visa cost, especially, so if we both decide YES on the LSD, then we're goint to do this alone. Maybe talk to BriD as she went through all this at the beginning of the year without an agent. I'm sure a number of others have done so too.

If he's just on the CSOL then maybe go with State sponsorship? Also, look at related occupations for yourself. Sometimes there's an overlap or your skills actually cover a couple that are classified separately.

Thanks McCabes. it is hellish expensive. ill start getting the birth certificates etc and talk to BriD.