getting a credit card

Erik

I use a debit card for everything (they are still Visa and I still get my 'points' on the one). I genuinely don't know why someone would use a credit card (unless they needed credit, of course).

I think a lot of people can't manage them and it just turns into a debt spiral. No thanks!

Edited to add: My Anz Visa debit card is coming up for renewal in November as it's several years old. Every time I go in they try and get me to change it to a cheaper thing but I refuse. The staff look at it with consternation, lol. I'm wondering if they are going to refuse to renew it?? Will see.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

I use a debit card for everything (they are still Visa and I still get my 'points' on the one). I genuinely don't know why someone would use a credit card (unless they needed credit, of course).

I think a lot of people can't manage them and it just turns into a debt spiral. No thanks

For us it's simple. We earn around 90,000 frequent flyer points a year from our credit cards. We run ALL of our expenses through the CC - childcare, groceries, utilities, you name it, allowing us to keep the cash where it earns interest. Come end of the month we just pay the balance and never pay interest.

Our recent flights to SA were just about paid for using points earned on credit cards.

We also get other benefits from the CC such as insurance, additional warranties on items purchased, etc that we wouldn't get when paying on a debit card.

You do have to be disciplined though. And have the cash flow available when the bill comes.

I still don't know how you hire a car with a debit card though, have you actually managed that?

• Like 1

@Hansa we have hired cars in about 5 countries with no probs. It must be because both cards we use are 'Visa debit'. They still have the long 16 digit number on the front. Your plan sounds excellent but I know most people aren't that disciplined or organised and so the bank usually wins ;) Good for you making it work :)

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Ok, so I'm assuming they must just take the "pre-auth" amount from your debit card for their damage deposit and then just refund it to you when you bring the car back unbroken?

You're absolutely right, the bank does usually win if you're not careful.

I guess the other reason I don't like waving my debit card around (and why I rather use the credit card) is that - if my details are stolen from the debit card, it's my money they're stealing until I can claim back (if at all) whereas, when it's a credit card, they're stealing the bank's money! :) that exposes the bank to the risk, not me.

We use our credit card in a similar way. The full balance gets paid off every month.

We have two credit cards, by pure chance, one that closes on the 15th and one on the 28th, that gives us the best of both worlds and virtually the max credit period you can get.

I did a rough and ready calculation and worked out the points we get is the equivalent to a 1.5% discount on every purchase.