getting a credit card

Erik

Hi Guys

Is it possible to get and/or where did you get a credit card when you just arrived?

We bought furniture and they would not allow us credit until we were in the country for 6 months. I also applied for a credit card with my bank, NAB, which was declined...

It's a bit of a pain to do everything without one or to use my RSA one.

Thanks

Erik

Hi,

We got a credit card from ANZ after being in the country less than 1 month. However, being on a 457 we were able to produce sufficient info re employment, etc. We used the online option to apply.

We were told by Telstra (aka Oompa Loompa land) that we needed to build up a credit rating to get a cell phone contract and one of the best ways to build that credit rating is with a cell phone contract but that they were sorry but they could not give us a cell phone contract because we weren't credit worthy.

Our banker did mention to us though that we would be able to apply for a credit card after having worked for only a month.

The debit cards these days act and can be processed through a pay point in the same way as a credit card, the only difference is that you need to have the money in the bank.

• Like 1

You can try buying the stuff interest free - google Go Mastercard or GE Creditline.

It was GE Creditline that told us we had to be in the country for 6 months.

Hi,

We got a credit card from ANZ after being in the country less than 1 month. However, being on a 457 we were able to produce sufficient info re employment, etc. We used the online option to apply.

Maybe they are more lenient than NAB...

It's not like I don't have a job or anything ;)

I'm surprised NAB declined you if you have a job. I think that ANZ and Commonwealth Bank are more lenient from my experience. They practically threw a credit card at me and I didn't have a job yet.

Honestly, what I would do in your situation? I would go to NAB and tell them that you would like to close your account. They will obviously ask why. Just calmly point out that it's nothing personal, you would like to go with another institution that you know will offer you a credit card as you really need one. Banks don't like losing customers and I reckon they would make a plan to keep you. It's amazing what sweeteners I've been offered when I've threatened to leave banks and phone companies (without being rude or demanding).

Personally I prefer Commonwealth to NAB or ANZ anyway, their goals are to be far better at customer service than the other two and so far I've been very impressed.

Now I'm rambling..::

Commonwealth gave us one when no one would, not even our own bank (HSBC). I seem to remember the "deal" not being very good, but fine if you paid it off every month. Got one with HSBC after a few months.

Have you asked NAB why you were declined? It happened to us as well so we rang them and had to give some more info before it was approved.

We applied immediately after receiving our contracts for work. No issues and such. Still contemplating cell contracts maybe next month.

It was GE Creditline that told us we had to be in the country for 6 months.

I tried various times to get a GE credit card. The salesman at Harvey Norman told me Ge Money are not keen to give one out if you haven't been at your address for at least a year but even that theory proved to be incorrect. I've been in Australia over 5 years now and tried again a couple of weeks ago and low and behold, they finally gave me one. Can't help but think that it has something to do with citizenship?

I got a credit card from commonwealth as well, they phoned me and convinced me to take one

Zero card fee or account fee as long as i spend $1000 a year on the card, and keeping it in positive means no interest either

Sounds like you should switch banks :P

• Like 1

I got a credit card with CBA pretty much the same day i arrived in the country.

I would got to CBA, try get a CC, and if you can, bank with them and tell NAB your reasons for switching to CBA.

Just to add our experience to this to show that it depends where you are and who you talk to......we couldn't get a credit card on our 457 so ended up with a debit card, we also were nor supposed to get GE credit on a 457 but I got to know a lady in the furniture shop and she opened a few doors for me and lo and behold we had GE credit whilst on a 457.

We then moved to Queensland and I went into my bank (we have been with NAB since arrival) and mentioned to the lady there about not being able to get a credit card when we first arrived and what a hassle it had been to book hotel rooms etc......." rubbish", she said" here in Moranbah we have people arriving from overseas on 457 visas everyday and we give them credit cards"...........so I would tell the bank that you will just move your business elsewhere and see what happens.....

Cashkows Hugo van Zyl was very helpful, they put my daughter in contact with a lady from Westpac and they opened an account for her while she was still in South Africa and she could apply for a credit card the day she went in to sign for her account, she's in Brisbane on a 457 visa

I am a mortgage broker and would tell you it is much better to get a debit card - a lot of people come here and think they need to get a credit card as that is good for building up a credit history - however, people, when you decide to go the next step and buy a house, having a credit card with a high limit is not an advantage but a hindrance, the banks will assess you as having spent to the limit of your credit card and with that it determines a monthly payment for that amount and therefore allowing you to borrow less money - so my idea would be to get a debit visa or to make sure your credit limit is very small.

Just my few cents worth here :)

• Like 1

I am a mortgage broker and would tell you it is much better to get a debit card - a lot of people come here and think they need to get a credit card as that is good for building up a credit history - however, people, when you decide to go the next step and buy a house, having a credit card with a high limit is not an advantage but a hindrance, the banks will assess you as having spent to the limit of your credit card and with that it determines a monthly payment for that amount and therefore allowing you to borrow less money - so my idea would be to get a debit visa or to make sure your credit limit is very small.

Just my few cents worth here :)

We do actually need the credit to set up here. We have most things and can continue as is, but there are some things that will just make live easier. I'm also one of those super prepared people, who would rather have credit and not use it than need it and not have it (I was very seldom in credit in RSA).

)

I disagree in part.

Credit cards are useful for a lot of things, and also safer than debit cards- for example, somebody steals your debit card and and clears your account, your money is gone and you'll have a tough time getting it back. If the same happens with a credit card, you are not liable for transactions you didn't make.

Sure, having a credit card decreases the amount you can borrow but I would say that if your credit card limit is negatively affecting your home loan application then you should ask yourself whether you can actually afford the loan you're trying to apply for.

• Like 1

I use the credit card for all my online purchases, Hansa is spot on, the bank carries the risk

• 10 months later...

Credit cards are a required evil. i got one the day I landed almost with Westpac. Went via Migrant Banking. I prefer cash/debit payments for stuff, but for the same reasons above, use a credit card. All it is, is "unsecured" credit. (It isnt actually if you read the fine print on page 399829..)

If you wanna buy a house, pay up your card and drop the limit to say $1k.

Credit cards are evil, not required. Proud to say I've never succumbed even after (especially after) many years in banking. The ANZ tried to force one on us with their dodgy breakfree package and we cut the sucker up

We got one but had them cap the limit at 500 bucks (that is the minimum they will do) then got a second card for my wife and as long as we spend more than 2k a year we pay no fees of any kind & we ALWAYS keep the card in a positive balance so for us it works, and because it is a credit card you get buyers and fraud protection for free, well worth it.

I use mine essentially like a debit card. I don't believe it's good cash management to keep it in credit but I believe strongly in paying it off each month. I have used at shops like Target and been very grateful I do when I loose the receipt and Target can track a mastercard payment and fund a copy of the receipt but can't help you if you pay with debit card

Credit cards are evil, not required. Proud to say I've never succumbed even after (especially after) many years in banking. The ANZ tried to force one on us with their dodgy breakfree package and we cut the sucker up

They're only evil if you don't manage them. How do you hire a car, book a flight or hotel without one?