South African Universities loosing it

zamunda

shannonc4 - That's what it said in the email. I never bothered to ask why, but thought it best to cover all my bases. I've also seen job ads with BSc Comp Sci degree requirements, where they gave a list of the universities that were acceptable - UNISA wasn't in the list.

Found this: http://www.saet.co.za/articles.aspx?pn=1

Seems that Taiwan doesn't recognise UNISA degrees, because they don't want to open their doors to foreign distance learning institutions.

Edited by qwerty

Hence, we take our kids to the first world for a sustainable education plan/path, I dont get it when people here say that we have the best primary and secondary facilities in the world, if so, what happens after that.........all the above reconfirms that we are definitely doing the difficult but right thing for our kids, the multi-faceted sacrafice will pay off and we will see our kids far better off in the long run.........

• Like 3

shannonc4 - That's what it said in the email. I never bothered to ask why, but thought it best to cover all my bases. I've also seen job ads with BSc Comp Sci degree requirements, where they gave a list of the universities that were acceptable - UNISA wasn't in the list.

Found this: http://www.saet.co.za/articles.aspx?pn=1

Seems that Taiwan doesn't recognise UNISA degrees, because they don't want to open their doors to foreign distance learning institutions.

Makes perfect sense. I'm hoping to do my masters through the University of New South Wales. UNISA just isn't what it used to be. Good for Taiwan, I'm surprised any country recognizes SA degrees anymore.

MikeLeigh, just wanted to say that I wish more parents would think like you. The best gift we can give our children is a great education in a stable, healthy, happy environment. I know I'm biased, but I think Australia (not perfect, but then no where is) is hard to beat on most counts. Good luck in the ACT, our friends there have settle in really well :-)

Edited by Joeemm
  • Like 1

South African nursing qualifications are no longer recognized in Australia

You guys are depressing me so much now.

I only have about a year left to finish my B-Comm law through UNISA. It's too late to try something else now or switch so close to the finish.

If they don't acknowledge my degree that will not be cool at all. I just hope my work experience will count for something that side otherwise I'm screwed.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest Universities are one of the big reasons for me looking at Oz. My oldest child bounces between wanting to be a paed or a vet.... Sure she may well change her mind but I can't guarantee her a place at a varsity or once I have coughed up a huge amount of cash, there is a good chance it won't be recognized anywhere but here. I can't comfortably set her up for this! How sad!

Hi Crossingover,

It may be sad, but it is true and (as I've said before on the forum) if we are lucky enough to have the opportunity to move then there is no question in my mind, we owe it to our children to give them a safe, friendly place to grow up in and a future where they can realise all their amazing potential.

Focus on them and, because they are the future, you'll never look back :glare:

Do you think they assess your degree at the time of study?. I did my degree at UCT 13 years ago when it was still considered a very academically strong institution. I also lectured part time and left due to being forced to 'pass' students. Not so confident about the degree offered today though.