Anyone on here moved from Sydney to Brisbane?

MiniDachsie

Hi everyone

I've been living in Sydney now for nearly 6 years, and I'm really not enjoying it anymore. I'm considering a move to somewhere else in Australia, and even possibly New Zealand! Don't judge :) I know most of NZers are in Aus!

I'm looking for a more relaxed lifestyle, affordable property to buy, nicer people?, less stress, etc. What draws me to NZ is the countryside, just love it!

Anyways, no job yet, so I guess it all depends on jobs, and that has been really slow. I'm considering opening a business, but still early days. Have to first decide exactly where I want to go!

So, I'm asking those who moved to Brisbane from Sydney if they are happy with their move, why did they move, what do they like/not like about Brisbane,etc.

Why don't you consider moving slightly north of Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast? If it's a slower lifestyle you are looking for then this is the place for you.

We stayed in Brisbane when we first arrived in Australia a couple of months ago and although it was nice it is still the city. We wanted rural and urban combined and that's exactly what we have here. Work may be a bit scarce but if you can find a job, it's the place to be.

I'd love to live in the Sunshine Coast, but alas, where will I find work? Me and the missus are stuck in the corporate ratrace, and there is not much opportunities for us in places where life is livable and the air breathable, like the Sunshine Coast.

By the way, we're in Brisbane next week. We're moving there, leaving Darwin on Tuesday morning 1am...

We know where we'll be working in Brisabane (New Farm), but we're not sure where we'll be living yet. We've got temporary accomodation in a holiday villa-type place, which is ironically cheaper per week than our rental in Darwin is. :glare:

Sunshine Coast is on my list, but yes, concerns are work and also age group of people living there? Is it more of a holiday/retirement place? Sorry, I have no idea so hope I'm not insulting anyone! I'm after quieter, but I'm also single so would want to be somewhere where there aren't just families?

I'd love to live in the Sunshine Coast, but alas, where will I find work? Me and the missus are stuck in the corporate ratrace, and there is not much opportunities for us in places where life is livable and the air breathable, like the Sunshine Coast.

By the way, we're in Brisbane next week. We're moving there, leaving Darwin on Tuesday morning 1am...

We know where we'll be working in Brisabane (New Farm), but we're not sure where we'll be living yet. We've got temporary accomodation in a holiday villa-type place, which is ironically cheaper per week than our rental in Darwin is. :glare:

Ratrace, what ratrace :)

As you know I work near New Farm and live roughly 4km from Brisbane city. This is our local creek:

9082620389_94ba5802a2_b.jpg
Untitled by fish.2, on Flickr
The commute to work. Not rats but there are possums :)

6952787344_7baae7f2b8_b.jpg
Untitled by fish.2, on Flickr
Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Maroochydore, Alex Headlands or Mooloolaba are the place for you. The Sunny Coast Uni is near and they are the local hang out for the students.

Awesome, Fish, awesome...

We are looking for areas that are sort of affordable where we can get a 3/4 bedroom with 2 bathrooms (two women in the house, so it's a prerequisite for me) and enough space to swing the proverbial cat and have a swimmingpool in the yard.

It needs to be close to schools, otherwise the missus will have a wobble, and I like some peace and quiet with access to cycling tracks, if possible. Either way, the shorter the commute to work, the better.

We'd like to rent in the area first before buying, just to be sure we like everything, but our budget is definately below $550 000, and even that is streching it a bit.

Basically, I feel like we're looking for chickens teeth...

I'm not that young anymore :( above 30, so not necessarily looking for students to hang out with, just not an area where there are ONLY families.

Awesome, Fish, awesome...

We are looking for areas that are sort of affordable where we can get a 3/4 bedroom with 2 bathrooms (two women in the house, so it's a prerequisite for me) and enough space to swing the proverbial cat and have a swimmingpool in the yard.

It needs to be close to schools, otherwise the missus will have a wobble, and I like some peace and quiet with access to cycling tracks, if possible. Either way, the shorter the commute to work, the better.

We'd like to rent in the area first before buying, just to be sure we like everything, but our budget is definately below $550 000, and even that is streching it a bit.

Basically, I feel like we're looking for chickens teeth...

No worries mate. You're not in one of those expensive capital cities like Darwin anymore :) Brisbane second cheapest mainland capital now :)

Good govt primary school catchment enough or do you want a good govt high school catchment as well ?

My first pick. Not sure about the quality of the local govt schools (?) having never lived there but the Ferny Grove area is a quiet affordable family area with an express train to the valley (next to new farm) that only takes 22 mins.

Train timetable: http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/network-information/timetables/130129-ferny-grove-line.pdf (pdf)

eg:

$495,000, 3bed, 2bath, 2car -> http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ferny+grove-113793767

$499,000, 3bed, 2bath, 3car, pool, right next to schools -> http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ferny+grove-113670387

$499,000, 4bed, 2bath, 2car, pool, near schools, visitors rooms under the house with separate kitchen -> http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-ferny+grove-113938503

Note these are all 1960's/1970's style houses that have been renovated hence they are more affordable. You sacrifice street appeal but get a good solid house.

Ferny Grove is the last suburb before the mountains/rural acreages begin so little through traffic/expansion.

You are just over the hill from Samford Village. It is a acreage estate area with a little community centre with a few cafes/pubs/school etc. Nice horsey, country feel.

SamfordVillage.jpg

proposed-lot-2-bergman-street-samford-vi

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Sunshine Coast is on my list, but yes, concerns are work and also age group of people living there? Is it more of a holiday/retirement place? Sorry, I have no idea so hope I'm not insulting anyone! I'm after quieter, but I'm also single so would want to be somewhere where there aren't just families?

What sought of things would you like in the area you live ? Do you need public transport into the CBD for office work?

No worries mate. You're not in one of those expensive capital cities like Darwin anymore :) Brisbane second cheapest mainland capital now :)

Good govt primary school catchment enough or do you want a good govt high school catchment as well ?

Government is more than fine! :)

You're giving me hope here. Best fitting three/two with pool we could fine was $780 000, about 20km down the track from Darwin in Palmerston, and yes, it is still only a 25 minute commute.

Darwin may be expensive, but traffic is never an issue. Ever!

Government is more than fine! :)

You're giving me hope here. Best fitting three/two with pool we could fine was $780 000, about 20km down the track from Darwin in Palmerston, and yes, it is still only a 25 minute commute.

Darwin may be expensive, but traffic is never an issue. Ever!

Well Ferny Grove is 22 minutes on the train and $300,000 cheaper :) (See my realestate links I edited in above if you missed them)

Edited by Fish

Second suburb: The Gap

This suburb is dearer than Ferny Grove but has an excellent state high school with a long standing reputation. It is surrounded by trees and has a very family friendly feel. It is a quiet very suburban style suburb surrounded by mountains. A 25-30 minute bus ride to the city: http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/network-information/timetables/120618-385,N385,382,383,P384.pdf. It is just across a hill from Ferny Grove and Upper Kedron.

$570,000 (make an offer) 4bed, 2bath, 2car, pool -> http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-the+gap-114111627

$589,000 4bed, 2bath, 2car, room for pool, more contemporary -> http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-the+gap-113882979

$519,000 3bed, 2bath, 2car, pool -> http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-the+gap-113848883

Edited by Fish

Well Ferny Grove is 22 minutes on the train and $300,000 cheaper :) (See my realestate links I edited in above if you missed them)

Looks really good.

I see there is a spot next to it, Kedron, with House and Land packages starting around $430 000. Just don't tell the missus! I don't like the idea of building, besides, building can become too lonterm a project. I don't want to wait a year(?) for a place.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. :ilikeit:

Looks really good.

I see there is a spot next to it, Kedron, with House and Land packages starting around $430 000. Just don't tell the missus! I don't like the idea of building, besides, building can become too lonterm a project. I don't want to wait a year(?) for a place.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. :ilikeit:

Just note it is called "Upper" Kedron. For some reason Kedron is 10km away from Upper Kedron...go figure :wacko:

Upper Kedron does have some little modern estates but maybe not quite as walkable to schools/train?

Edited by Fish

Just note it is called "Upper" Kedron. For some reason Kedron is 10km away from Upper Kedron...go figure :wacko:

Upper Kedron does have some little modern estates but maybe not quite as walkable to schools/train?

That's the one... "Upper"

We have some time next week as we've taken the whole week off, so we'll be exploring a bit. We'll be looking for rentals, so we'll cruise the areas to see what we like.

Our vehicle is probably already in Brisbane, if not, very close, as we've sent it last Monday already to make sure it's there when we arrive. We'll be properly mobile to check out things like distances to schools and bus/train links, shops, etc.

What sought of things would you like in the area you live ? Do you need public transport into the CBD for office work?

Don't know yet about work, just trying to figure out if people who left Sydney are happy in Brisbane.....perhaps there aren't many who left Sydney?!

Anyways, I'm after more relaxed lifestyle, but not too dead. Still want to meet people, go for walks (I have two dogs), easy commute to Brisbane as I do know some people there, green and open surroundings? Or blue views :). Fresh food markets? Not sure if all of these are possible.

Don't know yet about work, just trying to figure out if people who left Sydney are happy in Brisbane.....perhaps there aren't many who left Sydney?!

Anyways, I'm after more relaxed lifestyle, but not too dead. Still want to meet people, go for walks (I have two dogs), easy commute to Brisbane as I do know some people there, green and open surroundings? Or blue views :). Fresh food markets? Not sure if all of these are possible.

We get a fair few who leave for similar reasons to yourself...and the expense of Sydney.

Shouldn't be a problem. Would you prefer country style living with a longer commute or closer in green living near city markets with a shorter commute?

Friends of ours left Sydney about 2 years ago to move to the Gold Coast. They seem really happy and content with their decision, even though they left 2 of their 3 boys in Sydney. They were able to buy a house within the first year of moving there. I don't think you can go wrong, depending obviously on whether you can find a job. My husband and I are also thinking of moving to Brisbane (including looking at the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, and further north of Brisbane.

• Like 1

We get a fair few who leave for similar reasons to yourself...and the expense of Sydney.

Shouldn't be a problem. Would you prefer country style living with a longer commute or closer in green living near city markets with a shorter commute?

Probably closer to start with, rent first and then explore areas, etc. I would like to get out of apartment living, have a bit more outdoor space for me and dogs.

It's all about the job.....

How bad are the mozzies there? I find them quite bad here in Sydney, but I think that's be ause they love me!

Friends of ours left Sydney about 2 years ago to move to the Gold Coast. They seem really happy and content with their decision, even though they left 2 of their 3 boys in Sydney. They were able to buy a house within the first year of moving there. I don't think you can go wrong, depending obviously on whether you can find a job. My husband and I are also thinking of moving to Brisbane (including looking at the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, and further north of Brisbane.

Good luck with your possible move!

We spent our first year in Sydney on the Northern Beaches (Mona Vale) and absolutely loved it! We were on a 457 so didn't have much of a choice when we moved to Brisbane. We lived there for 18 months in Moggill and HATED it! We didn't like much about Brisbane. First off, there's absolutely no 'vibe' like there is when you head into Sydney's city centre. Brisbane has no character. Sydney's water is this sparkly blue most of the time and there's so much action that takes place around the waterways. Brisbane has this brown, muddy, smelly river snaking through it which is just plain ugly and only serves to make a quick 5km drive as the crow flies a massive 30km trek through traffic to get to the nearest bridge. Because of the fact that you have to work around bridges to get anywhere in Brisbane, we found the traffic far worse than in Sydney. I also found the Queenslanders (warning! generalisation ahead!) to be very backward thinking and pretty redneck for the most part - especially in their attitudes to foreigners (we're all invading their country to steal their jobs!).

Work then took us to Canberra where we've been for close on three years now. Canberra is absolutely lovely with NO traffic. A big country town really. Property prices are pretty steep though. But the sea is calling (we both grew up at the coast, so living inland is torture!) and we're now plotting our return to Sydney's beautiful Northern Beaches within the next few months. Although we'd love to move to Coff's Harbour, we're not confident of being able to get work there as the economy's not booming at the moment. We can still dream and being in Sydney will mean we're a few hours closer to Coffs for holidays. :-)

If you're wanting to really get a feel for Brisbane, spend a few weeks there before you move. Not over school holidays. Live like a local. Shop at local supermarkets, visit the local schools, commute at rush hour to and from the city, hang out in the city during a working day. Don't just be a tourist in the city - look at it with open eyes and visualise yourself doing the daily grind there AND look at what you'd do for leisure on weekends. Be very sure of your decision. Interstate moves are expensive.