Difference between CSOL and SOL

turbotwink

Hello everyone

Could anyone maybe help me understand the difference between SOL and CSOL?

My fiancé and I are hoping to make the big move with a 489 visa with an eligible family member sponsoring us. But at the moment I am a bit confused as to which skills list can be used for this visa.

I am an attorney so my profession is on SOL but I have heard that you have to be admitted in Australia as an attorney for this to be considered. I am also not sure I have enough experience in this field.

Fiancé' s occupation as a Sales and Marketing Manager, however, is on CSOL. He also has more than enough experience.

Does anyone know if we can use his occupation to apply for a 489 visa. Otherwise, can I use my occupation, even though I am not admitted as an attorney in Australia?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

SOL is the list of occupations in demand for the independent 189 visa and CSOL is the consolidated list of occupations, which are less in demand which are for any other points-based visa like the 190 state sponsored for example.

Not sure about the requirements for your occupation, but if his occupation is on CSOL, maybe consider state sponsorship if the state you want to go to has his occupation on the list. Otherwise consider employer sponsorship on a 186/187 visa if he can secure a job and have them sponsor him. Both are permanent residency visas which is much better than the 489!

Have a look at www.skillselect.gov.au for a break down of all the visas

Edited by sianvz

Ok so I don't know if this answers your question but here is some related info....

The SOL is a list of skills that are in shortage all over Australia. The CSOL list is a list of skills that are in shortage in certain states, more research will tell you which states are looking for that skill. If you go on a CSOL skill you have to live in that state for a 2 years. If you go on a SOL skill then you may go anywhere in Australia.

I am not sure how this info fits into a visa that is sponsored by a family member... Maybe someone else can help with info there.

But I'm sure you still need to go through the skills assessment process for the profession you choose and this is a complicated process because you have to prove your qualifications and experience in that field only once you have that can you take the next step.

Thanks for the feedback! Am also hoping someone can help me with the 489 family sponsorship question.

Lady Snoo, just starting with the whole complicated EOI process and will definitely still need to have our skills assessed, just needing a bit more info on whose occupation to have assessed! Still a long road ahead of us!

My advice will be who ever has the most experience related to there qualification. they very sticky with acknowledging experience years that are not very close to your qualification. also the one that has the best relationship with ex- employers who are willing to verify the info for you. The process requires a very detailed list of duties and responsibilities. We are using an agent and are getting advice from him.

If you go on the profession on the CSOL list check which state is sponsoring that profession and if you want to be near family and its not the same state then the decision of which one might be easier to make.

I hope someone on here has gone the 489 route who can give you more info....

Hello Turbowink,

The occupations on the SOL allow you to appply for a SC189 or SC489 FAMILY sponsored visa. The CSOL occupations allow you to apply for a SC190 or SC489 STATE sponsored visa. Many states also sponsor occupations on the SOL and this is fine.

The skills assessment process for an attorney requries that you are admittied to practice in the state that you intend to live/work in. It can be a complex process. The skills assessment process for a Sales/Marketing Professional can be much more straight forward.

Feel free to email me at stephen@migrateaus.com.au if you would like me to assess your options.

Regards

Thanks SD_MOA

Just as I thought!

Oh well, then we'll just have to use fiancé s occupation and hope for a 190 state/territory sponsored visa!