Optus vs Telstra vs Rest (Cable/ADSL Internet Connectivity)

GideonVD

Which you got?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which you got?

• Optus ADSL
    • Telstra ADSL
    • Other ADSL
    • Optus Cable
    • Telstra Cable
    • Other Cable
    • NBN

I think the word would have originally been Jewish, but has become common parlance in South Africa, and obviously is still part of my mental dictionary http://www.thefreedictionary.com/schlepp...............I'm locked into Telstra for 2 years Fish, I also have mobiles with them.

• Like 1

2746905327.png

Seems to me that my worst fears are realised, we are slower than 78% of Australia. Thanks Telstra!

Edited by Sunnyskies

2746905327.png

Seems to me that my worst fears are realised, we are slower than 78% of Australia. Thanks Telstra!

How come? You are in Melbourne and I am in the sticks!

Scary indeed :o

Actually, even Telstra think there is something wrong. Now if they could just get their technician to come to our house when someone is here that would probably start answering some of the questions. I mean really, it takes us 4 hours to download a 1.5 hour movie on Apple TV. At that rate it is quicker and less frustrating to walk to my nearest video rental outlet (of which there are not many around due to the pirate downloading that happens in Australia and which has killed the industry) and rent the movie.

Useless fact I heard on the radio. The producers of Game of Thrones have appealed to Australians to stop downloading the series illegally! For a generally law abiding nation, we apparently are one of the worst offenders when it comes to illegal downloading. I know of some people who have never paid for a download and they watch all the series as they come available online in the USA.

We live in Brisbane in a fairly new estate (built 1994) and we don't get to choose certain service suppliers such as cable Internet, electricity, etc. due to infrastructure.

We have Telstra T-bundle everyday connect at $100 per month with BigPond® Broadband 200GB Elite - Cable.

post-16175-0-48401500-1370209482_thumb.j

Would love to get cable, but that depends on where we will be finally renting and if they have infrastructure there.

I think the infrastructure is fairly good, especially the closer you are to the CBD and inner suburbs. We reviewed all our options and decided on the TPG ADSL 2+ with home phone. It's only $59.99 per month, and you get unlimited data and up to 20Mbps. The tests show that we seem to be getting about 14-15Mbps.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We've settled for the Optus Naked Cable (ADSL 2+) - 300 GB monthly cap for AUD85/month. Haven't had any problems or issues thus far.

2841269280.png

That doesn't look much better than Telkom's current 10/4Mbps ADSL... :o

It really seems Telstra's got a bit of an edge in terms of infrastructure.

How far is VDSL roll out in Oz?

The current government is committed to a FTTH rollout.

No supplier will invest in VDSL while FTTH is happening, there's no point. The FTTH roll isn't going well and targets are not been met. The opposition is not in favour of FTTH but rather a FTTN roll out so I suspect Australia is going to skip the VDSL step. (Assuming I've understood VDSL correctly)

When we moved into our area in Adelaide we didn't have a choice..only thing available was Telstra ADSL2 so that's what we have. We pay $70 a month and get home line and 50GIG which is fine for us for now. We have so much airtime on our pre-paid cells that we don't use the home phone much at all and 50 gig has been enough for internet. No issues whatsoever on speeds, but as I am at work I don't know what the actual rates are. Will try post them tonight. I know recently they installed the fibre optic cables in our area but not sure what difference that will make.

Edited to add..my download speed is like lightning compared to the ADSL and even 3G speeds I got in South Africa...

Edited by miraclebabycaw

Fibre is the NBN, so might bring speeds up from at least 100Mbps to up to 1Gbps... :)

But yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what's available in our area once we've found more permanent rental ;)