Optus vs Telstra vs Rest (Cable/ADSL Internet Connectivity)

GideonVD

Which you got?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which you got?

• Optus ADSL
    • Telstra ADSL
    • Other ADSL
    • Optus Cable
    • Telstra Cable
    • Other Cable
    • NBN

So I'd like to here from Melbourne citizens, which service provider are you with (Telstra/Optus/Other), what connection type you have (Cable/ADSL) and what's the speed and connection reliability like.

PS: Please, this is for fixed wire internet connections only and not wireless/mobile/3G/4G.

Thanks

:)

Edited by GideonVD

I won't vote in your poll as I'm in Brisbane but you might want to broaden it as I imagine you will get the same range of good, bad and ugly in most of the larger cities. For the record I'm on ADSL 2+ and get 17 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.

For those who don't know ADSL is usually affected more by your distance from the exchange than anything else so someone else in my suburbs could get far worse speeds if they live much further from our local suburban telephone exchange.

Edited by Fish

Thanks Fish, I'm also trying to establish the level of average Speed and Quality of Connection for each option :).

Edited by GideonVD

Thanks Fish, I'm also trying to establish the level of average Speed and Quality of Connection for each option :).

Fwiw, my ADSL2+ consistently connects at around the speed I listed and I hardly ever have connection issues...pretty rock solid for years...of course ISP has an influence on that...

Brand new estates might have NBN but be careful of new estates that are a little bit older. Some are attached to exchanges that were made for outer rural areas that have now been turned into massive housing estates. The telecoms staff split the telephone lines up to serve more than one house on a single line (pair gain) which then made the subsequent high demand for ADSL impossible to service...

Edited by Fish

Also cant vote....still in SA but its good to know.

My Question is more like.

1. uncapped/unlimited ?

2. price ?

3. bundle deals ?

Also cant vote....still in SA but its good to know.

My Question is more like.

1. uncapped/unlimited ?

2. price ?

3. bundle deals ?

http://www.optus.com.au & http://www.telstra.com.au

I can't vote Gideon :( but like Fish am on ADSL 2+..............how do you check your speed? I ran a test through Oz Broadband speed test and it says

You uploaded 1 MB bytes in 10.38 seconds.

kbps: 809.08
KB/s: 101.13
Mbps: 0.81

A person can get speeds using www.speedtest.net

Give the website a minute to load, then click on the green “BEGIN TEST” at the top (lots of adverts on the site, so make sure you click on the correct button – the GREEN BUTTON at the top).

(Results will always vary slightly if you do the test a few times, but should always be fairly similar)

Our Optus Cable gives Ping = 12ms, Download speed = 24.8Mbps, Upload speed = 1.7 Mbps

We are on an Optus cable bundled package and pay $110 per month. This package gives us 300GB data a month, and free Australia wide landline and mobile phone calls (but we pay for “13”
number calls, which most businesses etc seem to use. Router and phone line rental is also included. The service has been stable.

• Like 1

Thanks Basil & Liezl, very good to know.

Mine is the Tesltra T bundle Connector edge, $130 pm, 500Gb on ADSL 2, free local and national calls as well as other Telstra mobiles, i pay 5c per min for RSA and 2c per min to the UK

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/personal-critical-information-summary-t-bundles-e-a-500gb.pdf

For those that reply, go to http://www.speedtest.net, wait for the page to load completely and then click on the "Begin Test" button on the map.

When the test completes, click on the "Share Results" button. Select "Forum" tab on the page and then click copy.

Paste the image link in your response to share your speed test results :)

I see a lot of options being ticked at the poll side, but little in terms of feedback. :)

http--,,--//2728549544.png

And when I do it on Chrome http--,,--//2728555575.png

I'm wireless.....don't know if that helps

Will have to test when on my desktop. iPad doesn't do flash :(

Hehehehe... you do get the SpeedTest app... but yeah... doen't allow you to attach results on iPad ;)

Too many apps on my ipad anyway, so I've limited what I can download.

So.....explain what my results mean...........I'm technically challenged, and why so different via Firefox and then chrome? :)

Your speed isn't bad for ADSL2+, but you seem to have a slightly high ping time, this might be due to distance from the exchange or congestion on the network.

I have been told by a local computer tech that Townsville is routed through our exhange or network......or something like that, so we do get a high volume......here is some tech stuff that is way above my head http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1909121

http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/access-broadband-adslex03.xls

From my googling I've come to some conclusions:

• Telstra is the best bet for fast and stable ADSL2+, Velocity (Fibre to Home) and NBN connections in Melbourne.
  • Optus seems to have the upper hand on Cable connections in Melbourne.
  • Telstra also seems to offer the best 4G (their Next G network) connectivity in and around Melbourne.
  • Internode ISP offers competitive alternatives on ADSL2+ and NBN connections.

We are with iiNet in Ellenbrook near Perth. ADSL1 broadband line as ADSL2 not available in our area. Speedtest.net results:

Ping: 24ms, Download 18.5 Mbps and upload 0.83 Mbps.

These were via wireless router.

z

Edited by zetman

Based in Melbourne, got Telstra cable...on the elite package so get 36 mbit down, for an extra $20 a month I can get 100 mbit....in my opinion you cant beat Telstra for cable

From my googling I've come to some conclusions:

• Telstra is the best bet for fast and stable ADSL2+, Velocity (Fibre to Home) and NBN connections in Melbourne.
  • Optus seems to have the upper hand on Cable connections in Melbourne.
  • Telstra also seems to offer the best 4G (their Next G network) connectivity in and around Melbourne.
  • Internode ISP offers competitive alternatives on ADSL2+ and NBN connections.
The Telstra and Optus broadband ADSL plans are often seen as the mom and dad plans that are heavily advertised and expensive. Some of the smaller ISP's are seen to offer better value and/or service. Haven't checked myself lately but that has always been the perception to give you a heads up.

The telstra mobile network on the other hand is broadly recognised as the best...and dearest though the price gap has closed somewhat recently.

Edited by Fish

Mine is the Tesltra T bundle Connector edge, $130 pm, 500Gb on ADSL 2, free local and national calls as well as other Telstra mobiles, i pay 5c per min for RSA and 2c per min to the UK

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/personal-critical-information-summary-t-bundles-e-a-500gb.pdf

Is TPG in your area? ...they are a lot cheaper usually.

adsl2plus-homephoneMainbanner2.jpg?i=136

Edited by Fish

I really want to keep to one account and don't want to change my email addie.....too much schlepp. I looked at TPG do Moranbah, but there would be set up costs etc, Telstra is fairly reliable in these parts

I really want to keep to one account and don't want to change my email addie.....too much schlepp. I looked at TPG do Moranbah, but there would be set up costs etc, Telstra is fairly reliable in these parts

I don't know what schlepp is but it doesn't sound pleasant ;) You need new email address independent of any ISP you sign up for: AndreaL@gmail.com. Job done :) Banner advert says setup costs included plus it even includes the modem. Saves $1150 compared to the Telstra plan. Do I have to call them for you ? :grads::D