Excess baggage company vs Move cube?

sammyjo

So you can fit quite a bit in. Thanks for the info.

Toitjie, if you order packing material would they bring it with the cube? you would have to pack in record time. We would need boxes for the tv's.

Does anyone know if all tv's would work in Oz? I have heard that some do and some don't.

My advise will be to start collecting boxes from all over, then get the box tape lots of it, 2 meter high roll of bubble wrap, and 2 meter high packaging cardboard, you should be able to source at a packaging company.

I thought those prices where very high, check out the plastic shop not sure you get that in JHB, or any plastic storage containers, remember you can also pack inside all the void areas, your kitchen Tupperware put stuff in that and then fill the void.

I found out that if you order the boxes as I mentioned above, you can keep them, no need to give it back

their website is a little confusing as I thought you have to give it back, it even says if you damage it you have to pay a penalty. At least now I know more or less what it will cost

As long as you have an LCD TV with HDMI ports they will work

thanx Shaz, very useful advise. I also thought it was a bit expensive. I will get bubblewrap from Plastilon in Gezina, they are relatively cheap, and maybe have boxes too

They use the same cable connections here TV coaxial connection/RCA for the free tv channels or box top which also give you 18 free channels or you can go with Foxtel ( love it ) which uses the HDMI TV connection.

Where in Australia are you going?

Brendia, I got the impression that as soon as I pay the deposit they will send me the boxes and starter pack if i wish, and later the cube. I have to start packing now since we have to move out of our house by June but we fly only in August so I dont want the cube now, only boxes if Im going to use theirs. I think I need to get their flatscreen box for the TV but other boxes I should be able to find elsewhere

this is really so exciting...for the first time we are making actual plans!

Ok great, then our tv's will be fine!! We not sure where we are going to land up yet. We will have to see what visa we can apply for once we get the Ielts results next week. Hoping to get to Perth but we will see.

Aww I see about the boxes. Yes, I think it would way to much for them to bring everything the day that you have to pack the cube. We also have a plastic and box place nearish to where we are. Will go have a look. That's great that you are eventually making plans :) I see your visa was granted in 2011! I'm sure it's been a long wait. At least you know you are on track and will be in Oz soon. Good luck with all the moving and packing.

• Like 1

Shaz - I see you also loaded a bike. did you remove the pedals? I see they say on their website that customs expect the pedals to be taken off. Im not sure why and Im not sure I know how or to put them back. Is this really necessary?

Thanks Shazpas.

u have been very help full.

i think i will go with a large move cube and fill it up with some new furniture.

I removed the front wheel and the pedals taped everything up on to the bike frame then bubble wrapped and then put the cardboard wrap around that, just make sure you scrub the wheels and pedals they will check for sand, also make sure you pack the bike in the front with your shoes because that will be checked. All treated wood is allowed if your wood has been stained and varnished all good to bring in they just don't allow bamboo, raw wood, seeds,beads, grasses, wicka if painted or stained/ varnished its okay.

Remember how you do your itemized list is important how you name your stuff, I just said "bed side table" not wooden bedside table

I think they would have checked everything if I said the word wood.

Just to let you know you can purchase a new bike here at a place called Big W from $98 to $150

hi Shaz..thanx for the tips! I have listed all your tips in my little excel spreadsheet list :)

the bikes we have are mountainbikes, not sure what the replacement cost is, but they are fairly new.

Where did you get the cardboardwrap to put around the bike? Or did you just take a big box and dissasembled it?

Those prices I gave you where for mountain bikes, the cardboard roll I purchased from a packaging company together with the tape and bubble wrap.

@Toitjie, you should be able to get a bicycle box from your local bike shop (eg Leighs at the Pav, or the new shop at the Westville Mall etc)

Is it only Seven Seas who does the move cubes?

They only go to major cities. I am not living in a major city. Does this mean that I will have to pack my stuff and drive to a major city te meet them?

• Like 1

Best is to contact them via email, they responded within the hour and even phoned me when we had a misunderstanding

I went to Plastilon in Pretoria West yesterday. What a shop!! Its officially my new favourite shopping place (Builders Warehouse always was)

they have absolutely everything. I bought 50 cardboard boxes for R 17 each, there are hundreds of different sizes. As well as a whole roll of bubble wrap, some clear plastic containers and 5 rolls of tape. Now im ready to start packing :)

Good one Toitjie, word of advise have pen / paper with you and note items you are packing EG: box 1 - plates / cutlery / dish towels / mugs, and so on use all of your hand towels and clothes to push around each void space you will be surprised how much you can fit into one box, remember if you are taking a large move cube you have 1500KG weight in total it's a lot. So pack your boxes fill but make sure you can still carry them.

• Like 1

You can get an instant quote on Sevenseas for boxes and certain items. They're super affordable if you ship over 2 months!
It works out to roughly R600+ per large 30kg box and you can also ship separately a tv from R1000 and sporting equipment as well.

You can choose a S/M/L box and each has it's weight limit.

www.sevenseasworldwide.com

send me your email addresses and I will email you photos of the movecube

I have a few bulky items of wood like the TV cabinet, a bookcase and a small bar (for glasses and wine bottles)

do I need to wrap these items in cardboard? The bookcase is big, I dont know how Im going to put cardboard around it - or will it suffice if I just put it in the corner and pack other boxes closely together so that it fits snugly in the corner?

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I found this post - busy investigating move cube now. Lots of helpful tips. Glad I can actually use any boxes to start packing.

Think I'll make out the dimensions in the study (of the M/L one) then as I pack I can stack and then I'll know which size cube to use.

The quote I got for the large cube was R11950, then $349 for (goods examination fee), R1440 for insurance and R1800 deposit = ~R18680 for large cube and then customs duties on Oz side.

Gosh my head wants to explode with the "to-do" lists I have running concurrently!

• Like 2

above is the same amount I paid from Durban to Canberra,ACT Australia

• 5 months later...

Hi All, just a quick question, are you allowed to pack boxes in your fridge? What about small appliances/clothes/shoes etc. in your washing machine?

I am really interested in these move cubes, so thanks all for sharing.

However though, seeing the cost, is it not more viable to share a container, where you only use a certain amount of space in a container, and you pay for what you use? Drawback is that it can only be shipped when full, 6 weeks if you take your own, and 9-12 weeks shared.

We in a dilema in that we have an old piano, organ and old cabinet, (old heirlooms) and I doubt they will fit in the movecubes, and still leave room for golf clubs and fishing equipment.